Searching...

Home phone doesn't work after switch to NBN, but Optus have sent us a bill!

MotherGoose

We've spent maybe 20 hours on Chat and on our mobiles trying to get our home phone activated over past past few weeks after the switch to NBN.

They always say it will work in 24-48 hours, or that they will get back to us in 24-48 hours with a complaint number. They never do.

Today we got a bill for the period. Surely Optus can't charge us for a service that doesn't work?

I can't even try a Chat as 'Chat volumes are higher than usual'.

We can't see any alternative but to switch providers, its been weeks and we have relatives overseas trying to contact us.

Very stressed and nto sure what to do, is going to the Ombudsman worthwhile?

I assume we will wreck our credit rating if we don't pay this bill Smiley Sad

Highlighted

Re: Home phone doesn't work after switch to NBN, but Optus have sent us a bill!

Jeneral__Pain

Are you plugging your home phone into the "PHONE1" socket on your Sagem modem?

Or are you using your own router/modem?

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

MotherGoose

Yes. The Optus activation team say that there are tasks that they haven't completed. It's just they keep saying 24-48 hours, but never deliver. 

Thanks for trying to help!

petergdownload

The phone is only a portion of the monthly contract. You would be paying $10-$20 extra for home phone capability. You should be able to contact Optus and request a credit to your account for that amount for any months without a phone. I would pay the bill still yes, although if you wish to dispute the amounts Optus can't report non payments to Credit agencies while a dispute is being processed (They'll likely charge you a $15 late fee though and as you've found get things sorted is a long a tedious process at the moment (something I suspect Optus are not too unhappy about on many occassions when people just give up)

The ombudsman is probably not the go yet (they'll also take weeks/months). I would suggest you write to Optus with the complaint (requesting someone sort the phone and also a refund on the monthly phone charges). Its more official than other forms and you will get a response in 2 weeks and an official complaint number which you can forward to the ombusman if the time comes.

Customer Relations Group
PO Box 306
SALISBURY SOUTH
SA 5106

Peter Gillespie

MotherGoose

Thanks Peter, I will try writing to them. I have already lodged 2 complaints through their online complaints form but Optus are yet to respond to either of them (despite their policy that says they try and aknowledge complaints within 2 business days).

[ Edited ]
Mark-1

we've been going through the same thing - 8 weeks this coming Tuesday - an "activation" issue at their end - also received a phone bill - I rang and eventually was able to get the bill waived - if you've got fault reference numbers tell whoever you speak with and they will check and hopefully waive your bill as well.  Hoping I finally see the green light and phone works this week - not holding my breath though although I've at least reached the stage of receiving call backs from Optus in Melbourne (to mobile Smiley Happy )!  Good luck.  Mark

MotherGoose

Thanks Mark, hope your phone gets connected soon , have had nothing from Optus other than they will fix it in the next 48hrs this is despite many chats, calls and two complaints (which they havent acknowledged yet) but the Telecommunications Industry Odbusman has interviened and asked Optus to get back to us by 23 April, still hoping.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos