Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
markusdive
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

HP Officejet 5740 Printer does not connect with 5GHz nbn modem

Hooked up to my new nbn Optus modem and now I am unable to connect my trusted HP Officejet 5740 printer/scan as it tells me the device is not compatible with 5GHz wireless modem?? Any other way to connect this printer - don't want to have to buy a new printer for upgrading the Optus nbn 

Cheers

0 Kudos
6 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: HP Officejet 5740 Printer does not connect with 5GHz nbn modem

The Optus modem has both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz bands, so just connect the printer to the 2.5Ghz SSID.

0 Kudos
markusdive
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

How do I reset or find the 2.5GHz Wifi? It does not show up on all the Wifi networks available. I just realised that with setting up the new modem to 5GHz my Solar App and my Daikin App are no longer working either?!? When I set up the modem it only gave me the option/indication to connect to 5GHz

How come that Optus only shows this option when clearly most appliances are not coping with that setting??! 

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be on by default with the 5GHz SSID ending in _5GHz, _5, or something similar depending on exactly which model modem you have.

So for example the SSID for my 2.4GHz is OptusBB2_12abcd and 5GHz is OptusBB2_12abcd_5GHz .

If you can't see matching pairs you should log into the router using the "optus" user (as shown on the sticker on the  back/bottom of the modem) and check the wifi settings:

a) check that both 2.4GHz and 5GHz are turned on, and

b) make sure that they don't have 100% identical names (my SSIDs are different because one ends in _5GHz and the other does not).

0 Kudos
markusdive
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I followed your advise above and turn off the 5GHz in the router and now I can not longer get wifi at all! the modem does not show the wifi sign any longer and I have to tedder with my phone at moment to write this. I am unable to get that 192 router page up again to switch to 2.5GHz - very disappointing in the way this simple set-up is NOT working at all
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@markusdive wrote:
I followed your advise above and turn off the 5GHz in the router 

I never actually said to turn off 5GHz, I said ensure that both 2.4GHz and 5GHz were ON.

The router should have a wifi button on the front/back which when held down for 2-3 seconds would normally toggle wifi on/off, but since you manually disabled them in 192 page then its unlikely to turn wifi back on, but you might as well give it a try. 

If that doesn't work you have two options:

1) If you have a laptop/pc etc you con connect to the router via LAN cable and it will give you access to the 192 page, and hopefully the laptop/pc will auto configure itself.

2) do a factory reset of the router by pushing a paperclip into the reset hole on the back of the router (while its powered on) for 10 seconds. Note that you will lose all custom setting (if any) that you have ever made to that router, but it will default to wifi being on.

very disappointing in the way this simple set-up is NOT working at all

It should have defaulted to but 2.4 and 5 being on, so I don't know why yours did not.

Can you give me the model number of the router you have?

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

So what was the issue, and how did you end up solving it?

0 Kudos