Searching...
Highlighted

Google Mesh and FTTC nbn connectivity

hedess

Hi,
I have just had nbn (FTTC) modem + the Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 3864V3 HP installed. It all works with the modem and phone connected.
However, in my previous Optus HFC connected modem I had my phone connected and then I had a new Google WiFi mesh connected directly to the modem.
Now that I have been given a new modem from Optus how do I connect the Google WiFi mesh to it? I have 3 WiFi mesh points with my Google mesh system that I need to get WiFi through my house.
According to Google the first mesh point must be directly connected to the WAN. If I do that directly to the nbn modem I will lose my phone connection.
Can anyone help? Have others been successful with setting this up with the phone working as well?

I have tried to illustrate the before and after in the picture.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Presentation1.jpgCheers

Hedess

Re: Google Mesh and FTTC nbn connectivity

Jeneral__Pain

You've made a few errors, on FTTC it's like this...

old copper cable --> NBN FTTC Box --(ethernet)--> (wan port)S@GEM ---- 1/2/3

1/ phone plugs in here

2/ ethernet ports for those on ethernet

3/ you can run "mesh WiFi if you want" (make sure they aren't running in router mode).

That said, you can run the mesh in the way you've described, HOWEVER, this means you'll end up with "Double NAT" and this can play havoc with some games and/or online services hanging off your WiFi (such as you connecting into remote surveillance cameras etc).

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

hedess

Thanks for the response.

So how do I set the router so it's not running in router mode. If I do that and I connect the Google mesh will I then be able to use the Google mesh to do the routing without the double NAT issue?

In this configuration will the Phone Line still work?

Any help to try and resolve this appreciated.

Thanks

Hedess

Jeneral__Pain

I googled "How to turn off routed mode on Google Mesh" and found

https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en-AU

Everything can be found with a little bit of effort Smiley Happy 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

hedess

Thanks again and I have seen that in Googles site.

They also state -  "Yes, but it will only work if you’re using a single Google Wifi point. If you’re creating a mesh network with multiple Wifi points, your Primary Wifi point cannot be in bridge mode. This is because the Primary Wifi point needs to do special things to control settings and communication within your Wi-Fi network. If it’s in bridge mode, you’ll lose some of Google Wifi’s key features."

I have 3 wifi points in my mesh so still not going to achieve what I need.

I am going to try and set the Sagecom to Bridge mode so that it does not route and then try and connect the Google wifi to it to see if the routing can then be done by the Google wifi point. Hopefully the phone will still work in this scenario.

Thanks

Hedess

[ Edited ]
SillyGogo

if doublenat is not an issue then connect the first google wifi to one of the LAN port of the sagem modem and keep the google wifi as router mode. The rest of the node then connects to the first pot to complete the mesh network. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos