Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor baysidebounce
New Contributor

Have I been scammed

I recently signed up to a 2 year NBN contract with Optus Southland and got 6 months free on the condition that I purchase an IPad over the same period paying $25 a month. Seemed a good deal but a friend at work got the same deal at Optus Southland without having to by the IPad. 

Have I been scammed by the sales person? If so, who do I complain to?

Not happy. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Re: Have I been scammed

6 months free internet access, lets say you are on a $80 plan thats $480, $25 x 24 = $600 Thats $120 for a iPad and 24 months access,  thats a great deal! If your friend is getting it for free then it seems too good to be true. Optus must be over budget or getting the money from your friend elsewhere.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Have I been scammed

Scammed? No. Buyers Regret? Sounds like it. 

Its illegal to deceive a potential buyer but there's nothing saying they can't offer you a straight forward deal that maximises there profit. Otherwise you'd have Optus staff disclosing that customers should check out a better deals by competitors (and visa versa). The sales staff in this instance appear to have done their job, its possible you haven't done yours (i.e. due diligence and caveat emptor). 

It doesn't have to be an expensive mistake though. Leave the iPad unopened and sell it on eBay for say a $100 discount (easy sell). Then you're left with a 25% NBN discount and maybe a little out of pocket on the iPad (but hopefully have learned something)

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos