cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Gaming issue latency lag

Hi guys
I have a small issue recently with my online gaming over play station, I’m faving a huge latency lag drop out disconnecting from the game, in peak hours which is driving me insane, I’m on 100mb up & 35mb down in peak but I’m facing packer drop the bad experience online, the best part is i connect using my mobile hotspot and the game run like magic (through Vodafone) shut down hot spot reconnect to my NBN latency back lag back game unplayable!! This started like 5 weeks ago and I’m scratching my head every day!! No work in my area or outage showing on the map so honest I’m not sure where to go from here!! Morning play is just fine this issue in peak hour from 6pm until midnight Sydney time .. any help available ? Or should I just switch to a different isp ?
0 Kudos
22 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Gaming issue latency lag

Hey there, @Oabbas thanks for posting here on Yes Crowd.

Not great to hear about the latency lag and drop outs you're experiencing whilst you're gaming. I understand how frustrating this would be as I have had my share of these issues when playing my favourite games (currenty playing Valorant and Apex Legends) where low pings and latency make a huge difference between winning fights! 

If you're experiencing these issues during specific times (during peak hours), it may sound like a congestion issue however it's hard to tell from here without additional info. There are many other factors that can contribute to high latency, ping, dropouts and packet loss.

I'd recommend going through our NBN troubleshooting guide to see if this helps. If you've already checked for outages in your area and there's nothing reported, I'd recommend getting in touch with our Tech Support team via Messaging in the My Optus App. They'll be able to take a deeper look into the issue at hand and also check to see if you're impacted by congestion. 

If for some reason you’re unable to use the My Optus app, please send a Private Message to the official Optus Facebook or Twitter page for further assistance and they'll be able to help out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the prompt reply
What bothering me is when I’m facing that latency I do a speed test and my test never below the 80mb Up never below 30mb Down but my game experience is terrible switching weapons take ages checking inventory take ages enemies not taking damage, I switch to my voda mobile hot spot the game work top no lag no latency no issue at all.

I’m on a speed pack 100mb and my speed test is up there on peak hours but my gaming experience is not there at all at peak hour.. I had a bad experience with support over the Optus app as it is going to be a mission impossible to explain this issue to overseas support who keep transferring me from one person to another.

I followed all troubleshooting and everything working fine also I downloaded an app called Pingify to test my ping which I will Use today after work to monitor my ping vs my speed test and see the outcome! But moving forward I don’t know where to go from here I mean the main reason I installed nbn + speed pack 100 is to have the good gaming experience which I’m not at the mean time and it is so frustrating

Do you believe I should contact someone from support on my Optus app ? And if there is a congestion why my speed test is not low or affected buy that congestion!! What I’m trying to say is can I be in congestion be there but not showing in speed test?
0 Kudos
Highlighted

No worries @Oabbas, thank you for letting us know. It's good to hear that your service looks to be working up to its standard at this current stage.

In regards to the Speed Test not reflecting if there is congestion on the network, it is definitely a strange one and may spend on the Speed Test website or service you chose to use.

I recommend that if you have any further issues in the future and are needing more support, feel free to reach out to our Social Media Teams via our Facebook and Twitter pages, as they can assist further with matters like this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

What type of NBN (FTTN, FTTC etc.) are you on?  If you are on HFC and its only happening in peak times it could be local congestion.

In addition to ping, you should do tracert during both peak and off-peak times. That should give an indication on where the latency is being introduced.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Funny you said that because I was thinking of something that recently happened to my connection! Firs to answer your question “I don’t know” I know that the NBN fibre is install in my street but not sure if that fibre is connected all the way to my house or still using the old copper. Now I recall 6 weeks ago my NBN modem stopped and start flashing red I contacted Optus and they sent me an nbn tech who have inspected the modem and then told I need to fix the cable connecting the internet from your house to the nbn in the street !! This was 6 weeks ago and my issue started 5 weeks ago ! So you reckon maybe the cable he installed isn’t working or compatible ? Now it does make sense .. how do I know if the new cable the nbn tech man install is causing this issue ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Oabbas wrote:
Firs to answer your question “I don’t know”

Enter your address here and see what it says for "Technology used in your connection".

So you reckon maybe the cable he installed isn’t working or compatible ?

If your problem was at all times of the day then I would easily say yes. But as its only happening during peak times I'm inclined to think is just congestion somewhere.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I did check my address and just gave me a basic info “ You are connected to the nbn™ broadband access network “

Yes my issue start from 6 PM but why I didn’t have any issues before is doing my head why just recently? And also why is it affecting my gaming experience but not my speed test and why my game work perfectly when I switch to mobile hot spot with voda !! I know I’m not expecting you to answer all my silly questions but I’m reaching out as I can’t really handle this any more it is stressful to have the top internet with top speed but then youR game don’t work ! Thanks I dropped a line to Optus on Twitter not sure what help they can offer there but to be honest I need any help I can get to eliminate this issue. Thanks @YetAnotherAcc I will be checking the pingify app today to see how good or bad my ping is while I’m playing unless you recommend another app or a way to test my ping ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Oabbas wrote:
I did check my address and just gave me a basic info “ You are connected to the nbn™ broadband access network “

Look just below that text near the top of the right hand column for "Technology used in your connection".

why is it affecting my gaming experience but not my speed test

Because congestion can happen on any part of the network. If its only affecting gaming and nothing else the the congestion will be somewhere between Optus and the gaming server. And the path to reach the gaming server will be different then the path to reach the speed test server.

why my game work perfectly when I switch to mobile hot spot with voda !!

Because that is a totally different path to the one your NBN connection will be using.

I know I’m not expecting you to answer all my silly questions

The're not silly questions. Just because you use the internet does not mean you are expected to know how the internet actually works 😉.

I dropped a line to Optus on Twitter not sure what help they can offer there but to be honest I need any help I can get to eliminate this issue. 

What they should be doing is passing your info to the network people because the front line staff themselves aren't generally going to have a clue about where the problem might be.

I will be checking the pingify app today to see how good or bad my ping is while I’m playing unless you recommend another app or a way to test my ping ?

Ping is't guaranteed to be a true indicator of a problem. For example, I'm in Melbourne and our xbox is reporting pings ~200ms, so gaming should be lagy, but its actually absolutely fine. Why the dependency?, Its because the xbox is pinging the home server in Washington, but the games are actually being served out of Sydney, and the latency there is ~20 ms.

Thats why I suggested doing tracert (traceroute) as well because that will tell you the latency between each network element. That's the type of detailed info that you should be supplying to Optus support (and here).

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

And just to clarify. tracert isn't a better indicator of congestion then ping is, its just able to identify where in the network the congestion is occurring, and in my xbox example it would not have provided any help at all because the ping and traert would still have been analysing the home server (Washington) route, and not the game server (Sydney) route.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors