Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
sinjin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Home superfast / ultrafast Optus offerings or early adopter options

Hi all,

I was one of your first customers to take up 100Mbps cable when you ran the initial trial in Brisbane (many years ago) and then became a standard product offering.

I am keen, subject to price, to take up the 250Mbps offering that is in this month IT press articles, I believe this is called Home superfast as named by the NBN co.

I have now switched from Optus Cable to Optus NBN cable, ie I am on the HFC network.

Where can I receive guidance on how to progress this?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Home superfast / ultrafast Optus offerings or early adopter options

They are exciting for those with a need for high speed downloads (and no uploads).

You're on HFC so check the Aussie Broadband and Launtel websites which will tell you if your address qualifies.

Apparently Telstra won't be announcing anything related to these until August and perhaps Optus are also happy to wait and see.
0 Kudos
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Checked out my address the other day and Aussie Broadband checking tool said I can get the 250/50 speed. @Dan_C @Ray_YC, will Optus be offering something soon?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I'd pay good money for a 250/50 plan.

Unfortunately NBN co didn't go with anything so sensible or desirable or affordable. They've opted for 250/25 which means I'll be sticking a with the 100/40 for now.
0 Kudos
SillyGogo
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@petergdownload , you are right, the speed offered is 250/25 not 250/50. I guess that is the limitation of HFC in my area. Wish they go with fibre all the way, then 250/50 would be easily achievable. Oh well, I too will be sticking with 100/40 for now. Happy to test it out for Optus.

On another note, received the "Honesty Box" the other day. I wonder what data it is collecting, would love to see the raw figures.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Apparently HFC upload speeds are relatively limited. The NBN co seems to be discouraging any move to improve it. It's also little better if you are the 1 in 5 with fttp. Sure it can do 1000/1000 with ease but NBN are still only going 250/25 or 1000/50. I guess they don't want to confuse us.

Is go the 1000/50 plan but at $150 the practical difference it would make for me doesn't warrant the almost double in price from 100/40.

Well done on getting the HB 😀
sinjin
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@petergdownload and others "Apparently HFC upload speeds are relatively limited"

I don't think this is the case of 'HFC'; the 2013 edition of DOCSIS (ie v 3.1 ) includes upload speeds of 1-2 Gbps, in fact the upload speed is one of the biggest differences the 2006 and 2013 edition. 

[in my option] NBN have overpriced the 250/50 service, but rather than lower it they are introducing something new to the market, that can market as better price model.  I too use the service to backup my PC's so am seeking good upload speed.

ALSO

We are moving a bit off topic, the original query, seeking input hopefully from Optus marketing / pre-sales or similar.  Which was is Optus offering either a trial of the 250Mbps service or offering it to to purchase?  (yes subject to the usual NBN limitations for the household, area etc.)

Optus are you offering any options for either 'superfast' or 'ultrafast'?

or - did any member get on a trial with Optus?

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

There's numbers and then there are numbers. In 2013 no one new what a hfc network could do. Purely on an observational level NBN co is back tracking upload speeds as fast as it can.

1) almost no RSP provided upload figures. Only download are qualified
2) NBN co is encouraging most 100/40 providers and users to go 100/20.
3) the latest high speed offering of the NBN actually cuts upload by over 30%
4) To basically tread water on upload speeds you have to go 1000mbps plans (expensive)

So something is definitely going on with upload for NBN.

As for the topic, Optus seem to have largely vacated the forum building. This isn't a covid issue, just that optus won't provide an answer to the question.
0 Kudos
Xcelplus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If I can get 1000/50 download speeds for $150/month I would opt in.

I can't find any pricing for the 1000/50 option... or even the 250/50 option. Can someone confirm the pricing?

The only info I can find on the superfast & Ultrafast options tops out at ~250/50:

https://www.optus.com.au/broadband-nbn/nbn/speed-packs

Optus only offered us the 250/50 option last time we asked. Is the 1000/50 option available?

🙂 

0 Kudos
Jono_YC

Hi @Xcelplus thanks for reaching out. If you'd like to obtain the best deals regarding your NBN plan, we recommend speaking to our Sales team directly. They're available through our messaging team.

Alternatively, you'll be able to reach out to them over the phone on 1800 780 219. Jono

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

Top Contributors