Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Barnypb
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Gaming unplayable - Optus NBN

If Optus know the cable is damaged, why do they not route the traffic over the Southern Cross Network (SCCN) which they partly own?

SCCN.jpg

0 Kudos
Plonker
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Received a call from Optus case management team. They're technical team have deemed the issues I'm experiencing with high latency, packet loss and slow download performance during peak hour are within acceptable limits for a residential service. What a disgraceful outcome. When pushed to explain why I'm experiencing all these issues, they just claim it's network congestion, like that's some valid reason that is out of their control. The network is congested because Optus do not purchase enough bandwidth to service their customers sufficiently. End of.

I've never dealt with a company who treat their customers with such disdain. Over the past three weeks, I've had no less than 5 customer "representatives" apologise for the network congestion, but not one of them have provided me with any assurance that the issue will be addressed in the future. Optus clearly know what the root cause is, but instead of providing meaningful information about what is being done to rectify the situation, their staff are trained to placate their customers about this mysterious network congestion conundrum everyone is facing.

I'll be trying to get in touch with case management team again tomorrow (no idea how!) as I'm not satisfied that the issue has been addressed in an acceptable manner. I strongly disagree that latency increasing four-fold at night, 10% packet loss and peak hour downloads of 3mbps are within acceptable limits, regardless if it's "just" a residential service. If someone from the Yes Crowd team could advise me on how I can do this, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Shauna
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

@Plonker - Terribly sorry for the outcome, I can appreciate this isn't ideal. Are you able to private message us so we can take a further look? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
nhathd
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Just an update, I posted here several weeks ago. I'm still experiencing latency and stuttering issues during peak hours. I messaged one of the moderators last week but have not received a response yet. I'm not sure about how to proceed from here but I will probably put another call to tech support later this week when I'm free.

0 Kudos
Shauna
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi there, @nhathd. I've replied to your PM 🙂

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
DrWalks
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have just started getting this same issue in Logan QLD, after running speed tests as well as the ping tests I can see that the download connection stays solid 20-30mb/s but the upload seems to drop out consistently causing the latency (at least in my case) I can see the upload jumping up to 2-5mb/s but every few seconds it would drop to almost 0. I play online gaming almost every night and was on Cable before beeing moved to NBN, I dont want to stay on a congested network so I will be contacting Optus today to see what my options are for moving off or walking away as the original poster did.

I should also mention the issues are only between 6-7pm and some time early morning. When I get up around 5am the speed is back to normal 40mb down/30mb up.

0 Kudos
Aman_B

Really sorry for the experience @DrWalks. Please contact our NBN experts Here from your PC so that we can investigate the slow speeds 

0 Kudos
pinhead
New Contributor
New Contributor

I am experiencing the same as you. I'm in Canberra and my connection to PoE gets horrible around peak evening times. It's fine during the mornings but anything between 5pm-11pm is just rubbish. I actually get a better ping on a VPN and have made a post about it here (https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/Better-routing-from-Canberra-gt-Melbourne-via-a-VPN/td-p/322971)

I think contacting the TIO or NBN Co faults team to get out of the Optus contact is my only solution.

Hannah-L
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @pinhead, how did you get on contacting the Tech Support team? Is there anything you're still needing assistance with?

0 Kudos
Bkmp15
New Contributor
New Contributor

Gaming unplayable Pubg mobile - Optus NBN

I have 45mbps / 12 upload speed With Optus nbn still my PUBG mobile gets 300 to 400 ms of server reply while playing the game, this game is playable if the ms is less than 100. I tried Telstra prepaid sim and it makes me to play with 150ms. Is anybody else having similar issues ? It’s not only PUBG mobile , I play cricket 19 with my PS4 pro, it says poor connection too...I have reset my router to factory settings , tried 5g channel and upgraded the router too- No use ...any suggestions please

0 Kudos