cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Glenlyon
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone else received a call from Optus to confirm address for a new, free of charge, modem?

The call seemed rather spammy, however I did not volunteer any information, and an order has been placed for an "AC Wifi Modem (NBN FTTP/NBN FW)".

I can't find anything about this campaign and am wondering why Optus are doing this.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Has anyone else received a call from Optus to confirm address for a new, free of charge, modem?

Possibly a mix up with another account getting one ordered for you but does seem sus. I'd like to say Optus wouldn't contact you out of the blue requesting confidential information but they do an many occassions. You'd think a telecommunications company would be more sensitive to not traininng their customers to give out information that way.

I'd LIVECHAT Optus and see if they have a record of any delivery on your file but FWIW there's no new Optus modem being shipped out generally.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Re: Has anyone else received a call from Optus to confirm address for a new, free of charge, modem?

As I mentioned, I didn't volunteer any information.  They had the name of the account and the address.

Within a few minutes of the call an official order was raised on the account and we received the email from Optus about it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

So for those playing at home, Live Chat confirm the order is legitimate.

After checking they found out that our "service is being migrated" and thus we will need a new modem. 

I queried what exactly was being migrated since we are on NBN FTTP and do need no migration 🙂 They have done some more checking and it would seem they were given the wrong information.

It seems that it just that our Netgear EVG2000 is very old (this is true, we have had it four about 5 1/2 years) and it is being replaced by a "Sagemcom gateway f@st 3645"

Although according to https://www.optus.com.au/for-you/support/answer?id=8461&question=quick-start-guide-nbn-cable the only options are sagemcom f@st 3864 or 3864V3

I will have to do some research to see if that is actually a good thing or not 🙂

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Contributor DarrenH
Contributor

"Sagemcom f@st 3864 or 3864V3"  oh no poor things. Absolute piece of trash of a modem.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

We did improve WiFi stability in firmware update 10.70.1 (that was back in late April). Our replacement modems should be pre-loaded with firmware version 10.7 and above. . 

That's on the F@ST 3864v3HP. 

0 Kudos