cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

wobbie11
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Fiber to Curb Issues

Ok Optus lets see how smoothly you can resolve my new NBN fiber to curb issue!

SO I have fiber to curb but the NBN drops out intermittently. Luckilly I still have my coaxial connection up and running and can swap the modem over when this happens and continue on. So the tech in the house is aok. My guess is 1. the copper that runs from my house to the pit on the street has a weakness or 2. NBN is crap and can't handle all the new streaming or 3. As they connect up new properties in the street the fibers joins for each are comprimised as I'm sure they work in series.

The bigger question is how many phone calls will I need to have this resolved? I'm exhausted already!

Cheers Robbie

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
wobbie11
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Fiber to Curb Issues

Update.

Long online chat. The usual rstart your Modem and NBN box and back to the problem. I've requested they send me another modem so that I can leave the NBN connected and still use the cable. This way I'm hoping they are able to build a solid report of the dropouts. The main struggle is that for Optus to get anothing moving with NBN they have to go through a procedure of the restarts and then submit a report to NBN. NBN I'm guessing get online and see you have a connection and close the report BUT the issue is stability NOT connection. I'll keep you updated.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

On the surface the issue would seem to be the FTTC install. 

The NBN (and FTTC) should be able to easily handle all the streaming. But it doesn't sound like you have a congestion issue with drop outs. These days all ISPs are now using the same pipes to your home (FTTC) and all must contact NBN on your behalf to sort issues with those pipes. One differentiator going forward is how well your ISP does this. So far IMO Optus is not working well with NBNCo to facilitate resolving issues. Try the modem but I'd suggest a NBN tech needs to double check your FTTC street connection.

You could also possibly simplify your internal wiring. Do you have lots of phone outlets in the home. This might cause issues.

As you still have Optus cable you caould also try another month to month ISP on your NBN connection to a) see if that fixes the dropouts or b) see if they have better service with NBNCo

Peter Gillespie

wobbie11
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So updating again. It has been a long journey so far and with no resolve. I had to up the anti and get the ombusman involved just to get OPTUS to work up a notch on this and not keep going through the same cycle. I almost quite them but decided with a small $$ incentive to follow this through and see where it can lead and hopefully help others. Sooooo at this point I have 2 modems running. One for the original ADSL setup and one for the new NBN. This way there is a continuous NBN/Modem setup (With 50 dropouts logged a day) and a stable ADSL so the kids don't kill me. I've learnt a few things through the process. The reason why OPTUS need you to switch your modem off and on is that it restarts their log and they can start a new record plus off course allowing them to test this is not the issue. Also I've learnt that OPTUS are perfectly capable of logging all the faults with my service, dropouts etc from their end and don't really need me to keep track of this. 

Really what is going on here is I probably have a faulty copper cable in my home (thanks for advice re this and other phones!!). When NBN dial in to check the loopback of course it works but this short test doesn't pick up the dropouts. Your possibly wondering what is wrong with having dropouts. Well when it drops out I have to switch the NBN box off and on every time! So the big issue is for OPTUS to convince NBN that their is a fault and send a tech out and to do this they have to prove without a doubt that it isn't anything at their end. 

Later this week I have an OPTUS tech coming over to check my gear is all hooked up right and then we can pregress to the NBN tech who will undoubtedly find a faut in the cable....wait and see here.

If it is a fault in the cable I WILL BE WRITING TO THE OMBUSMEN and requesting that there be a better way for these companies to communitcate and sort faults without the need for customers to go through this incredible amount of effort and stress. I am someone that has a fair grasp of tech and I have found this whole experiencing bewildering, stressful, time cusuming and ultimatly unnessassary if they would only test their setups throughly at the beginning.

