Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
acacia
New Contributor
New Contributor

Gaming unplayable - Optus NBN

I've had Optus NBN (HFC) for around 3 weeks, immediately after moving from my existing unlimited TPG DSL service i started experiencing issues gaming primarily lag, freezing, rubber-banding. This generally happens during peak times (after 6-7pm) and varies in severity from minor lag to completely unplayable.
I'm not usually home Friday night's so i don't have a point of comparison however i spent last Fri 11/08/2017 planning to play Overwatch which was unplayable from around 19:00-23:30 at which point i gave up. I spent the time troubleshooting myself and attempting again to troubleshoot with tech support who again assured me that there was no congestion.

1. I've rebooted all equipment and factory reset my modem at tech supports request
2. I am the only one using the connection through an ethernet cable
3. Speedtest comes back at around 14.5/4.5mb for a 25/5mb service (I know this is within the expected limits, it's not an issue for me i'm really just looking for a functional game )

My TPG service is still connected at my house so i was able to just move the ethernet cable between my Optus NBN and TPG DSL to test throughout the night. The difference was incredible.

-TPG maintained a standle 30ms ping and 45ms RTT with no packet loss.
-Optus would fluctuate heavily, RTT could be anywhere from 55ms into the 100's. Ping would also fluctuate wildly and the game would report frequent packet loss which was experienced through play. Characters would dissapear and reappear, abilities would trigger well after the button was pushed, it's a standard gaming experience over a poor link.

What i am experiencing seems to be indicitive of what many others are experiencing on the Optus network from reading both he Whirlpool and Optus forums. I am also struggling with tech support, they really seem to focus on the fact that the speed test comes back fairly normal so there must be no issues.

I have included some of the stats taken below, i have many from my house and using Blizzards looking glass however i found the built in network graph quite good.
-Overwatch network graph - Optus NBN (the symols on the left and large orange lines are bad)

http://imgur.com/Eu4Fwro
-Overwatch network graph - TPG DSL

http://imgur.com/URhF5q4

The gaming servers don't respond to ping but here is a random trace to 8.8.8.8 out of interest.

OPTUS
Tracing route to 8.8.8.8 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.10.1
2 33 ms * 33 ms 175.32.0.1
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 54 ms 68 ms 60 ms 59.154.18.170
8 70 ms 63 ms 67 ms 72.14.223.66
9 79 ms 109 ms 77 ms 108.170.247.33
10 39 ms 40 ms 42 ms 216.239.41.1
11 39 ms 45 ms 29 ms 8.8.8.8

TPG
Tracing route to 8.8.8.8 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.10.2
2 17 ms 17 ms 17 ms 10.20.22.149
3 31 ms 30 ms 30 ms 203.219.5.57
4 33 ms 31 ms 31 ms 203.219.155.130
5 30 ms 31 ms 31 ms 202.7.173.17
6 32 ms 31 ms 32 ms 203.221.3.6
7 28 ms 29 ms 28 ms 203.219.106.250
8 30 ms 30 ms 31 ms 108.170.247.33
9 31 ms 31 ms 31 ms 209.85.251.53
10 30 ms 29 ms 30 ms 8.8.8.8

At this point i am wondering where i can go from here, I find it absurd that I am forced to fail back to my TPG DSL link just to gain a reliable gaming experience. I have a few days to decide whether to withdraw my cancellation order for TPG so that i can maintain my copper service because as it stands Optus NBN is useless to me.
I'm happy to accept a better avenue of escalation or recommendations on further troubleshooting however i will not be factory reseting my Optus modem anymore, it's obviously not fixing the problem.

Just to reiterate this was not a once off issue, Friday night was just the worst that i experienced.

29 Replies
acacia
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Gaming unplayable - Optus NBN

Tonight again i have a poor gaming experience, i then tried Netflix which is pixelated. Speed test is varying from around 11mb to 20mb download.

Just got off the phone to support. I was told that there is 90% utilization in my area, if there really is 90% on a Monday night with the poor but playable conditions i am experiencing tonight i find it hard to believe that there was actually no congestion on Friday night.

After pressing the issue a little more, I was told my issues are due do congestion on the Optus network however there is no ETA for upgrades, there is nothing he can do and it's been entered into the job notes. When i asked for a copy of the notes i was told because of privacy they cannot be shared.

Again flicking back to my TPG DSL works fine. 

