cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor DaveClarke_66
Occasional Contributor

Foxtel channel pixelation

Last September I switched from Optus cable to Optus NBN since then I have bad pixelation on ESPN, Be-In sports and Fox 8 to name a few.

both Foxtel & Optus keep passing the buck and so far Optus have point blank refused to send out an engineer when requested.

Yesterday I finally cracked an removed my Foxtel from the splitter that connects my set-top box & NBN modem and reconnected my set top box straight into the old Foxtel connection.

immedately the pixelated channels fixed themselves and returned back to the way they were before NBN was installed, the only problem is all the free to air & Freeview channels now don’t work.

is there any way I can return to the NBN connected configuration & get all channels without any pixelation on any channels. 

I have ave now proved that this is an Optus issue yet they still don’t want to know and I can only get one Be-In channel via Fetch which is of no use to me as I get a number of these channels via Foxtel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Re: Foxtel channel pixelation

Hmmm we would only be able to investigate your NBN as a network fault. Do you have any issues with other streaming services/web access? What kind of speeds are you getting? (Speed test here)

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Toomey,

i have had enough problems to not only have an active TIO complaint, a refusal to acccept Optus’s cop out of breaking my contract without penalty, as I want Optus sport for EPL and now escalated to the shadow communications minister in Federal parliament.

The issue is either the NBN install or Optus yet despite several requests for an engineer their Indian  call centre refuses to book an engineer and refuses to either transfer me to an onshore contact centre or give me details of how I can contact an onshore contact centre.

We constantly have streaming issues even at times such as 2am, 4am etc when the EPL is on. It can take up to half a day to download a 2Gb file and generally we can only have one device actively using the internet at a time otherwise it slows down to an extent it is unusable.

Funnily enough Optus state that the customer is of number 1 importance, that is either a very bad joke or a flat out lie!

Now I have proven that the fault doesn’t lie with my supplied equipment I shall chase Optus down until they both fix the issue & refund me the money I have paid for Foxtel subscriptions where I have been unable to watch it!

David

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Toomey
RetiredModerator

Thanks for the info David, were you able to run a speed test via the link I provided? What kind of results are you getting? It sounds like this will be the issue with your streaming.

Do you have any fault references from when you've previously got in touch? Feel free to send them to me in a private message so we can go through the notes together and discuss options.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Toomey,

Yes I have run plenty of speed tests and have had differing results from 4.08/1.06 up to 17.7/5.08 so I know at times it’s the NBN & congestion and so far Optus’s answer has been ‘it’s congestion, we don’t have a timeframe for a fix & if you aren’t happy you can leave’. I have refused this offer as I am with Optus for the EPL and nothing more.

My issue here is not streaming but the actual setup & use of a splitter by the Optus/NBN engineer which has rendered a host of Foxtel channels unwatchable due to pixelation. Now that I have removed my Foxtel box from the splitter and connected it to the old Foxtel cable I do not get any pixelation however I do not get any free to air or Freeview channels as these are delivered via the internet connection.

Optus has so far refused to come to the party & send an engineer out as I do not get my Foxtel via Optus even though I have now proven that the issue lies with the install and has done so since last September.

Hence my original question regarding any fixes for this or do I keep paying for a service I cannot receive due to Optus basically refusing to fulfil their contractual & moral obligations.

David

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@DaveClarke_66, I have the exact same configuration at home. I have the NTD (Arris modem) connected via a two-way coaxial splitter that also connects to my Foxtel. I haven't experienced any issues thus far (maybe I'm one of the lucky ones).

It's odd that you've mentioned that FTA channels don't work when plugged directly into the Foxtel wall plate. I don't see why this would be happening, if the aerial is plugged in, it should really work fine.

Is there any way you can get your hands on another splitter? They retail at roughly $10.00 +

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi DanC,

I have changed splitters, coax cable etc and still get the pixelation when using the setup as installed by NBN/Optus.

I moved to Optus NBN from Optus Cable and when I had that installed from fresh my Foxtel was delivered via the Telstra branded box in my Garage and a seperate coax connection for my cable internet.

