cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: How do you log onto the Optus NBN modem?

"tried the details on the sticker, tried admin, admin, and other variations. No joy! Cannot get into the modem!!!!!!!!!!!"

using optus & the password on the sticker doesn't work

the password (from the sticker) also does not work for the wifi 

keep getting messages from optus, "activate your nbn service yak yak"

mmm

might plug my telstra modem back in

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"using optus & the password on the sticker doesn't work"
You hadn't done that before. I assume you've done a factory reset?

You will need the Optus modem plugged in to activate the Optus NBN .

See if Optus can see your modem on there end and activate you're service (they don't need the password)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

"using optus & the password on the sticker doesn't work"
You hadn't done that before. yes, i tried that before. as previously stated, the login details supplied on the sticker and magnet do not work for both the modem and the wifi

I assume you've done a factory reset? no, as i cannot get into the modem, i have not changed any settings!

You will need the Optus modem plugged in to activate the Optus NBN . it is plugged in and the optus nbn is active

See if Optus can see your modem on there end and activate you're service (they don't need the password) that suggests that I able to speak with optus, the live chat crew were unable to assist

I am only posting on this forum in the vain hope that optus might respond!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"yes, i tried that before" Not to belabour the point you'd tried the sticker details but said nothing about username 'optus' (lower case o). Is that what the sticker login says?

"It is plugged in and the optus nbn is active" - then yes you can swap in the Telstra modem and it will work (you just won't be able to use landline calls.

"no, as i cannot get into the modem" - No good having a factory reset process that requires you to login (the no one reason to factory reset a device is if the password doesn't work). All devices like this have a tiny reset hole in the back. Get a paper clip and press it in. After 10? seconds all the lights will blink and the unit will reboot and revert to default login details.

"in the vain hope that optus might respond"
Lower case 'o' 🐵 They might respond but only to direct you to the face book page for customer support usually. However with the above info you should be able to either reset the modem or put the Telstra one in. Good Luck.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

G'day Doug,

Your mention of not having a username for the optus app and receiving a sim card had me wondering if you had signed up for a mobile service too?

I can see from your responces that you are frustrated; but pretty much everything that Peter has told you is what I would have said, however I wanted to clarify that you see a welcome screen after opening the web browser and typing in http://192.168.0.1 and that it is this screen that is asking for your username and password?

As Peter stated a reset of the modem will ensure that the sticker information matches the requirements of the modem, but I noted that you stated "as I cannot get into the modem, I have not changed any settings!" ... a fair comment, but don't assume that no one else did before you, as I suspect faulty modems are sometimes refurbished, so a reset wouldn't harm (gently push a paperclip in the hole between the DC-IN and USB sockets if you have the Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 3864V3 AC model).

The Wifi Network (SSID) is shown as OPTUS_******* (about six characters) but this is not the username as I am sure you already know.

The leaflet entitled "Let's get you connected" should have been included in your package but be warned this contained a typo. It will instruct you to type in Optus as your username but only use lower case for optus and don't include the underscore and characters shown on the SSID.

The password should be copied verbatum from the label on the base of the modem or fridge magnet observing any upper or lower case letters. Incidentally check that the magnet details match the label on the modem.

Once activated there is no requirement to type in an admin account name or password? This was a security concern that I raised with Optus but they assure me their modems are secure?

The fact that you are receiving a message "activate your nbn service" would indicate that the Optus 'back end team' have done their work, so if all else fails the only thing left is to ask for a replacement modem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

i do not know what is wrong, the internet is active. my telstra account has gone (i hooked the telstra modem back up, no internet!). fetch tv doesn't work, all the paperwork states use the activation code sent to you - no code has been sent. at this rate, i will not be an optus customer for long! thanks for attempting to help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Doug,

I had the same issue with the activation code but it was when I changed from ADSL to NBN. I received a few SMS messages saying here is your activation code and there was nothing attached. The Optus team put me through to the Fetch team and we sorted it out, but that is cold comfort if you don't have internet access to start with.

When I first joined the Optus service I vaguely recall having to turn off my computers network card and use a cable to connect my computer to the modem for the login setup stage. Once I had done this all the devices would connect wirelessly. Have you tried that option?

I would be inclined to work from the top again, including a reset even though you haven't had access to change things, and when you have exhausted all the options ask for a replacement modem.

I haven't seen any intervention by a 'moderator' in this thread yet so check out moderator Aron_YC and drop him a line as he seems to have resolved a few of these issues and has about 62 'solutions master' tags attached to his profile.

Best wishes and keep us posted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @dougbooth, the default modem login username is: optus (not admin) and password is the Optus login password mentioned at the back of the modem. Wi-Fi username and password is different. 

It seems you have received the Ultra NBN modem which has a built in 4G back up option. So when your NBN is down the modem will automatically switch to the 4G back up service which runs on our mobile network. Which is why you have received the sim card. At the back of the modem there will be a sim card slot to use. 

The fetch activation code will be sent as an sms. If you have still not receive it and also need access to your online My Account then you are best to speak with our Support team either by calling them on 133937 - Mon - Fri: 8am - 8pm Sat: 9am - 5pm AEST or if you have a social media account then please send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance in this regards. Unfortunately, we don`t have access to customers account on this public forum. 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again Doug,

I have been assuming that your connection is Fibre To The Node (FTTN) as that is the connection method I have been discussing. I mention this because a Hybrid Fibre Connection (HFC) requires the user to login to newmodem.optusnet.com.au

I just wanted to give you a heads up that I noted on the 'Let's get you connected' leaflet it states:- "If you haven't installed your Optus equipment within five working days of your Optus nbn connection date, we will automatically activate your connection and begin billing you" so clearly the activation can be actioned from the other end; but whether this results in a successful connection for your modem would remain to be seen.

I am pleased to see a moderator Kartika has stepped in to assist you.

Best wishes

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I am curious as to why my last message to Doug should be headed with SPOILER and the message itself is 'in camera'?? as I was genuinely pleased to see that a moderator was now involved and my comments regarding details on the 'Let's get you connected' leaflet were salient.

0 Kudos