It looks like the only way forward will be to:

1. Cancel my Optus NBN

2. Retract my cancellation order on my TPG DSL and move back to that. Slow to update games but at least i can play.

3. Contact the ACCC/TIO with all of information i have gathered over the last week.

4. Feel disgusted, ripped off, and frustrated but grateful that i will never have to weave through that IVR ever again.

0 Kudos
acacia
New Contributor
New Contributor

Would be great to hear from Optus regarding your service. Do you have level 2 tech support who might be able to look further or perhaps be willing to try something other than a standard speed test?

0 Kudos
acacia
New Contributor
New Contributor

It got to the point where i couldn't even watch netflix properly on week nights let alone play a game. I paid for 25/5mb of internet traffic not 25mb of traffic prioritised to speed test.

Cancelled NBN and stuck to DSL, it's slow to update my game but at least its playable.

0 Kudos
TezzaP
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@acacia  sounds like you have one of 2 things ..

1.   could be a problem with your HFC (i doubt it)

2.   you are using optus world famous congested CVC's .    You see they dont purchase enough CVC bandwidth to enable all customers to get the bandwidth they pay for so in peak times your NBN service will be worse than your ADSL was.  Its a huge issue with a lot of RSPs as they are not under law ablighed to provide the bandwidth you pay for becuase of the upto clause.    

I would do some speed tests though out the day over the course of a week.  to confirm the peak congestion.   I would also ask the mods on here to confirm if you are on a congested CVC and if not start assisting with getting the problem sorted

If you are on a congested CVC dont listen to the crap statements saying your cvc will be upgraded soon give us your contact details.   I waited 8 months and it just got worse ..   raise a complaint with TIO and look to get out of your contract without penality and move to another RSP who purchased more CVC than optus.

Good luck with it

my latest speed test was 93 down 38 up  at 618pm CST  

0 Kudos
Plonker
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

G'day, just wanted to lend weight to this issue. I'm in Newcastle trying to access servers based in Melbourne and I'm having the exact same issues. Good ping (20ms) in the wee-hours of the morning, however trying to game between the hours of 11am and 11pm, I'm suffering with a baseline ping of 90ms with packetloss and spikes.

Here's a 24-hour graph of my ping to au.login.pathofexile.com (hosted in Melbourne). This happens every single day like clockwork! More details are provided in my Yes Crowd post. I hope Optus are able to do something about this, it makes online gaming a source of constant frustration.

2017-08-20 20_50_40-au.login.pathofexile.com - PingPlotter Pro.jpg

Plonker
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sorry to get off topic (and this might sound ridiculous) but I was advised by Optus Support (over the phone) that I should reply to this topic as a means of getting my issue with posting to Yes Crowd resolved. When I've created topics on Yes Crowd, they are viewable when I'm logged in, but cannot be viewed by the Public. I've been through 2 hours of Online Chat and Phone Support to tell me the best option I have for getting this issue resolved is by replying to this thread.

Here is my post:

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/High-Latency-During-Peak-Hour/td-p/303417

It's perfectly visible when I click the link, but anyone else gets a "The topic you are trying to access is not available." when accessing it. Can one of the mods please assist.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Rugby
New Contributor
New Contributor

I'm having pretty much the same problems on Optus cable. Packet loss across 1000 packets to google.com.au is 4-5%. Max ping 3263, average 139, lowest 9. Tracerts time out the first hop after the modem. 

This nightmare begins around 7pm every night and will fix itself up by 11:30pm, but by then it's much too late to enjoy gaming. 

Is it possible this could be caused by NBN upgrades in the area? This is infuriating, moreso to hear that getting NBN will not resolve the issue. 

0 Kudos
nhathd
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'm also experiencing the same issues as mentioned in this thread. Is there a direct phone line to tech support or do I have to go through the usual channels before I get escalated? I'm thinking of switching back to Telstra because I didn't have any issues there.

0 Kudos
Plonker
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Only options for support are Live Chat and Phone Support (via 131344). I tried both yesterday and to be frank, it was pretty much a waste of time. I was basically told that the issue is congestion on the Optus network (not specific to my area) and my best option was to use the internet during off-peak hours (why didn't I think of that?). I did my best to explain this was far from an acceptable solution and asked what my options for escalation were; I was advised that the only escalation option I had was to leave feedback on the Optus website. Pathetic. Coming from Internode (specifically to get access to the Premier League), I'd have to say that the support (and network performance) with Optus is worse than I could have ever imagined.

0 Kudos