cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Finally after 2 years

Well after complaining for nearly 2 years about my NBN speeds it is now fixed. My speeds went from 22Mbps to around 4Mbps so I got on the phone again to ask why.

I was then told an NBN Tech woes booked in for between 8am and 12pm. He turned up at 7:45am. Then proceeded to do a heap of tests. He said something was not right and went of to change my connection to a different port on the node.

He came back a not happy chappie, he informed me that I was on a node that was 1.6km away. He said the maximum should be 800mtrs. So he gets on to the NBN and asks what’s going on, then he asks the NBN person on the phone to do a heap of tests.

while the tests are running I happened to mention that  a couple of months ago there was some work being done around the corner from my street. Then he asks the NBN if there has been a micro node installed in this street, and the answer is yes. So off he goes and hooks me up to it,comes back with a big grin on his face and tells me I should now get the full 50Mbps and 20Mbps. So the NBN bloke tells me it will take around 24 hrs to provision the new connection.  2hrs later I am up and running with speeds of 48Mbps and 19Mbps. 
I accessed the modem and saw these speeds: actual rate 60102 (Kbps) and 22600 (Kbps)

maximum rate: 118241 (Kbps) and 68244 (Kbps).

sorry for the long post,but after two years of rubbish speeds I thought I’d share the joy.

12 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Finally after 2 years

Hey @jeepers I'm glad to hear that you're currently enjoying your NBN speeds. Please feel free to reach out if you run into any other issues. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@jeepersWhy did it take two years to get resolved?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@jeepers wrote:

My speeds went from 22Mbps to around 4Mbps 

I should now get the full 50Mbps and 20Mbps.

So have you been paying for a 50/20 plan for 2 years and only getting a max of 22? If so, then you should be talking to Optus about getting a credit for the grossly under performing plan.

Highlighted

Hey @jeepers - Echoing what @YetAnotherAcc has mentioned, if the billing aspect has not been rectified, please message our team through the My Optus App and they can have this issue addressed for you. If for some reason you’re unable to use the My Optus app, please send a private message to the official Optus Facebook page or Twitter page for further assistance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I have been paying for 50/20 ever since I got the NBN. And the maximum speed I ever achieved was 22Mbps and 4Mbps. I have contacted optus numerous times during my tie on the NBN and was told that 22Mbps was all I could get.

l was complaining that often that optus has put on my account that I can leave with no penalty ( even though I Am on a month to month contract......which they dispute.) 

when I 1st went on the NBN optus had 3 NBN plans.100/50.......50/25......12/5. So I got the middle plan and never got anywhere near the 50/25. I think about a year later they scrapped the 3 tier plas and put everyone on a 50/20 and then added speed packs.

when I contacted optus regarding me paying for 50/25 and being able to achieve it,they told me that everyone is put on their 50/20... and I was not paying for something I was not getting. ( go figure ). So Steven-YC am I entitled to be compensated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

YetAnotherAccount...well I think so...but optus say no. ( the got rid of the 3 tier plans that I was paying for ).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@jeepers wrote:

when I 1st went on the NBN optus had 3 NBN plans.100/50.......50/25......12/5. So I got the middle plan and never got anywhere near the 50/25. I think about a year later they scrapped the 3 tier plas and put everyone on a 50/20 and then added speed packs.

So you should be entitle to compensations for that first year up until they scrapped the 12/5 plan. Give them one last chance to compensate you, and if they still refuse then tell them you'll complain to the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman, that will definitely get their attention.

EDIT: I assume you mean 25/5 not 12/5, correct?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Yes that was it 25/5
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@jeepersInstead of trying to deal with Optus over the phone or via myapp I would suggest making a formal complaint and in the complaint asking for compensation (refund/re-reimbursement)  for the time when you were paying for a product that Optus could not supply (If I remember this was one of the issues ACCC looked into a few years ago and I would advise looking it up as it will help with the complaint).

The formal complaint page is:

https://www.optus.com.au/support/feedback-and-complaints/make-a-complaint

Good luck with getting some money back (will be applied to your account as a credit).

0 Kudos