Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
paulsmithy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Google Nest WiFi v Netgear RBK50 Orbi on Optus NBN HFC

Hi all

I am currently on NBN with Optus HFC with the supplied Sagecom router. I was on the 50/20 speed pack but at my home office desk (the far end of the house away from the router in our single storey home) I was only achieving speeds of approx. 20mbps. I have added the speed pack to 100/40 bit still only achieve speeds in the home office of around 30. If I move next to the router it is of course a different story – I can get 90+ there – so I know the internet itself is not at fault.

I have decided to get a mesh system to resolve this issue. I think just the router and one satellite will be fine for my needs. I’ve done a fair bit of research and have pretty much narrowed it down to either the Google Nest WiFi or the Netgear RBK50 Orbi AC3000. I would be keen to get any responses to the below though:

1. Thoughts between the two options. I know the Netgear is an old (discontinued?) model as they are now pushing WiFi 6 range but I have found it at a good price and I am sure will serve me well for a few years. I am also looking to use the parental control features and am aware the Netgear has Disney Circle (albeit a sub required) so I think offers a bit more flexibility there. Main thing is though, anyone with any experience of using either with Optus HFC NBN at all?
  2. I currently have a Sonos system which of course creates its own mesh. Maybe a stupid question but will that create any issues?
  3. Although rarely (if ever) used we do want to keep the landline for now (primarily for emergency use by the kids). I know this can’t be done through either new router but I have read it is possible to still use this through the Sagecom router though am confused how that should be configured (as I obviously want the Netgear / Google to be the main router). Any help on that would be great.

All feedback much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Jack_YC

Re: Google Nest WiFi v Netgear RBK50 Orbi on Optus NBN HFC

Hey there @paulsmithy, we now offer the Optus Ultra WiFi Booster if you're looking for an option to improve your WiFi coverage.

If you're interested in discussing your individual connection, you can message our Technical team via the My Optus App or our Messaging page. Our other Yes Crowd users here may also have some helpful info for you too. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@paulsmithy wrote:

Main thing is though, anyone with any experience of using either with Optus HFC NBN at all?

Should not be an issue.

Although rarely (if ever) used we do want to keep the landline for now (primarily for emergency use by the kids). I know this can’t be done through either new router but I have read it is possible to still use this through the Sagecom router though am confused how that should be configured (as I obviously want the Netgear / Google to be the main router). Any help on that would be great.

You plug the Sagemcom into one of your new routers LAN ports. If it phone does not work straight away then you need to do some port forwarding (port 5060) and/or disabling a setting on the new router (SIP ALG).

0 Kudos
paulsmithy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. It’s the port forwarding and the disabling part that confuses me. Maybe I should try it and then post if I have an issue? I guess it’s to ensure Sagecom doesn’t control wifi still?
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I've written plenty of posts about it in this forum, if that doesn't help feel free to ask.

The settings have nothing to do with wifi. The port forwarding is to bypass the firewall on the new router, and the SIP ALG disabling is a wokaround to a bug that some routers have. Once everything is working you should actually disable the wifi on the Sagemcom just so that it does not cause any interference and to save power.
0 Kudos
paulsmithy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have read elsewhere that to use the phone still I would need to have the new router (whether it is Netgear or Google) in Access Point mode. And in so doing, would not be able to use the parental controls they offer (Circle with Orbi). Is that correct? Any way round this?

Or do I have to choose between phone or parental controls?

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I can't think of any reason the Netgear/Google would need to ve in AP mode. That's a pretty extreme thing to do just to get the phone to work.
0 Kudos
paulsmithy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. Anyone using one of these routers on HFC NBN with a home phone and still using the parental controls (ie Circle on the Orbi?)

0 Kudos
paulsmithy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So elsewhere I was advised:

You can't use the phone (landline) with the mesh WiFi or the old router - you can try using DMZ mode if the Optus router has it. Otherwise no.

You can put the Netgear router in AP mode but it will block access to parental controls. Google Nest Wifi doesn't have a proper AP mode. So those options are a no go.

You can add VoIP to the Netgear or Google Nest Wifi by changing VoIP providers and using a VoIP ATA to connect an old phone or an IP phone. Parental controls will work.

NBN HFC NTD > new router > VoIP ATA > phone.

NBN HFC NTD > new router > IP phone.

Really just want to know if I can use phone (landline) with Google Nest WiFi or Netgear Orbi and still utilize parental controls that they offer.....

Thanks

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@paulsmithy wrote:

You can't use the phone (landline) with the mesh WiFi or the old router - you can try using DMZ mode if the Optus router has it. Otherwise no.

This makes no sense. What this is describing is

NBN HFC NTD > Sagemcom (in DMZ mode) > VoIP ATA > phone.

Which is only a valid scenario if you don't need to use the phone with the Sagemcom directly. By putting the Sagemcom in DMZ (and pointing the DMZ to the VoIP ATA) you are bypassing the Sagemcom's phone functionality. What you want is:

NBN HFC NTD > new router > Sagemcom > phone. 

You can't even use DMZ in the Sagemcom because there is no device behind the Sagemcom to point the DMZ to.

You can put the Netgear router in AP mode but it will block access to parental controls.

It should not be necessary to put the Netgear in AP mode because that is overkill. There are generally just two things on a router the interfere with phone data, and that's blocking data  on port 5060, which you can get around with a simple port forward rule, and corrupting phone data by having SIP ALG (also known as SIP passthrough) enabled on some devices (not all devices have a buggy SIP ALG implementation). 

The Netgear should give you control of the SIP ALG. Don't know about the Google Nest, nor do I know if the Nest suffers from the same SIP ALG bug, so setting port forwarding on it may be enough.

You can add VoIP to the Netgear or Google Nest Wifi by changing VoIP providers and using a VoIP ATA to connect an old phone or an IP phone. Parental controls will work.

This doesn't help you because you want to use Optus' VoIP, not a 3rd party one.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors