Searching...

Handling a loyal customers NBN outage

vortex_690

My NBN was out over Christmas meaning I had no Internet no TV no home phone and the kids are home and 40deg too hot to go outside

I called Optus so many times trying to find out when it was going to be fixed yet they had no clue and they didn’t know what was wrong with it except it was an outage

After finally getting it fixed I contacted Optus to see if I will get a credit for the outage and the hassles I believe I got a lousy 10 not that the tech actually told me what he credited

I had to look on my account page which is so confusing now that is a joke Optus

At the same time when I spoke to him I enquired about two other devices that I have with Optus I was told during signup that I would get a loyalty credit for having more devices connected on the same plane

He told me that is not the case because my bundle is not the right one or something.

But he was more than happy to change me to a more expensive bundle

When I asked him what are the differences between the bundles he just sent me a link and told me to look 

To sum this up I do not feel like a loyal customer

My father-in-law had the same outage he is with Telstra they gave him 200 credit on his account when he told me this and I find out I get a lousy 10 you can imagine why I was pretty upset and to top it off  his Telstra connection has a back up data Sim so when the NBN goes down he go straight to the mobile network 

After all this I considering moving my services

Re: Handling a loyal customers NBN outage

Jeneral__Pain

You need to understand the outage is with NBN not Optus, however you are a consumer customer. You aren't entitled to any credit, the fact that Telstra threw $200 at someone without any context to what else may have occurred is just what it is. I also point out, I find it hard to believe Telstra gave them a $200 credit especially with a 4G backup service. You get one or the other not both, so I'm left asking myself, how much of this post is "embellished" in the name of "loyalty".

On the topic of "they didnt' know what was going on", they won't know what the details of the outage is. They simply get notified that "NBN Area XXX has a declared outage and NBN are investigating/fixing". This is assuming NBNCo have even updated their own portal.

Yes its "too hot" and all these other things, however, do you expect a technician to stand out in the blazing sun fixing things so you can sit inside in your air conditioned home streaming netflix? I don't mean to sound harsh but that's effectively what you are demanding, whilst demanding the service for free and not paying for it. Whilst making Optus continue to pay for the wholesale service that they aren't being supplied either. NBNCo are notorious for not telling anyone what is going on.

What you seem to be expecting is:

* Significantly large unnecessary credits for what arguably could be a "few days offline" (sadly you haven't specified the start and end time of your alleged outage so it's hard to say)

* You are demanding loyalty whilst saying "I'm going to take my bat and ball, and go home". You can't have it both ways (or as the old saying goes 'you cant have your cake and eat it too').

Generally speaking, if you are going to be provided a credit it's done using this simple equation:

$Monthly Fee /(Divide) by 28 days = $ per day x days of outage = credit

ie: $99 monthly / 28 = 3.53 day x  3 days = 10.60

Giving you effectively 2 months for free using the $99 example, is just... silly.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

vortex_690

Hi first of all I don't like being called a liar

it is what happened because I guess Telstra even though 

they are out of pocket they consider my father-in-law a customer and want to keep him as a customer

Is not up to us as a consumer to chase the NBN co for outages it's why we pay for a service it's up to the ISP to chase them for their outages and get their money back from them

And considering all the money that a isp makes little

Bit back to look after their customers in good value is nothing

I'm sure it was you in my situation you be having a whinge as wellI'

and as I said before I was offered something when I signed the contract but silly me didn't check to see whether it actually been applied to my account I believed it was all done in good faith

So maybe get off your high horse and don't accuse me of being a liar

the only reason I posted on the form because every time I ring Optus I can't get anyone to respond after 45 minutes of been on hold

I don't have the time my day for that like

some keyboard ninjas

Jeneral__Pain

To clear things up here, I didn’t call you a liar. I simply stated “I’m asking myself how much of this is embellished”. If you feel that this means @vortex_690 that I called you a dishonest person, I’m sorry you see it that way but Telstra doesn’t just throw out wild credits especially since the person you mentioned had 4G backup too.

as for “making money”, the margin they make on services are razor thin. So they have to sell on volume to make any sort of profit. 

When you post here, staff during business hours will intervene if it’s clear you’ve tried and tried again. But this doesn’t negate you using chat or phone support. 

If you still feel had done by, www.optus.com.au/complaints 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
102 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos