Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Fibre to the Curb (FTTC) NB100

I am with Optus Cable now and need to switch to NBN in April. When I check with Telstra and find out the NBN is FTTC and NBN 100 is not available for my address. When I check with Optus and NBN 100 is available for my address. Optus told me that if I am on a 24 months contract, I have to live with it even the speed is not up to 80mbps or over.

Is anyone have the same situation?

Is it FTTC can't go  NBN 100 because of my address or Telstra?

Anyone reach 80 mbps with FTTC NB100?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Fibre to the Curb (FTTC) NB100

Hi, Ok so a few things going on here.

1) FTTC is the second best NBN technology (after pure fibre to the home. Its generally capable of 500Mbps speeds with ease. Lucky you!

2) All RSPs will provide around 80-90Mbps speeds on a NBN100 plan over FTTC. If you aren't getting about that then there is a fault on the line (which NBN will fix on request). At this stage switch over and see what you get - its 95% likely you'll be fine.

2) No you don't have to stay with Optus even if you are on a 24 month contract. Moving to the NBN requires you sign a new contract which they can't force you to do. The CIS terms say that you can either just get swapped over to the NBN by Optus and continue) or you can refuse and finish up with them within 90 days.

Changing the access method
We may change the access method for your service for the remainder of your minimum term and move you to:
• a new plan that is reasonably comparable with your current plan; or
• an alternative plan, but only if we take reasonable steps to address any detrimental impact that the change may have on you that is not minor.
If we change your access method, you must provide all reasonable assistance to enable the change to be implemented, including access to your premises and equipment. Unless otherwise agreed with you, we will not charge you for installing or equipment we supply to you to use with the changed access method. Alternatively, we may ask you to change your access method during your minimum term even if the change may have a detrimental impact on you that is more than minor. If you refuse our request, we may cancel the service by giving you at least 90 days’ notice. If the service is cancelled, you will be liable for charges incurred up to cancellation including any balance for devices purchased on Pay Over Time (POT), but you will not be liable for any cancellation fee or other outstanding equipment charges

3) Is April when NBN arrives or your internet is cut off? I would start migrating to the NBN now if it is available in your area.

4) If you stay or leave try move to a month to month contract (I think that's all Optus does now). The NBN means we are all free to move RSPs anytime and can head to better deals or service as they are needed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@kievnut wrote:

When I check with Telstra and find out the NBN is FTTC and NBN 100 is not available for my address.

Don't know why Telstra would say that for an FTTC connection.

Optus told me that if I am on a 24 months contract, I have to live with it even the speed is not up to 80mbps or over.

When you first get NBN 100 activated, and if they can't deliver close to typical or evening speeds, you can complain and will basically get 3 options:

1)  They will investigate and see if is something that can be fixed.

2) Tell you your out of luck and they can not deliver typical evening speeds. If you accept NBN 100 now, they can't guarantee anything better.

3) You can leave without penalty. Although this most probably really only applies during the first month of your contract if you started out with NBN 100 straight away/first month. This is because the speeds packs are not locked into the length of the contract and can be added/dropped on a month to month basis, and if you came to Optus specifically because they offered NBN 100 and they could not deliver, then you should be able to leave without penalty.

Anyone reach 80 mbps with FTTC NB100?

Thanks.

My typical FTTC speeds are a fairly stable 95/37.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

When I check with Optus and NBN 100 is available for my address.

How do you quote people @YetAnotherAcc ?

Just a note that for FTTN NBN connections the max speed you get varies between 12 and 90 Mbps - about 50% of FTTN customers can get something over 50Mbps (thanks Government)

The ACCC jumped all over the Telcos last year for not making this clear so now some like Telstra will not say you can get 100Mbps before they test the line. It should only be for FTTN connections but some CS staff still don't know that and just won't 'promise' 100Mbps even though that's what you can expect. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:

How do you quote people @YetAnotherAcc ?

Two step process: 

1)

q1.png

2)

q2.png

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@YetAnotherAcc wrote:

Two step process: 

Ta 🐵