Searching...

Frequent NBN dropouts and useless tech support

Fl0ptus

Hi,

I am sick and tired of getting frequent dropouts (last from 30 seconds to several minutes). Tested on both lame stock Optus modem and on my own Asus DSL-AC68U modem router. This week just gone (including today) is when my patience had ended.

Since my NBN connection in September 2017, I have had 3 major issues with Optus (resolved after following up). Never had this many issues with Optus when I had ADSL.

Now, dropouts are ridiculous, called tech support twice today.Both can see that I am experiencing frequent dropouts.

First girl I spoke to was switched on, listened to my concerns, said she will adjust the settings and see if dropouts disappear. Yet to call me back tomorrow to see how things are travelling.

Conversation ended, I went and rebooted my router- both ping and speed were terrible (tested using wired connection on OOKLA). Called Optus again just after 2000 hrs tonight- 45 mins wait, girl was useless. Started telling me that settings can't be changed, Optus is not at fault, it is all NBN, “please wait a few days as we need to see what’s happening” and refused to give me her staff ID.

I said that I need this for my own records, as I am going to compile all the info, so I can claim refund back from Optus and call TIO with supporting evidence of my dealings with Optus lately. She'd put me on hold in order to "ask my supervisor if I can give out my staff ID". She then returned, only provided me with a call reference number. In both instances none of them wished to log a fault.

Although I am paying $120 per month which includes supposed "speed boost" (I am on FTTN), I don't get anywhere near the advertised speeds.
Looking at https://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-broadband/nbn-speed-packs, it states "Fibre to the Node or Fibre to the Basement customers will have their speed confirmed once the service is activated and if the plan or speed pack chosen can’t be supported by the line, alternative options will be provided."
No alternative options provided to this date.

I am going to ask Optus for refund, as I have not received services I have paid for (speeds and dropouts), as well as requesting to be released from my contract, as I am over this.

Re: Frequent NBN dropouts and useless tech support

petergdownload

Hi FlOptus,

Sounds dire. A few thoughts.

You don't mention the speeds you are getting? What can you get out of peak hour (like now?) Optus should give you a specific top possible speed for your connection on request. If its less than what you are paying for then you should drop down a tier (and get a refund)

Yet to call me back tomorrow to see how things are travelling.

Fingers crossed for you on that one. Customer support has a bit of a wrap of promising to do this but often never getting through (its not like you can call them back and complain)

The issue does sound like it is the NBN proroblem  to fix. However that is not relevent as the product is being sold by Optus to you and it is up to Optus to provide what they promise. Not sure how successful you will be on getting a refund but it should be fairly doable to insist the contract be void.

Its disappointing that Optus seems to not be logging issues. I have read that all the major Telcos are dilliberately not keeping any records of faults logged so that when the ACCC asked they just said their was nothing available to report. Clever huh? hopefully that will soon change.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

Fl0ptus

Good afternoon Peter,

As I am not home during the the day weekdays , I couldn't tell you what the speeds are. Evenings (on weekdays and weekends) and during the day on weekends in can be anywhere between 17/5 Mbps to 22/11 Mbps. And I am still on additional $20 speedpack. And dropouts...

Yes, it is a shame they're not willing to log faults. Will keep you posted if I hear back from Optus rep.

As much as I'd love to get Optus to log a fault and fix everything,  I don't have time to call them on a daily basis and spent 45 mins on hold, only to be brushed off. Instead, I will be making sure that I get reimbursed for what was not delivered, exit the contract and leave after being with them for the past 13 or so years.

petergdownload

Good Luck,

At those speeds you should at the very minimum be entitled to a refund of the difference between tier 4 (100Mbps) and 2 (25Mbps). The drop outs only add to the claim.

The ACCC has directed that underperforming FTTN plans be compensated this way (as well as all affected customers be given the option to exit any contract immeadiately). However OPtus should have contacted you by now if they thought you were so affected. Get them to provide what they think is your lines max capability (and stop paying the $20 extra now as its of no use)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
Fl0ptus

Thanks. This is my speed at 18:20 today. Worse than it was. Calling Optus tech support now (on hold) to get them to revert to previous settings, as current speeds are  not acceptable. Speed plan is supposed to be 100/40 LOL

Highlighted

petergdownload

Keep in mind the "Faster than 80% of other Australians" - you are 'privileged'

That said, you're line seems unable to go above 25Mbps so paying for more is not useful.

See what they rate your line at.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Charlym

Story of my life mate!!! Exactly the same. Let me know how you go, i'm leavbing aswell and want to get refunded for the lasy 4 months of horrible internet service.

[ Edited ]
Fl0ptus

Good morning,

Well, I have managed to log a fault last night (although I had to firmly repeat 3 times that I wanted to log a fault, no exceptions).lady on another end wanted me to reset modems and all that (had to explain once again that this was  done already, tested on POS Sagem F@st and on Asus modem, wired connection) and tried blaming my speeds and drop out on assumtion that I must be using Wi-Fi.
Speeds this morning at 0700 hrs AEST

"Keep in mind the "Faster than 80% of other Australians" - you are 'privileged' Smiley Happy

Today it's "Faster than 86% of AU"! Makes me proud and I do feel special, like a ****wit who is happily paying too much for a scheisse service.

I've had no contact from Optus yet, but their website is stating there are delays in contacting people:

OPTUS1111.pngNBN tech was booked last night (tentative) "for between 1300-1700 hrs".

I advised Optus tech support that I am unable to take half a day off to sit and wait, requested to attend between 1600-1700 hrs, I can use some flex time.
At lunch I will be calling sales team to remove $20 speed pack and to be put on Speed Pack 3 Configured on NBN50 , then it's on to Customer Relations to be refunded and released from my contract.
Charlym-will keep you posted for sure. Last 6 months with NBN was a rollercoaster ride with Optus.

Fl0ptus

Here we go- no NBN tech yet. Just spoke on the phone with billing, who had only offered refund for 2 months (including for the billing period that had just started). I told the guy this is not right, he said "that's all we can offer", call then dropped out (went all silent). WTF?Smiley Indifferent

petergdownload

Yeah the support lines dropping out suddenly is something that comes up sometimes. Smiley Frustrated

You might be conflating the two refund processes. The standard support people are likely only empowered to offer specific amounts. The refund that the ACCC has ordered Optus to undertake will likely be a seperate conversation (letter?). 

Thanks for posting about the delay. Hopefully a number of other posters (including you) will now get offers for refund etc.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos