cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Help needed re: NBN HFC and connecting Fax and landline handsets (1 number)

Hello,

Asking question on beahlf of my folks who are non tech savvy and very nervous about the nbn switch.  Currently they have 3 active telephone ports (sharing just one landline number): one downstairs in kitchen and two upstairs, one in bedroom and other in home office. Their optus cable internet is connected in the home office. They also have foxtel downstairs in living room.

NBN is available in their area and will be provided by HFC (foxtel cable). From our understanding this means that the nbn box will be installed in the lounge room as that is where the current foxtel port is. A splitter will be required so they can keep Foxtel my Dad has to have his NRL which isnt available on Fetch and connect a wireless modem which Optus would supply, provided he recontracts for 2 years.

I understand 1 * landline handset can be connected to the modem (or is it nbn box), and i suppose they can cope with downstairs phone being in the lounge and not kitchen.

However the challenge is, my dad needs a landline connected handset and for his fax machine (multifunction printer) to continue to work in the upstairs office.  He *must* be able to continue to send and receive faxes (ive already lost but you can scan and email battle) because he runs a lawn bowls club and all the oldies (mostly aged 75-99 send their results in via fax, and arent willing to learn what the internet or email is).

Dad is also the only one who uses the internet in the house, so it would actually be better to have wifi modem upstairs (where his cable modem currently is) to ensure computer can get a good signal. My underdstanding is the copper network in the house will be disconnected when nbn is activated, orphaning the computer and fax.

So what are the options that will allow for 2 landline handsets tobe connected (one upstair and one downstairs) and ablity to connect a traditional fax machine with to nbn hfc connection?  

Can a technician do something to connect the copper in the house to the nbn box or modem, so all 3 phone jacks work in a lcoal loop and he can still send/receive faxes from upstairs?

Or can they run an extension cable from the foxtel port in the downstairs lounge so the modem can be installed upstairs next to where the fax is situated, and therefore connect fax directly to the modem? And if this is the solution how do we also get a landline phone downstairs.

I need to be able to give clear instructions to my folks so its a smooth transition, I have no such issues at my own house cause i dont need a phoneline or fax just internet.

What can be done and what do they need to specify when ordering? It seems to me like NBN solutions assume everyone only needs one landline handset and no fax, but there are still heaps of oldies out there who want ability to fax.

Thanks,

Lynda

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: NBN HFC - Multiple Landline ports and Fax needed

Same issues here. I haven't found a clear and some solution as yet. We have a faxstream duet, multiple number attached to the copper line. The issues is porting out the complex numbers from the main line. Not many people offer more than 1 number per nbn account. Also, fax over IPhone with limited support and compatibility.  I am testing out a few options at the moment and see any of them  works. Over came the first hurdle of receiving calls from a non optus voip number on the optus nbn.

Maybe a Moderators can share their thoughts on this. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes im hoping an Optus employee can reply with a definitive answer.

Just to clarify, my folks dont need multiple numbers, just their one existing home number, its just they want the ablity to answer this line from a handset downstairs and a second handset upstairs, and they want to be able to connect a fax in an upstairs office which is a different location to where their foxtel lead in is in the lounge room. 

If cant get assurance from Optus, i will be forced to look for a new ISP for them who can resolve this issue.

Shame also that to get broadband speed 25/5 with home line, you have to take a fetch bundle, but my folks only have 1 tv and it already has foxtel connected so they would have no where to connect or use fetch. But the $60 bundle cant have its speed updated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Will your father needing to receive fax on that number or just sending?

If just sending then you need to check with optus the voip provided supports fax over IP. I have setted up a fax machine to testing the optus voip. Just need to tee up a time with the other side to do the tests. Does anyone know any fax back or fax test numbers?

In terms of wiring, maybe get the technician to wire the phone line output from the modem to the existing copper line prior to the splitter. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

He needs to be able to send and receive faxes.

Ideally folks want at least 2 handsets, they are too old to constantly go up and downstairs to answer the phone if the nbn solution only supports 1 handset connected.

My Mum has hearing issues so wont use a mobile phone, she had to have a landline.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: Help needed re: NBN HFC and connecting Fax and landline handsets (1 number)

Current system. Optus Cable internet to the Office, 3 phone wall ports from 1 line (main phone number and faxstream duet), 1 computer in the office, 1 fax machine in the office, 1 foxtel in the lounge. Is the Foxtel and landline with Telstra? 

NBN via HFC (foxtel/telstra HFC network)

Issues: 

NBN(internet). A NBN tech/contractor will come out to install/check  the HFC line into your house and install the NBN modem (aries). Depends who come out, they might or might not pull a new cable for you to have the NBN modem in the office, because you already have an active foxtel HFC in the lounge. Since your existing cable internet is in the office, I would push to have the NBN modem to be in the office, and make sure you have it in writing when you signing up for NBN. If it is installed in the office, then the computer can connect there directly. 

Telephone: If you managed to get the NBN modem installed in the office then the Optus Sagem modem will be in the office too, connecting the computer. I would suggest you purchase a Uniden or a good brand of DECT cordless phone with multiple handset (3), something like this https://uniden.com.au/AUSTRALIA/p_xdect8355_2_index.asp .  The main base will be connected to the Sagem modem and you can put the other 2 handset where every you like. 

Fax: This can be the main problem, the NBN landline is a Voice Over IP (digital line)  and it doesn't play well with faxes. There are also issue with Optus supporting the correct protocol for fax mainly t.38 and fax machine compartibility with NBN. If you have a single line, then you might have to set the fax to FAX/TEL mode, ie will turn into a fax after X number rings (I haven't tested this, not sure if the VOIP behaves like the analogue line). Sending fax can also have an handshake issues. Another option is to get an ATA device to convert the digital signal into an analogue, something like this https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/unified-communications/spa112-2-port-phone-adapter/index.html ( i am in the process of testing this method). However, if you are with OPTUS then you might have a problem, because OPTUS wont give you the VOIP login details for your landline for you to put into the ATA and not able to use it. So I am testing my ATA with another VOIP provider to see if it works. In terms of porting the exisiting faxstream duet number to NBN, some company will  do it and some wont, best to get that clarify right from the start. 

Foxtel : no change 

Provider: Like you said to get the 25/5 speed you have to be on the $80 plan with Fetch. Although there is only 1 TV, you can connect both Foxtel and Fetch to the TV. Both Foxtel IQ and Fetch will allow you to record the programs and watch it later. Since you don't want FetchTV, have you consider having the internet/foxtel/landline with just 1 company? Prehaps another company with better speed offering. Just a thought.

Other:

I get mix responses, depending who I spoked to about more than 1 phone line on a NBN account. Most company says you can only have 1 line. However, after going around the call centers and online chat, some companies say I can have more than one line but will cost. EG Telstra quoted me $250 /line fee to move my existing number to NBN, for that fee, Telstra will send out a tech with all the equipments for me to have the second line and able to send/receive faxes like normal. Optus said they can support 2 lines per modem and if i want more then just plug in more Modems. All will charge me a $30 /month fee to have the line. 

So overall, there are alot of IF and all the planets need to line up exactly, my advicse  would get someone to look after the migration, have them to put all the offer and details in writting. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Are you connected to NBN with Optus via HFC at your home? If yes, then bring your dad's fax machine to your home and test it there. IF not then see if your dad has a neighbour that already migrated to NBN optus for him to bring the fax machine over to test. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Update. Fax test on Optus NBN HFC.

Equipments:

Optus NBN HFC

Modem: Sagem 3864AC

Line: Line1 from Sagem modem (Optus VOIP)

Line2: Siptalk VOIP

Fax: Canon JX500

Ata1: Linsys pap2T

Ata2: Cisco SPA8000

Destination: 

Telstra Copper Line FaxStream Duet

Fax: Brother MFC.

Stage 1: Standard settings

Send and Receive via: Fax ->Sagem 3864 (optus line) -> HFC -> Destination: PASSED

So for me, no special setting required. Just plug and play using the Optus modem and Optus line. 

Back to OP: My recommendation is:

1. NBN Tech to install the HFC outlet upstair at the OFFICE. 

2. Connect the Optus modem upstair for internet at Fax.

3. Set the Fax machine to Tel/Fax. So it will be in telephone mode and receive the fax after certain number of rings , eg 10 rings(Fax machine dependant)

4. By a cordless phone with multiple handsets (at least 3)

5. Connect the base of the cordless phone to the fax machine's line output. 

6. Place another handset downstair and one maybe in the bedroom for convience.

Fax: Send as normal. Receive: if at home, pickup phone, if phone then talk if fax tone then press START to receive. If not home, fax will auto receive after XXX amount of rings. People calling the house might get a fax tone if they ring and phone is not pickup after XXX amount of rings. 

Internet: As per normal in the office and Wifi around the house. 

Stage 2 External VOIP Test . Standard settings

Send/Received Fax ->PAP2T (Siptalk VOIP) -> 3864AC -> HFC ->Destination : FAILED

Send/Received  Fax ->SPA8000(Siptalk VOIP) -> 3864AC -> HFC ->Destination : FAILED

Stage 3 External VOIP - Configuration as per guide below:

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=39704A92F8698136!934&ithint=file%2cdocx&app=Word&authkey=!...

Send/Received  Fax ->PAP2T (Siptalk VOIP) -> 3864AC -> HFC ->Destination : FAILED

Send/Received  Fax ->SPA8000(Siptalk VOIP) -> 3864AC -> HFC ->Destination : PASSED

Stage 4: Back to base alarm

Bosch alarm ->Optus Voip ->3864AC ->HFC -> Destination : PASSED

Bosch alarm ->Pap2T (Siptalk Voip) ->3864AC ->HFC -> Destination : PASSED

Bosch alarm ->Spa8000(Siptalk Voip) ->3864AC ->HFC -> Destination : PASSED

Thats all for today, let me know if you would like me to do any extra tests. Will give it a go if i have the equipment and time 😄 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus NBN FTTN Dial Plan?

Would anyone have the dial plan for Optus, Queensland, NBN FTTN?  I am trying to configure a Cisco SPA112 analogue telephone adapter for a third party router so I can send / receive faxes.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: Optus NBN FTTN Dial Plan?

the FAX works from the OPTUS standard VOIP line, why do you need the SPA112? 

Use BYO Modem, connect the lan port to the sagem Wan port and use the Phone1 as it is.

Have you got the OPTUS SIP login or are you using SIP account from another provider? 

Give this a try 

(*xx.|#xx.|<0:061>[23478]xxxxxxxxS0|<:**6>1800xxxxxx|<:0612>13xx.|xx.)

0 Kudos
Top Contributors