Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Freakystuff
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

High Latency

Recently I have been getting varying internet speeds after switching to NBN from optus cable as it was discontinued. Latency is the main issue. Tracert reports to optus.com.au are displaying high times when they should be reasonably low. I am from the Padstow area.

traceroute to 23.32.52.190 (23.32.52.190), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
1 n220-236-128-1.sbr3.nsw.optusnet.com.au (220.236.128.1) 331.998 ms 334.157 ms 338.884 ms
2 * * *
3 * * *
4 * * *
5 * 52gdgp02-hu0-6-0.gp.optusnet.com.au (210.49.114.90) 335.405 ms 339.968 ms
6 * 198.142.144.62 (198.142.144.62) 353.100 ms 362.178 ms
7 * * *
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *

Speedtests also reveal that my download speeds are fine but Ping is 300-400 and Upload speeds are <1Mbps. I have tested all connections inside and have found 0 issues with my home network. 

22 Replies
Rob_YC

Re: High Latency

Hey @Freakystuff, sorry to hear about the trouble you're having there with the latency and upload speed. 

I wasn't able to see anything reported in the Padstow area via our Network Status Page at the moment. However our Technical Support teams can absolutely run some further tests to see what they can identify with that service. 

Please note that we’re unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd. I recommend raising this with us via our Messenger team through the My Optus App  so our Technical Support team can check that out further. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@FreakystuffFYI. Ping results on Optus 4g in Sydney are allot less than your ping times. This to me indicates that I am in agreement that you have some sort of latency issue as I would have expected the 4G ping times to be higher than anything on NBN (* assuming that NBN connection is working correctly and is not fixed wireless or satellite).

Pinging 23.32.52.190 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=75ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=54 
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=54 
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=54 
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=26ms TTL=54
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=54 
Reply from 23.32.52.190: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for 23.32.52.190: 
Packets: Sent = 26, Received = 26, Lost = 0 (0% loss), 
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: 
Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 75ms, Average = 33ms

0 Kudos
RedVortex
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting exactly the same result at times. I am on Optus NBN, FTTC technology. Not far from Padstow.

Around  6 weeks ago for 4 days (solid), ping latency went from 5 ms to 300 ms. Upload speed dropped from 20 Mbits/second to less than 1 Mbits per second. Same issue with neighbours. At the same time download was sort-of passable, varying from 5 Mbits/s to 40 Mbit/s.

After frustrating back and forth with "experts" from Optus I was told I have "local to my house" bridge tap issue. Despite knowing 100% that this is not true, I was forced to accept a site visit, prepared to take a day off work, only for the issue magically resolve itself at midnight. I cancelled the site visit and didn't even get an acknowledgement that this could have NOT been a house wiring issue, nor any official explanation of what was going on, or assurances that this will not happen again.

Exactly the same occurred just a few days ago, and lasted around 24 hours, from 18:30 on 31/03/2021 and 19:00 on 01/04/2021.

I know this precisely because I run automatic speed test every hour, and have all results logged from 2019 onwards, even before I switched to NBN.

Outside these 5 days, NBN has been impeccable. (Optus cable before that was impeccable for 10 years solid) 

As per traceroute, it looks to me this could be a misconfigured or overloaded server on Optus network. I struggle to see how NBN issue (being mainly an access network) can affect ICMP packets to slow ping latency so much.

Every time I have no reliable Internet it costs me and other members of household who work from home literally hundreds of dollars. But Optus is only ready to pay pro-rata fee (like $8 per day).

The Internet is a wonderful thing for ISPs, you can always blame NBN, wifi, unknown issues, aliens, and so on. Or just tell the customer to reset the router multiple times and the issue (and the frustrated customer) will go away.

My solution is simple. Next time this happens, I will have a SamKnows whitebox device in my house, so all this will be logged officially and sent to ACCC and tabulated against ISP performance. I am sure this will get someone moving. I see no other way to deal with this.

0 Kudos
Casey_YC

Hi there @RedVortex

We were advised of an NBN outage in the Sydney area last night and it was resulting in high ping and speed issues. 

The latest update today was that it has been resolved. 

As mentioned in replies in the other thread, we are unable to look at your service specifically via Yes Crowd. For this reason, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

RedVortex
Contributor
Contributor

That's very interesting Casey, thank you for your answer. However, the story continues.

Maybe unrelated to that, a few days ago I received a text from OptusNBN about works to  be conducted from 12.00 am to 6.00 am on the 8th April.

I also received a text when works have been (allegedly successfully) completed.

I thought - great - this resembles normal service! But wait, as usual there is more to OptusNBN.

If you recall, I run automatically, every hour, the same test as the one that powers Ookla and SamKnows whiteboxes.

Upload and ping latency started to drop again at 7.30pm on the 7th of April, well before the maintenance window in the text. No dramas there I guess, maybe they started works earlier.

During the maintenance window, there appeared no major difference to already bad connection
Then Internet worked as advertised from around 7 am till 9 am on the 8th of April after which everything went back to slow upload and ping. And the issue is still there. Download is ok (as advertised 50 MBits/s), Upload 10 times slower than advertised (2 mbits/s), ping 25 times slower than normal.

As I said, most people probably will not even notice slow uploads - only some work patterns require decent upload speeds. This is how I think you are so far getting away with it if indeed this is a wider issue for many users. But I would be keen to see the next ACCC monitoring broadband report.

Back to my story. Last night, after lodging an official fault report, Optus technician measured my speed and got exactly the same result (Upload 2 Mbits/s). So I am not imagining things. However he also tested NBN layer and said that the NBN test passed.

I would re-iterate that the issue is most likely in your network, but it is hard to tell, because there seem to be at least 3 parties that don't seem to communicate at all, your support personnel, your network guys and the NBN. In fact I can't even tell if your support staff are even aware of all issues (I would say, probably not) that your more technical staff is aware of.

Anyhow, let's see how this develops.

Tuong_YC

I'm sorry for any hassles @RedVortex, this is certainly not the experience we want you to be having. Given that this is a public platform we are unable to discuss your account via this channel. However in saying that though, we would be more than happy to take a closer look and assist in the best possible way.

If you could please send your details via the Optus App, we will be able to provide an update as well as walk you through this process. Cheers for that 

0 Kudos
RedVortex
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Tuong

I think I made it abundantly clear I am not discussing my account. I have already logged a fault for my personal account and this will take its course. So it doesn't really help to get the standard PR response every time.

I am postulating that it is a wider issue, and asking others (specifically around Hurstville / Padstow) if they can check their speeds and report here. Isn't this one of legit purposes of this forum?

What Optus employees could do is to get onto technical people in Optus network and NBN and check what is going on in the area. As I said they tried to fix an issue yesterday and probably failed. They may not even know that.

I suspect this affects NBN Optus FTTC (Fiber to the curb) customers only.

0 Kudos
Freakystuff
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I would to just update further as well that there is still an issue and have lately been more given periods of ping tests of 300+ and upload tests of <2mbps with packet loss rates of around 30-40% rather than periods of perfect connections with the advertised speeds and connection. I also received the notification of work completion as @RedVortex and have noticed zero difference to be honest.

I contacted Optus earlier and was simply told that they're currently working on an outage for the area but this is not reflected on the outage map of Optus. This connection makes doing tasks such as video meetings and uploading documents a pain as they take longer and often calls/meetings will disconnect.
Jack_YC

Hi @Freakstuff, it's not good to see you're still experiencing this issue with your connection. We can take a closer look at this for you from our end, we would just need you to send us a message via our Facebook or Twitter pages. We would then be able to check your connection from there.