Hopefull the next post I have good news. Cheers

0 Kudos
wobbie11
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much Peter for responding. Only one copper connection in the house and certainly I wouldn't trust it for reliablity here.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It is a process. I agree that it could be much improved but in fairness the Telco industry behind the scenes seems to be a mess. The main reason the NBNCo was bought in was to try update it a bit. IMO there's a strong case to be made that the old incumbant dinosaurs are not moving fast enough. Shackled with past choices, equipment and desicions they suddenly find their size and technology completely irrelevant. Every Telco from 100 customers to 1 million now has direct access to every NBN home. Some are moving fast to take the opportunity.

Keep us updated.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
wobbie11
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I think understanding where the fairness lies is the key question here. In fairness I feel the customers are having to handle the logostics of working out problems that are either TELCO or NBN. The underlying issue is that NBN is compromised and the 'work arounds' to save money or "digging up front yards" is that NBN are attempting to unite old tech (copper cables) with new tech. At least in my situation. Instead of sending a box to you and asking you to plug into an old phone line tht hasn't been used in years there should have been an additional step in which NBN test your copper connection to fiber thouroughly to determine if it is capable of a stable conection. It's a classic situation of a highspeed train running to the edge of town and then being forced to dealy with older school rail networks with their quirks and faults. This is nothing against the theory that copper can handle the speeds. This is an issue that many of these hookups are to houses that have copper wiring dating back 40 odd years and there is a huge trust that everything from the pit to the inside of the house is aok. Who determines this, well NBN as they own it now! So yes there is a level playing feild in  sense out there with all the old and new players but the real key here is who has the power to convicnce the NBN service department to follow through and fix their faults which is why I would be analysing how has the most power in dealing with NBN and this at the moment is hard to determine because even a large company like OPTUS are getting pushbacks and handballed!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Definitely the customer is placed (unreasonably) with the burden of fixing these Telco issues. Optus are also at the mercy of NBNCo in many ways. However Optus to strong a hit rate of people complaining here about hours spent trying to resolve many different areas not NBN related (simple things like ongoing billing mistakes, return satchels or modems not arriving, discounts not arriving, etc.)

I agree that effective interaction with the NBNCo is a defnite criteria in choosing an RSP. Optus themselves identified this some time ago and announced they were implimenting a transparent end to end process where customers could track NBN order from wo to go (still waiting for that one btw). At this stage IMO a Telcos primary responsibility is acting as the go between between us and NBNCo. Its not good enough IMO to just say its NBNCo's fault, sorry. Out contracts on performance are with Optus not the NBNCo. 

Hopefully Optus perservere and provide ongoing updates and your problem is resolved - once done it should hopefully just be 100Mbps without any further issue.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
wobbie11
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Update.

Ok so the update now is looking good. Optus sent a tech around to check the basic gear but found the connection point (Copper cable plu from the 1980's) was menat to be replaced by NBN. He also went under the house and changed a terminal connection point there. He seems to think that these are situations that NBN are meant to chaech as part of the connection process? The dropouts have improved and I'm waiting to see after a week what report OPTUS come back with re their log reports.

Key suggestions:

1. If you are getting a new connection, fiber to curb and you have access to the NBN tech instruct them to replace all connection points to the house and test the line before they walk off.

2. As the TELCO will just send you an NBN box and say to connect it to your old wall socket you need to request that the wall socket is the original one and hasn't been updated for NBN. SO SEND A TECH.

3. Don't hesitate to contact the Ombudsman if there is the slightest feeling that things are going wrong way as this will amplify your concern and the TELCO will bring in the bigger players to see your case through. 

4. When talking with a rep understand they are just looking at the basic information of your service on the screen. If you ask them to check the log reports of your line (If it is actually working) this will give them an idea of why you are actually calling. ie "So your line is working now" Me "Are no! Please look at your latest log reports." Them, "Oh I see your getting 50 dropouts a day"....

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
wobbie11
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Last post re this issue as all is now resolved. Yes it was the connection points in the house. No dropouts reported!!!! Hopefully I won’t have to write on this forum again. Hopefully this journey helps someone else. Cheers

Top Contributors