cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Jauron86
Occasional Contributor

Re: How Slow can NBN Go??? Come on Optus get your act together

And also I forgot to mentioned, when i was searching about other peoples experience, I already guessed what their experience will be like which is the optus operator will tell everyone the same thing, either congestion or system update without ETA. It seems that they are reading from a script, a script to handle this type of complains.

Occasional Contributor Arames
Occasional Contributor

Hey guys,

I have the same issue. I just wondering if we could send a collective complaint about it? As I've just get connected to this wonderful NBN from Optus and discovered this mysterious congestion that they like to talk about. So I paid 200$ connection fee and as I just moved to a new place and had no time to go deep with the Internet service last month, I paid a bill for the last month and now i'm facing the same problem as everyone here. The funny thing that to resolve this issue they offered me to get the speed pack 3 to test if it will help by paying 10$ extra and if it's not going to work I have an opportunity to leave them without paying a cancellation fee. Is it a joke? They want me to stay another month and pay 10$ extra to TEST their NOT PROPERLY WORKING SERVICE? Another reply the next day from the live chat was: "upgrading the speed pack usually doesnt work since its the network that's congested..". So how would you call it?

Firstly they were silent about the congestion in the area during the peak period that they were aware of.

Secondly they want me to pay more and stay just another month even with the knowledge that upgrading speed pack is not going to work.

Thirdly they hinted me that: "Congestion can be fixed however, it will take long and we do not have any estimated date of when it will be fixed.." that just means "get lost and don't ask any questions".

Fourthly they told me that: "you can opt out of the contract without cancellation fee".

So let just summirise that: OPTUS advertising a service that is not provided, collecting connection fees from customers, also first or depends how patient a customer is - bill, and after the question about NBN speed araised saying that if you don't like it you can cancel your service. What sort of business is that?  

What is the way that all unsatisfied customers that expirience the same problem (SLOW NBN DURING PEAK HOURS) can be compencated for they troubles? Especially when you loosing money for subscribtion on the INTERNET that you not able to USE due to NBN problem. So you have no TV, INTERNET, LINE PHONE, losing money on subscriptions, cannot perform remote work, etc. Take it or leave it solution from OPTUS is a disrespectful and disgrace that is not appropriate in any way. Who is going to repay for all of this? 

Let's imagine I have a restaurant with an entry fee that included some food, you are paying this entry fee and got rotten tomatoes as "included food" of course you not going to eat it, you might even dare to order some dish from the menu if you skipped those "included food" but the dish will be the same, will you complaint? Of coursre, but what if management will ask you to buy another dish to check if it still not good or a bit better? And after that they will simply say:" If you don't like it you free to go without any penalty that you didn't eat our food". How long this restaurant will function? So why OPTUS is still connects new customers to NBN in this case? Is there something wrong with the regulation and the standards ("The ACCC has provided guidance to service providers to ensure that their advertised broadband speeds represent those actually achievable by consumers, and not just theoretical maximums.")? Is anyone seeing some sort of scam and misleading and deceptive conduct here?

Occasional Contributor OldTech
Occasional Contributor

Yes fully agree, I've just checked with the next biggest provider and asked the direct question about congestion at my exchange. After checking with the technical department they were unable to advise further, the only way to tell if you going to have congestion is to have a service they can test. What a load of rubbish, they must know what capacity they have at each exchange and how much traffic it deals with at peak times.

I really don't see much difference between our ISPs in Australia and VW both advertising and selling products which don't meet advertised specifications, only difference is that VW was forced to correct their falsehoods our ISP are getting away with it.

Occasional Contributor Tortoise
Occasional Contributor

Yes I rang Telstra to see if they could guarantee better service when congested and they said they couldnt unless we signed up and then they could test.  It seems ridiculous. Surely they must all have some idea of how many premises their service can handle at a set time in a set geography. They must be banking on everyone not noticing, or not using simultaneously, or being somewhat like me - a now disgruntled but sticking around customer cause there doesnt seem anything better.. It doesnt seem to be an issue for all users  so it must be something to do with geography and infrastructure. Optus did offer when I rang their retention team some small financial rebate but I would really rather just have my speed as per the plan I signed up to.

Occasional Contributor Jauron86
Occasional Contributor

Hmm....I thought there would be an optus moderator here, but apparently it looks like all of them are hiding as there are no real solution to this but still charging the users "ghost" services.

Occasional Contributor Tortoise
Occasional Contributor

Well after waiting 7 hours to download a movie today for the kids and it still hasnt come through due to abysmal speeds all day we are going to swap to Telstra and see if it is any better.  Maybe they are allocated more of the bandwidth in our street or something and we will get lucky. I should have no legal issue with breaking the contract.  I will also be sending a formal complaint to the optus complaints department, the ombudsman and the ACCC. 

Occasional Contributor Neildall
Occasional Contributor

Well I can tell you, you ar not alone with this absolute bs service. I too have had the run around, reset your modem, hard reset, its congestion service. I was even told that because my internet will give me 80 down and 40 up at 4am there is no problem........yeh like i surf the internet rushing out the door to work in the early hours. I have had a reply on here, with words to the effect, its congestion, no resolution date, you can get out of your contract if you want. Escalated to the TIO, Optus has until the 14th to contact me with a resolution.......no holding my breath there...they just couldn't care less. Pity, the package price is good, the service is terrible.

These are my tests on a Saturday night.

Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 8.02.00 pm.png

Second Attempt

Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 8.05.58 pm.png

Thanks Optus.....Top service there, there goes streaming a movie on my Fetch TV service. Glad I'm paying for a box to sit idle.

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I have 100/40 nbn and its about 5 down 15 up during peak periods.   i joined Nuskope on my second port of my NBN and did speed tests on both at the same time ..   Nuskope was 90ish/30ish whilst optus was 5/15 .. its optus they wont increase their CVC's   contact TIO .. try and even get your connection fees back .. they are selling you a lie

Moderator Aman_B

Hi @OldTech. we have replied to your other post. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Moderator Aman_B

Hey @Neildall, it's a shame to hear you've gone to the TIO about this, once we've received the details from the TIO a Case Manger will be in touch with-in 10 business days. Please keep us posted.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos