cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Help Please! - BYO MODEM for nbn FTTP - (Voice not needed)

Hi all,

Happy New Year! 🙂

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Optus nbn Entertainment package has been set up and is running as I can connect my laptop directly via Ethernet into the nbn NTD (Fibre to the Prem. connection) which has been installed on the inside of my house. Sweet!  Looking forward to getting Fetch up and running 😉

(I've no need for the phone/voice component, it is a part of the bundle though)

Here's the downside: I have a Netgear R6220 - AC1200 Smart WiFi Router which I have tried getting to work to no avail.

nbn NTD --> Laptop PC Ethernet port = Connection to www 🙂

nbn NTD --> WAN port of Netgear --> ETHERNET --> Laptop PC = No connection to www 😞

nbn NTD --> WAN port of Netgear --> WIRELESS --> Laptop PC = No connection to www 😞

Can confirm the correct nbn port is being used 😉

Followed Netgear connection instructions (Out of the Box and also from the www)

Followed nbn connection instructions to connect the router.

Optus "Technical Support" confirmed that I have connected correctly from nbn box to Router via ethernet to WAN port of Router.

Have cycled through numerous powercycle cycles...

nbn NTP off --> Netgear Router off --> nbn NTP on --> Netgear Router on = No www

Netgear Router off --> nbn NTP off --> Netgear Router on --> nbn NTP on = No www

Netgear Router off --> nbn NTP off --> nbn NTP on --> Netgear Router on = No www

Netgear Router off --> Netgear Router on --> nbn NTP off --> nbn NTP on = No www

nbn NTP off --> nbn NTP on --> Netgear Router off --> Netgear Router on = No www

etc.

The SOP reply from Optus "Technical Support" was "Please use the Optus supplied Saegem F@st MODEM..." #frustration #sadface

Asked for the config settings a number of times, (DNS, Connection Protocol etc.) to which there was no clue by "Technical Support" Consultant and Team Leader. (Though really, it should be plug&play for nbn FTTP, as the NTD acts as the MODEM in this case, but anywhoo...)

Have also been advised to contact Netgear for the connection details; to which I was then directed to:

Netgear Knowledge base support

(The page states

"Disclaimer:

Any router/modem with gigabit WAN port will work with NBN connection or any Fiber Internet Service Provider, not just the D6300.")

Sooooooo... What am I doing wrong here?

"Help me Obi Wan Kenobi; You're my only hope"

Please and Thanks in advance 🙂

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Help Please! - BYO MODEM for nbn FTTP - (Voice not needed)

Silly question... But have you tried a different cable?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Help Please! - BYO MODEM for nbn FTTP - (Voice not needed)

I have indeed tried a different Ethernet cable between the WAN ports.

Additionally, it seems NAS doesn’t like to work with this Saegem MODEM.  But that’s probably a separate thread right there...

0 Kudos