cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
New Contributor cahillmary
New Contributor

Finalise installation

You keep sending messages about why I haven't finalised my internet installation. NBN was here on 8/10 to install cable to my residence & new port. My Optus install is scheduled for 14/10 so I don't need multiple reminders to self-install the modem. Because cable & port install was required I was told I needed an Optus professional install, which is scheduled for 14/10.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Finalise installation

Its possible the 14/10 booking is not registered at Optus and they are expecting you to do a self install.

Out of interest do you now have a internal wall plug and a small NBN modem that plugs into it? Do you have the Optus router already delivered?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Thank you Peter. Optus is very aware of the professional installation appt on 14/10 - have received several email & SMS message reminders. The NBN appt was 'to check the line' according to Optus' explanation in store. The Optus appt (to be at least 3 days after NBN appt) was to 'install/extend cable, install new port/outlet, set up modem, ensure everything worked'. Well, NBN actually did all the work I was told Optus would do re new cable & new wall outlet.

Yes, I do have a new plug/outlet in wall & NBN connected their modem to that. Yes, I've already received the Optus modem/router via courier delivery.

I was confused about their messages because a professional install appt was already booked - I assumed Optus would be aware of the situation, esp the delay between NBN connection & final Optus modem set up (it's their process that requires Optus appt to follow NBN appt by 3 days). I was also told an 'Optus professional install' was 'required due to new cable & wall outlet installation'. It just seemed to be poor communication by Optus.

I was also told all charges would be on first bill - but I've already received my first mobile bill without all other charges. This bill covers less than one week yet I'm charged a full month - seems rather petty to charge a NEW customer for a few days considering I'm paying more than $300 for the entire installation, plan, etc. AND I came over to Optus from Telstra - PLUS I'm a disabled pensioner so every dollar spent is scrutinised. I think Optus should absorb the mobile fee (entire month) for the several days of mobile usage during the final week of Sept.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @cahillmary ,

Thanks for the full rundown. Its what I thought. There's actually no need for a professional install in most cases. NBN set up the wiring and mini modem and the "install" actually just needs to plug in the new modem and contact Optus to activate the line (if it isn't already). You can do that today if you want. Your existing Optus connection won't be touched so you can just:

1) Plug the new router in to the mini NBN modem (use the different coloured WAN port CAT5 cable)

2) Switch on and see what lights go on (Is the Internet Light Green?). 

3) Plug your PC into the new Optus router and boot it up.

4) Try going to address 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 in your browser - you should see the Optus login screen.

5) Is the internet up and running? Perhaps try run a SPEEDTEST?

6) You could also try the WIFI links. There should be stickers on the modem about the WIFI name and password. Theres a 5GHz WIFI (Fast) and 2.4GHz WIFI (Better range)

Anyway those are all things you can try right now. At any time you can just plug your PC back in the old Optus modem and wait for the professional install if you want.

If you don't get any internet on the new modem then you need to contact Optus (I recommend via the LIVECHAT option in the phone APP) and request an activation. They'll set that up and it should be fairly quick. Then you can try the above options again.

Depending on how you feel, if you get things all up and running you can still cancel the professional install and save yourself the extra money. However they do make sure your existing equipment (like the Fetch) is moved over to the new modem and if you don't feel comfortable with it then let the pro do it. But Its not hard (should mostly be automatic or just a quick change in the settings) and you can always post a query here or ask Optus to help you out.

----

On the Billing that should be easy to fix in a bit. Optus always charge a full month ahead for new connections. They will prorata any half months etc. so you should recieve credits on your next bill to cover gaps. It will look messy but in the end you shouldn't pay more than your standard monthly bill over the whole transition period. Something to talk to them once you have got the move settled and perhaps the second bill .

Peter Gillespie

PS What are the lights on th mini NBN box showing? 

New Contributor

Thank you Peter. You're responses were very helpful & instructions logical & easy to follow. But I still don't know why Optus required a 'professional install' because of the new cable/new wall outlet installation.
Top Contributors