Searching...
Accepted Solution

How long should I expect it will take for fixing a NBN fault at my home. And what is reasonable?

Rene18

How long should it take to fix a storm related fault to our internet? Two weeks ago a power surge from lightning took out our internet. Optus sent us a new modem but still no internet light. Optus sent a technician who diagnosed the fault as being with the nbn box. Optus booked an nbn technician to come this afternoon. I took time off work to be home for it. Got an sms at 5pm saying we don't need an nbn technician and they will call us for an update. I run a business from home and haven't been able to email invoices for two weeks. No home phone, no fetch tv, teenagers can't play online games etc Just tired after over 10 hours on hold to Optus over past two weeks. Don't know how or if our problem will be resolved. Surely others have had similar faults from storms? Can't understand why it is taking so long to fix? 

Re: How long should I expect it will take for fixing a NBN fault at my home. And what is reasonable?

18yearCableUser

Two weeks is too long!!  dump OPtus and go with another carrier - Ive had 3 x 12 hour outages this week - ( Bondi region) I need mine for work too - clocking up huge mobile data keeping the world going  - time to dump OPTUS - looks like there needs to be a class action law suit against the telcos who are holding the country to ransom!

Re: How long should I expect it will take for fixing a NBN fault at my home. And what is reasonable?

Ray_YC

Hi @Rene18, what's your fault reference number? If you still need assistance with this one we'll check to see if there is any information/update.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Rene18

Hi. Thanks for following up. Ref no: 20804068. We are now three weeks without internet. We have an Optus case manager and we last spoke to him on Tuesday 2 April, when we re-explained everything that has occurred. He seemed to accept that our issue was with the NBN box output port. He said he'd "try" to get in contact with the NBN to find out what was going on. We've heard nothing back. Can you confirm that the NBN does not do home visits to repair storm damage to an NBN box? If not, why not?  We can't be the first house in Australia to have a fault with an NBN box - in fact your Optus technician that came to our house to investigate and diagnose our matter said he had seen a similar issue with an NBN box that same week and the neighbours across the road had a similar problem from the same storm. So... where does that leave us? The neighbours managed to get the NBN out, though they are with a different provider. We have contacted the Telecommunications Ombudsman and our case has been escalated. My wife has written to our local Federal Member, Peter Dutton, asking him to look into not only our case, but all the homes with storm damage to their internet in his electorate. We hope this can be resolved soon, given the actual work to fix the NBN box would take all of 15 minutes to replace and activitate the box. And yet here we are, three weeks later with no plan in place, no ongoing communication or updates from Optus and after over 20 hours of myself and my wife being on hold to Optus trying to be pro-active to progress our matter. This is so stressful given I can't receive work orders, do quotes, or email suppliers without internet to my business computer! Look forward to your response and update, especially to my first question: what is a reasonable time to wait for a simple repair after it has been diagnosed by an Optus technician. 

Ray_YC

Do you have the name/contact details of the case manager? Their info appears to be more up to date than the fault ticket. In regards to your question I'm afraid it's not something I can really answer, customers on this forum have said our call centre currently has an IVR apologising for any long wait times due to NSW storms so there must be a lot of customers impacted. Apologies I don't have a better answer, if you have the case manager's details please PM them to me and I'll chase up.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Rene18

Sure Ray. Happy to PM you the name and number if you tell me how to PM you. I'm new to Optus Yes Crowd and can't see any messaging function. If the slow response is because a lot of people have been impacted, then it would have been nice to have been told that from day one and reassured that our problem would be fixed but there's just a lot of calls. We have not had that experience. We get told that Optus is trying to get the NBN to help but can't. This is hard to understand. Especially as the NBN are two suburbs away - 10 minutes' drive, doing roll-outs!

Our storm was in Brisbane.

Please let me know how to give you details of the case manager. It doesn't surprise me our case reference number hasn't been updated. Everytime we call, we have to re-explain it ALL. When we called Optus after your technician visited, our consultant didn't even know what the technician had reported. We had to tell Optus what he said. Surely technicians do reports and they get recorded on our case reference? Don't they? This whole process has been strange. Please investigate.

Highlighted

Ray_YC

Sure, just click on the link that has my username which will take you to my profile and you'll see a button to send a message.

Rene18

Hi Ray - my husband just found a message on his voicemail from our Optus Case Manager saying the NBN believe our fault is in the cable between our NBN Box and Modem. This is a joke. We've received a brand new cable from Optus. We've tested multiple cables. This is another pathetic stalling strategy to not send us an NBN technician and replace our NBN box. I've been on Facebook about this and am now hearing from friends similar stories of how hard it is to actually get NBN support. It is not good enough. To add insult to our case, our Case Manager says he is on annual leave and we have not been assigned a new case manager. Please Ray - look into our case so we don't have to go back on hold to Optus for another hour and a half to beg for another case manager. This is just hopeless!

Solution

Ray_YC

Hi Rene, as discussed via PM I have since contacted the manager who has arranged for you to receive a call back.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
63 Kudos
25 Kudos
23 Kudos
20 Kudos