Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
jandent5
New Contributor
New Contributor

Have we been scammed?

Last night we received a phone call from a woman with a strong accent telling us that we are being switched over to an NBN service which is fast and would bring our Optus monthly bill down to $65 per month.  Our broadband/mobile phone service is in my name yet she phoned my husband.  She asked him for our address, his email address and his Medicare card number.  She talked almost literally non-atop for ages until I took the phone and firmly questioned her indicating my concern of a scam.  I ended up convinced that this was for real and she wanted to continue to talk with my husband.  She seemed to be well informed re our Optus account details which now makes me wonder why she had to ask for our home address and what does my husband's Medicare No.  have to do with our broadband and mobile phones?  We would so much appreciate hearing back your opinions.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
George_YC

Re: Have we been scammed?

Hi @jandent5
Thank you for raising this issue with us and we'd love to help you get to the bottom of this.

At times, we do ask for further details to verify the account and to complete an eligibility check. We also contact the number which is listed as the contact number on your account, this is possibly why your husband was contacted.

Please note that we’re unable to look into account details on Yes Crowd.

If you’re still needing a hand and would like us to look into this, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

If for some reason you’re unable to, if you have a social media account, please then send a PM to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance mentioning you’re unable to use the My Optus app.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I'm not sure its a scam, but seems like it might be dodgy practices from a legit Optus call centre.

My guess is that you currently have Optus cable and they want to switch you to NBN.

I'm assuming that the $65 they are referring to was just for the internet, not for internet and mobile. If so then that is a $75 plan with a $10 discount for having a mobile. That would be an expected price. If it was a scammer they would more likely offer you a more enticing amount. 

The dodgy part is talking to your husband instead of you if they were switching accounts because, as you say, the accounts are in your name. This to me is an indication that they are trying to get your husband to sign up for a new service rather then switching your old service. which is what they should be doing if you already have an existing Optus cable service. It is much better for the caller (performance/commission/bonus wise) to sell a new service then to convert an existing one. And with a new service for a new customer they will require a 100 point ID check so that's why the medicare question.

In any case contact Optus directly and find out if a new service has been ordered by your husband, or if there have been any changes to your account. If either of those happened then let Optus know about the dodgyness.

jandent5
New Contributor
New Contributor

I so appreciate your reply.  I will follow your advice and message to the link you provides.  Best regards, Jandent5.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Have you been scammed? It seems not but it also seems only because you got lucky.

IMO *any* cold call that request *any* details from you should be politely ended immediately. If you've recently arranged for a company to contact you then sure, but scammers will use the exact same contact as it appears Optus did to mine information etc.

There should always be a secondary contact method available for companies that need to get in touch with you. They'll email, write a letter, tell you to log into your online account (without providing links but just directing you to do so how you normally do).

Optus shouldn't be muddying the waters with such cold calling practices that off the bat start demanding personal details before they can continue. They shouldn't be saying they've got a great deal for you if you just tell us your date of birth and medicare number - they're a telecommunications company for goodness sake.

On a separate note, your Optus cable is undoubtedly due to be shut off completely in the next few months (it might be tomorrow). The internet and phone will simply go dead. You need to organise to migrate to the NBN now. You can contact Optus (yourself) and request they manage it. Or ask some friends and look around as now every ISP can offer highspeed internet and different plans and prices that might suit.

As one thought. The NBN will not use the Optus cable. So you can leave that in place and get another ISP to install the NBN (make sure you sign up to one of the many month to month plans now available). You will have no downtime and after you've got on the NBN you can decide which ISP to stay with. If the new one then just shut down the Optus account. If Optus then just contact Optus and ask them to take over your NBN line (once you are on the NBN switching to a new ISP is almost immediate and easy.)
jandent5
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks so much for your reply. I believe that for some reason without contacting me, they are setting us up for a new service in my husband's name. Your comment re the point ID check makes a lot of sense re the Medicare issue. Thanks again, best regards Jandent5.
0 Kudos
jandent5
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you Petergdownload. In particular, the last part of your reply makes a lot of sense as I do believe this is what is happening. There was a report on the news recently about this, but I don't understand the way Optus has gone about switching us over. I will now contact them myself and talk with them and hopefully have it sorted out. Can't help but wonder how many other Optus customers are having the same experience. I intend to let them know that the way they have handled this issue is frightening like a scam. Best regards, Jandent5.
Jack_YC

nrr- George already answered question

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos