Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Losa
New Contributor
New Contributor

Fetch and NBN

It’s almost a year since we’ve been connected with Optus Wifi+Fetch and we’ve had issues since. I’m about to contact them to disconnect with them soon, this is ridiculous. 

So we received a letter near the end of July, if we do not contact Optus to change from Wifi to NBN by the 1st August 2019 they will be forced to disconnect our Wifi connection and we will have to pay the rest of our contract. So we did just that. 2-3 weeks later and still nothing was done. So we contacted them again and finally we’re connected to NBN. 

The technician tells my parents (that we’re at home whilst waiting between the 9am-12pm) that it’s not his job to disconnect our old wifi modem and to connect the NBN to our fetch box. Are you kidding me!?. What ridiculous service!!! Well what is his job then? If it were something that we could do, then why send the technician in the first place. 

So so I saying all of that, what is the bloody procedure to connect the NBN to the fetch box.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Fetch and NBN

Its a little surprising you got kicked off Optus Wifi? You mean Wireless Broadband using the 4G network? The Telcos have to shut their land based internet services down but not wireless. That said your NBN connection should be much more reliable and posssibly cheaper for the data. 

Note the technician is correct. He's from NBN and his job is to get the little modem setup in your home and confirm its working. After that you need to deal with Optus for instructions and help. I'd suggest you jump on live chat (or go through the mobile phone app contact option) and have them talk you through the setup. It shouldn't be hard. You have an Optus modem already setup and plugged in I suppose? Generally you'd just go to the Fetch settings and set up wireless mode.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Losa
New Contributor
New Contributor

I don’t know, they called it Wifi+Fetch. 

Well whoever we spoke to on the phone to change over to NBN didn’t notify us that there is a different tech coming out to connect NBN and we have to do it ourselves to connect the NBN to our fetch box. If we were advised told that, we would’ve done that in the first place. All they said was, “we will be sending a text when the tech will be arriving to connect the NBN for you” nothing more. 

Thankfully, I eventually had time to look at it and yes, it was very simple to disconnect our old Wifi Modem and connect the NBN to our fetch box, but what if I was an elderly lady/someone that doesn’t speak English very well, how would I have to figure this out? My parents are elderly and barely understand nowadays technology and was expecting the tech to do everything, not knowing you have to contact Optus to connect something else.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That sounds like Mobile Broadband.

So you have the NBN box connected only to the Fetch Box? Or to another Optus modem and then to the Fetch Box?

I agree Optus really don't do NBN transitions well. From being fined for misleading customers, pressure sales tactics, kicking customers off after just 3 months, over charging, to lack of communication and most of all a labrynth of frustration if it doesn't go smoothly and you need to get them to sort an issue. They've recognised some of this and have put in place a 'concierge' process but it seems that still has a fair way to go.

I'm glad you got it sorted though and hopefully the feed back will be one more prompt for improving the process.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Eagle59
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

WE have just have had NBN connected LOTS of problems before this but will not bore you..

The TELEPHONE works ok

The PC connection works ok but the WIRED FETCH tv via power modems DOES NOT.

OPTUS says they have to DO something at their end - WHAT I do not ?? but we get a big Internet not working msssage on the FETCH. Have restarted fetch many times. (have contacted OPTUS waiting on their "fix") anybody else gone to NBN and had this issue where ths FETCH box has NO internet?

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

If the PC is working ok then the NBN is working ok. 

There is nothing Optus can do on their end if its working ok.

You mention power adapters. These can be the issue. First try connect the Fetch via wifi or plug it directly into the modem via a cable. (As a test). See what happens.

Peter Gillespie