When NBN was installed a new coax cable was run into my house from the Telstra branded box in my garage to the lounge room and the splitter was placed on this with the two coax cables attached, one for Foxtel & one for the NBN modem.

As far as I know my Foxtel has always been provided via my internet connection so no need for an external aerial as it comes down the coax.

Since the NBN install no ESPN, Be-In sports or Fox 8 to name a few but FTA all ok. It is only since putting it back to the original cable I have managed to effectively recover the pixelated channels however as the cable internet infrastructure has been retired I only get the actual Foxtel channels.

As the issue only started once NBN was installed and I have proven the Foxtel box is not faulty it has to be down to the install and how NBN/Foxtel is delivered via HFC, unfortunately the offshore Optus Tech(?) Support have taken the stance that I have to get Foxtel to fix it but Foxtel say there is no Foxtel problem. I have requested an engineer to attend site on a number of occasions which has been refused! 

I am quite frankly at my wits end, I have been forced into an inferior internet service which has resulted in a significant lowering of my Foxtel service yet I still have to pay full price for this. 

I guess this this is the new Australian way and I should be thankful for the privilege.

David

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Okay, I think an antenna is only required for customers going from a satellite Foxtel service to a Cable Foxtel service. Which Foxtel set top box are you using? Is it the IQ 3 or one of the previous generations? 

I've had a good look through the Foxtel community forums and this topic has sprung up quite a bit. The most common explanation seems to be signal interference. 

You're welcome to send your details via PM. I need your full name, DOB and account number. I can always refer you across to our NBN case management team for further investigation. Follow the URL below:

.http://yesopt.us/pmdan

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan_C,

I am using a previous generation to the IQ3 which is still going fine, also I am loath to upgrade as I have a number of current recordings I haven't gotten through yet as well as some historical ones I do not want to lose.

I also haven't upgraded to the IQ3 previously as Foxtel always wanted quite a hefty sum to do so and I couldn't understand why.

I have no doubt in my mind that the pixelation is being caused by interference of some description and unhooking it from my NBN splitter connection has, to me, proved this which is what I have been trying to impress upon the Tech Support in India.

The main problem I have had is that not one of the Optus stores I have gone into, nor the Indian call centre are willing to either connect me or give me details of how to connect to an onshore helpdesk. This is compounded by the fact that my issue seems to fall outside of the standard pre-scripted faults that India have been provided with so they do not know how to deal with this.

I actually had my call transferred to Optus Foxtel customer service the other day even though I was clear that I do not contract my Foxtel through Optus, fair play to the lady that answered as she was as nonplussed as I was as to why the tech support guy would do this.

I can PM my details through to you however not sure how this will help unless I am going to be contacted by an Australian based team that can both understand my issue and have the requisite authority to actually do something to fix it.

As I have stated before I have requested NBN and Optus engineers to attend site and this has been point blank refused in the past as they claim they cannot see an issue when they connect to my modem, thi sis despite not only the pixellation issues but countless issues when streaming Stan, Netflix and Fetch TV with the error codes relating to insufficient download speed to stream.

I will send my details in a PM and lets see what will happen but to my mind until a full Parliamentary enquiry is opened against the Telco's and their less than honest business prctices I cannot see a resolution in site.

Please do not take this as an attack on you as you are being helpful and I do appreciate it however having been given the runaround from Optus since install in September 2017 you will forgive my current level of cynicism Smiley Happy

David

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

It is funny ever since the last reply from Dan_C there has been nothing but silence! 

I was asked today today whether this had been resolved and it would be a resounding NO,

What I would counsel against, for anyone reading this post, is when requested by a moderator to PM them your details DONT.

This is the second time I have been requested to do this on this forum and each time as soon as you do complete silence.

Now I don’t know if they are harvesting your details in a database of complaints or if they want them to attempt identity theft but it does not appear to be for fixing your issue.

I will be reporting this fact directly to Optus as it seems a little fishy to me.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors