Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
aungoo
New Contributor
New Contributor

Host a home server and establish remote connections with OPTUS NBN

I bought a #QNAP NAS to host personal websites and run cloud services from home. Unfortunately, hosting and remote connections become a problem with 5G home broadband

I planned to use Dynamic Domain Name Service for the dynamic IP address as I didn't have a static IP address for my Internet connection. I've realised later that Nokia 5G Modem and the 5G network block all incoming connections.

For this reason, I'm considering switching to an NBN business plan with a static IP.

Will the NBN plan work for remote connections, and can I open service ports to host my websites using a server at home?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jono_YC

Re: Host a home server and establish remote connections with OPTUS NBN

Hi @aungoo thanks for reaching out. 

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. Our team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

We're also available to assist via Social Media. Please send us a private message to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Jono_YC 

Why can you answer the questions here? They all generic in nature and do not need any account info to resolve. 

aungoo
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have already contacted Optus via chat and phone call. No one can answer this simple question. For that reason, I'm here to ask the community.

0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@aungooAs you have found, optus do not know how to support customers on 5G (or 4G as well) for what you are trying to do. Optus also are wanting to hide their support responses lately as they are requesting people to contact them via farcebook or twotter, which is NOT very good.

The reason is that on 4G and 5G you are on a CGNAT and as such you do not have a public IP address. Therefore you cannot remote into your setup.

The way around this is to ask Optus if they have a business 5G plan and does it come with a a public IP address? If they do then this will be one option.

The other Option is to look at NGROK and use it or one of the other similar programs. I use the free NGROK to run a FTP server when I need to (it only runs when I need to transfer programs). It is my understanding that the free version will not work for what you want, but you can play with it to get a feel for how NGROK works.

Good luck.

Top Contributors