cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor 72pacman
Occasional Contributor

Re: How Slow can NBN Go??? Come on Optus get your act together

It's easy for Optus to fix. This is the NBN's network, Optus just resells it. There is no work going on in exchanges to reduce congestion.

All optus needs to do is BUY MORE CAPACITY FROM THE NBN!

It's called CVC, and it costs $17.50 per Mbps per user. This is what is broken about the NBN pricing model... it is not compatible with unlimited plans. ISPs will skimp on CVC, hoping that not all users will want to use all their bandwidth at the same time.

However, things like Netflix and FetchTV break those assumptions.

If they wanted to, they could reduce contention to zero buy buying 100Mbs of CVC for each user. But it would cost $1750 per user per month. so it's not going to happen.

Tags (2)
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@72pacman

Nail on the head mate.   Unfortunatly its joe customer that is paying for this poor service and as such until enough complaints to ACCC about these bad business practices are received. it will keep occuring.  Yes NBN has bad pricing model until Jun1 this year and thats when it will change it is still the RSP responsibility to provide a service under consumer law.  If they are not willing to or cant they are misleading consumers

Contributor Fordguy
Contributor

Marcel, why can't Optus contact me the customer. I have wasted so much time trying to resolve this without success. I don't want to talk about it. I like many others on this Forum want we we have been paying for. Please resolve or I will contact TIO.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey @Fordguy, could you please send me a PM with your full name, account info and date of birth so I can take a look?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Contributor RONALD106
Contributor

Since Optus NBN customers started complaining about LOW speeds due to Optus infrastructure being over crowded.

1. Continually signing up new customers knowing their system cannot handle customers they already have.
  2. Charging customers for internet speeds they are not receiving
  3. Fetch TV service that Optus customers pay for is also being impacted by slow speeds the worse being movies taking 3 to 8 hours to download. Also the Youtube application is badly impacted making it unwatchable when speeds are low.
  4. Having their phone staff lie to complaining customers.
  5. Moderators in Yes Crowd can’t do anything and Yes Crowd is a poor substitute for an Australian support department, But they do have Australians to take your money you are paying for what you don’t receive and other sector than communications and Banking the ACCC would come down on them and extract large fines for the Government Coffers  as if the Government  had not inserted old copper wire into the NBN we would be getting 500+Mbps

The problem is getting worse it was mainly weekends now spreading to week days  all this week  my internet has been slow  these are speed checks from today.

41.9Mbps    08-03 11.15am

29.7Mbps    08-03 11.45am

16.55Mbps 08-03   5.05pm

52.14 Mbps 09-03 11.20am

Moderator Aman_B

Hey @RONALD106, I've replied to you other post.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor Fordguy
Contributor

How can you look into when upgrades are available when no one else can. Standard response is no time line available for system upgrade and engineers working on it. Appears to be a lot of lip service going on whilst Optus are just selling a product that doesn't deliver. 

RetiredModerator PhilC
RetiredModerator

Hi @Fordguy I'm really sorry that you're unhappy with the answers you've received in regards to your NBN connection. Unfortunately we're unable to provide the information you've requested at this point in time. As Amandeep has advised given the circumstances with your connection you may wish to speak with our retention team on 1300555241 in regards to your options moving forward. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Contributor RONALD106
Contributor

Fordguy    you have hit the nail on the head    -  lipservices  no real support.    you have to phone then connected to a foreign call centre where some one reads you a load of rubbish from a script often in hard to understand english and can not give you real answers and you are just another call  and another person with the same problem.     Then Optus  are not only NOT providing  you with what you are paying  for  (they still charge you the full amount each month  they don't have the honesty to contact you and  say we will reduce this months bill to the percentage we are supplying .)  But instead with this problem they have just been  making it worse by every day signing up new NBN customer and increasing the overcrowding of their  overcrowded infrastructure  and selling a lot of them 1000Mbps  which they know they can not provided most of the time.    On 2 occasions  I had to wait on phone for 3hours + to speak to some one in India.   have you noticed they don't have email addresses  for customer to email them about their problems , So you can lay out all the facts so they can contact you when they can do something .

Contributor RONALD106
Contributor

I AM SORRY I SWITCHED TO NBN A BIG MISTAKE

PAYING FOR 100MBPS BUT IN BUSY TIMES IT DROPS TO AS LOW AS 7MBPS

In a post by 72 Pacman  he says the NBN pricing structure is $17.50 per Mbps  per user   and going on this we all have been sold a Lemon.

Without  the ISP’s  trying to manipulate they system  none of us would have switched  to the NBN   as we all new Turnbull had turned it into a 3rd World Internet system Turnbull and Abbott said Australians do not need high speed Internet  so Instead was dropped to a slow 100Mbps maximum

Most of us are experiencing 10Mbps and under at weekends the NBN price tag for 10Mbps is $175.00 per month or 50Mbps @ $875per month   and  100Mbps at $1750 per month  and what about universities  their Internet is running at 600Mbps and if it were NBN   that is $10,500 per user per Month. 

Seeing those prices I would have never switched to NBN as it is obvious that Optus unless magicians can give me 100Mbps for what I am paying would have sounded Alarm bells.

But we did not know what NBN charges where and  if Optus had been asking much more than what they are selling their NBN packages for we all would have stayed on ADSL. Will have to see if I can go back on my previous contract and service.

TELEPHONE remember a problem with wire Free home telephones most of us had switched to there is a major problem with them when the power goes off you have no telephone service.   I up graded my wire Free telephone system to one that still works when the power goes off it has battery backup, But that was a waste of money  as with the NBN when the power goes down in your area and Turnbull’s Node loses the power to it your telephone service is down.

There should be a Commission into the NBN (not a Royal Commission as there has never been an honest one of them) one that does not have its hands tied behind its back by Politicians and it can fully investigate everyone involved including politicians (Turnbull  & Abbott) 

The shoddy financing of the NBN as if Rudd had established the Australian National Bank of Public Credit that was hamstrung by Menzies and destroyed by Keating & Howard. The NBN could have been completed while Rudd was still PM all Fibre Optic and at a fraction of the price.