Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Contributor Bkc98
Contributor

How to get your NBN Connection Working

First some back ground.

I have been on the NBN (HFC) with Optus for the past 2+ years and to say it has been an absolute nightmare is an understatement. Unfortunately due to the area I live I didn’t have much of an option.

Issues include but not limited to:

• Slow connection speeds – I’m supposed to be on a 50MBPS plan.
    • Peak Performance 15-20MBPS (very rare)
    • Usual Performance non-peak times 8-12MBPS
    • Performance and peak. 5MBPS – 0MBPS
  • Poor installation
  • Poor support – Just blamed the NBN and was told nothing could be done until upgrades were completed but no timeframe given
  • Poor equipment
  • Constant Optus supplied router reboots required.
  • Pathetic WiFi signal from the Optus supplied hardware.
  • Pretty much the same issues as most other people on this forum.

Well after finally having enough I have done the following. While added expense I didn’t need/want it appears to have at least solved the majority of my issues.

Purchased a new WiFi router (Asus RT-AC68U) and small 5 port Gigabit Switch. Total cost  around $350.

Plugged the WAN cable from the NBN modem into the switch. Plugs cables from the switch to the WAN ports on both the Optus & Asus routers and presto you now have the internet connection you were promised.

(Note: If you don’t require your home phone line you can plug the WAN cable directly into the Asus router.)

You will need to turn off both WiFi and DHCP on the Optus router before you do the above.

I have been running this setup now for well over a week and have found the following.

• Consistent speed of between 35-40MBPS even in peak periods
  • Can get WiFi through the entire house at fantastic speeds with no dropouts.
  • Have not had a single reboot required where before it was every day or 2 at least.
  • FetchTV, Netflix etc now actually work and the picture is perfect.

While yes I would have preferred not to have had to spend the money (I would have preferred my ISP provide decent equipment) I don’t regret doing it.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone else out there.

Good luck..

P.S. Dear Optus you may want to look at providing hardware that can actually do the job required.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: How to get your NBN Connection Working

Thank you for sharing, bkc98. I'm sure our Yes Crowd members appreciate this advice.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos