cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Contributor ConfusedJen
Contributor

How to set up a BYO modem???

Hi, trying to connect to Optus FTTN with a TP-Link Archer VR600. Using the TP-LINK app with every combination of passwords I have. I was told by Optus I would need my username ( Optus email address) and password but nothing seems to work. I don’t need the phone component as I’m using a mobile for home phone. So how do I get the TP-Link up and running. Should I use the PC to configure rather than the mobile app? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: How to set up a BYO modem???

Your username and password is all you should need. Have you had any other modem/router hooked up and working.? if yes, then some configuration issue I am thinking and a reset might help.  If not, then it is feasably possible that you are not yet connected, even though they say you are.  Many people are told they are connected and then find they are still waiting two weeks later Smiley Sad  Hopefully a moderator can chime in here now and ask you for details via a PM and confirm your connection status.
Wish I could be of more help.

Jeff

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!
0 Kudos
Contributor ConfusedJen
Contributor

I’ve been using the Sagem they supplied but want to change to my own modem to see if it’s any better. Should be easy but doesn’t seem to be like everything else I’ve encountered since signing up to Optus. Really regretting this choice.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Ok, this rules out option 2 Smiley Happy

can you access the details of your Sagem modem.? On your computer enter 192.168.0.1

When this page opens you will come up with the optus/sagem home page, on the left select advanced.!

Take note of the details listed on the second box on the right, Current Status of your Wan connection,

Then on left select advanced setup and make notes of the right side again, continue on in wifi for both 2.4 and 5.0ghz

Once you have these details, you will need to find the way into the new modem/router. It should be in the instructions, you should also have the generic login name and password.  If you can do this, then find as many corresponding points of related information and enter the data accordingly.  This should also include in there somewhere your username and password as a fixed item for permanent login.
I hope this helps a bit more, Jeff

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
0 Kudos
Contributor ConfusedJen
Contributor

Thanks Jeff. I've gone into the Sagem modem and printed off as much as I could find so hopefully I'll have all the required info for the TP-Link. I'm hoping for some help from my son tomorrow if not I'll give it a go myself.

0 Kudos
Contributor ConfusedJen
Contributor

Been trying to get tis TP-Link modern going all day. It just won’t connect to the internet. I did live chat with a tech and he said I didn’t need to put in any usernames or passwords just do a factory reset and it would work??? Well it doesn’t. I checked my username was correct entered correct password (because the set up wizard asks for it) but still nothing. It says it’s PPPoE is that correct for FTTN? If anyone has any suggestions please, help!!

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hey Jen,  I'm sorry it is such a PITA..!!  I'll post this link and maybe there is something in here that might help. this is the last of 35 pages, so it might be worth looking through the start and trying options.  Just a stupid idea on my part, but you are using the same NTD port as the Sagem uses and not another one.  Only one port on your NBpoint is active, assuming you have anything similar to our FTTP setup in your house.  If not, any ou only have one port for connection, then all is well.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2401743&p=35
Anyhow look in here and see if there is any wisdom that will enlighten you. I have found a lot of support and help from people in these Whirlpool forums, Just ask your question as you have here.  I am sure someone will know more than I do, but thats not hard Smiley Wink I am already admitting defeat and giving up completely..!  Not you,... on OPTUS..!!

As for me, well I am giving up on this completely. I am happy with my service and performance right up to the word WiFi and Sagemcom. 2+ years of OPTUS not listening to the problem and tech support who just don't know, is enough. I am off to greener pastures where I will get Tier 3 speed, unlimited d/l, unlimited VOIP for all but 1800 and premium numbers, unlimited international to most countries. BUT, most importantly an Australian company that will allow me to bring my own modem / router and provide support, including the SIP codes for VOIP. All this and it is $20 a month cheaper.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Bullies
Occasional Contributor

I have the same problem, my TP Link VR2800 also fails to connect, also requires my username (Optus email) and password, but no combnation of passowrds I seem to have for Optus (account, email, old adsl2+) seems to work. Optus supllied modem works kind off, but is slow and falls over many times. Sagecom diagnostics tells me that the Test the conection to your service provider keeps on failing, Sagecom suggests I contact ISP technical support, but Optus washes its hands of this and tells me they don't know why.

Can OPTUS provide us with an easy WiKi on how to connect a BYO modem to NBN, in my case FTTN.  I do not need a phone connection.

Alternatively, how can I find the correct password I would need to connect to NBN, using my own modem?

Getting rather frustrated, so any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Bullies. PPOE is incorrect for Optus FTTN. Should be IPoE. I believe this https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2732042 will answer your question,

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Bullies
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, Newline

I will try out this suggetion ove the Christmas break.

Fingers crossed!

0 Kudos
Top Contributors