cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Gaming issue latency lag

you are a legend honestly wasn’t expecting detailed response thanks heaps.
Yes it is FTTC (believe me didn’t know this word existed before)I’m a forklifting driver I’m good in mmo games but not that clever when it comes to servers pings etc etc lol all I know is I’m having a latency problem that never existed before and trying my best to explain it well hoping to get a solution.. someone on Twitter contacted me back which was quick and I completed a privacy form I think that want to be sure that I’m the owner of that account also asked for speed test which I have provided so fingers crossed, quick question is the FTTC the right thing for me? and will this be changed ? What I mean is when the tech man came to my house to run a new cable can he interfere with what type of cable or the connection running between my house and the street where the NBN fibre cable was installed?
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc well someone on Twitter got back to me and I’m scratching my head more now as I’m asked for something and they answered me something totally different, read their response

Thanks for filling that out for us, Oabbs.

I've taken a quick look at your account and I can see you're on the 100 / 40 ($30 Speed Pack 4).

If you refer to the page here → https://www.optus.com.au/broadband-nbn/nbn/speed-packs, you can see that the Average Peak Download Speed for 7 pm to 11 pm (as at June 2020) is 93.5Mbps*. You can also read about the Typical Busy Period Download Speed by scrolling to the middle of the page.

I hope this clears up any misunderstandings. Let me know if you have any further questions.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

you are a legend

😂

honestly wasn’t expecting detailed response.

My aim is generally for enough detail to be helpful without getting too technical/overwhelming.

quick question is the FTTC the right thing for me? 

FTTC is more then adequate for gaming.

What I mean is when the tech man came to my house to run a new cable can he interfere with what type of cable or the connection running between my house and the street where the NBN fibre cable was installed?

The decision to put you on FTTC instead of anything else is made way above your local techs head, and there is no way he can change that. 

One thing I noticed when they did my FTTC install is that the tech didn't seem to know where the fibre connection point was (and other people reported the same thing), so I suppose there may be a potential to connect to the wrong one which is slightly further away, but even if that was the case any difference in performance should be negligible.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Oabbas wrote:
@YetAnotherAccwell someone on Twitter got back to me and I’m scratching my head more now as I’m asked for something and they answered me something totally different, read their response

Can't really say I'm surprised. Optus support staff do not tend to handle unexpected problems well, and more often give any answer that seems even vaguely connected to the problem.  You will just have to persist with them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes persisting did work I was a little tough with my respond but not rude 🤔 and I explained how the latency can affect my gaming when my speed test is showing no issues lol 😂 In fact I stole few line of your earlier response the one about server issue between Optus and the game’s server and have also request a personal from the network team to “please” check and surprise surprise I received a phone call from a case manager and took all the info and I have explained in details how I’m affected (gaming wise only) and she was honest and told me I know nothing about gaming! But I was told someone will check and monitor your connection and we will contact you again. I felt less frustrated now knowing someone is on it or at least taking my word for it and checking. Once again thanks @YetAnotherAcc I will wait for Optus to check and get back to me and will update you once I have more info hopefully good news.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Quick update
I received a phone call today at 6 AM ! lol yes Optus rang me on Sunday at 6 AM which I was fast asleep but then rang me 6 hours later and the lady was so polite but She asked me to turn computer on and open cmd and I was following then She asked me to write tracert space Your game link ! I was like what game link !! for the 100 time I’m using play station no pc game she goes ohh can you hold i will check with the network management i said sure .. now there is something about this “hold” everyTime I get asked to “hold” they actually hang up the line then ring you 5 minutes later! Not sure why They don’t just say “can we call you back in 5” anyway I received another call in 5 and was told that I should have the game server link that I connect to or the server ip or the game link !! I mean seriously I don’t even know what is my own IP address is so wasn’t sure how I’m suppose to get the server link that’s she is asking for .. told the lady listen it is a play station game no ip no server link all I do is click the icon on my console and the game start .. then was told without the link we can’t ping your game and see if there is congestion between your devise and your game !! Again I had to repeat I’m a play station player not a pc so not sure how this cmd ping on my pc is going to help or maybe I’m stupid enough to know how things works !! Anyway she said I will check with the team how can your game be pinged and will get back to you .. start to get a little frustrated and confused to be honest. Will update when I get more info
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

If you don't know IP addresses for the game servers you are connecting to then you should contact the games developers. Make sure you tell them you are from Australia, and which city so they can identify the correct game server.

You should probably tell them you PSN ID so that they can check the stats on their end and it confirm to them that you are connected to the intended server (not one in a different region).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply @YetAnotherAcc don’t think it is possible as the game I’m playing (Defiance) owned by Trion! was sold to a new company called Gamigo which is extremely hard to communicate with and yet we believe they have zero development team. The question was asked few times before about IP to ping the server (according to what I red on game’s forum) and the request was totally ignored. A mate of mine also playing the game having the exact same issue with latency in (Vic) I told him let me guess you are with Optus ? He said yeah how did you know !! Lol I told him well because you have same as my issue! I asked him to use his Mobile hotspot “Telstra” and he was chocked !! Once connected to his hot spot the game worked perfectly!! I believe he opened also a case with Optus support asking for explanation. Also quick feedback A mate of mine visited me yesterday his mobile with Optus so I asked him to test his hot spot and the game couldn’t even start!! Tested voda after the game launched perfectly tested my nbn lag latency straight away so not only nbn also mobile from Optus is having the same issue toward our game and what the solution is I don’t know .. Optus tech rang me few time and after every call I get told we will refer the issue to the case management and networking team (5 times so far) so nothing I can do now but waiting but if my issue didn’t get fixed I will have to terminate my connection and will switch to a different isp
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

If anyone is still having this issue on NBN, check out Game Path.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Ray_YC wrote:

If anyone is still having this issue on NBN, check out Game Path.

I was wondering how quickly Optus would start the hard sell of Game Path. At this point @Ray_YC you are just spamming the forums based on the two posts of yours I've seen because neither of the problems discussed would even benefit from Game Path.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors