Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Fluctuating NBN wifi

My wifi has been fluctuating heavily for the last month.

It goes from full fan, then drops to 1 and 2 and the full again. I use an extender for my office and it constantly drops out due to the fluctuations. This si becoming unusable

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Fluctuating NBN wifi

First up is to work out what is actually going wrong.

Its likely the issue has nothing to do with the NBN. 

I'm not sure what you mean by 'fan'? Reception bars?

What equipment models do you have? What sort of extender?

Its most likely the issue is with the extender as these work to varying degrees. Can you test with the extender disabled for a day and just use the wifi in the main area? See if that is stable.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your response. I mean fan as reception bars. 1 minute it's at full range, and the next it drops to 1. I am sitting 2-3 metres away from the wifi router.

It's a sagecom 3864AC.

The extender is in another room but is not currently connected as it dropped the connection with the wifi signal; fluctuation. Its a netgear night extender. 

The internet is not stable out of the router.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You mean Nighthawk like this?

Your reception variation is a bit strange. You would normally expect to see the same number of bars in an in home setup as the connection between to two doesn't usually vary. The internet may come and go but the signal strength between the two devices would remain the same.

IMO you need to first narrow down your issue to the main modem. Extenders introduce a whole other level of things that can go wrong.What NBN type are you? FTTN? Cable? Perhaps request Optus check your line remotely (they can do that). They should have a record of every drop out (if that is what is happening)

It could also be you are linking to the wifi in the far room? Perhaps turn it off if that's possible?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Peter 

Yes that's the extender. It just can't get the WiFi signal like it used to.

As far as the optus modem goes, I have seen online that optus is doing maintenance on our lines in our area for 10 days although like you I was surprised the signal fluctuates so much. 

We are on NBN fixed cable. Used to be on optus cable which was far better 

I will call optus and ask to test the line.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Just finished with Optus tech support via online chat.

On their side, they see the modem working and all should be fine.

We changed the channel on the 2.4ghz band to see if that assists.

The signal is still not constant though so lets see

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

I would go to standard response for the AC modem and wifi. Do a hard reset for about 5 times and see if that will fix the problem. Also, is the wifi signal fluctuate on all wifi devices or just one? 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos