Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
alvaro777666
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Fear of NBN

Hi,

I have just received a letter threatening to connect me to the NBN.

I have been with Optus Cable for a long time and I am happy with it.

After hearing so many NBN horror stories, I am worried about the changeover.

What can I do to stay with Cable as long as possible and minimise the problems of switching to NBN?

Thanks,

Al

0 Kudos
5 Replies
interfreak
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Fear of NBN

Eventually, you'll have no choice but to switch to the NBN as older services are switched off.

There are horror stories out there, but more so on FTTN connections. HFC (cable) connections had their issues as well, but NBN have apparently worked hard on resolving these over the last 12-18 months.

Don't be fearful of switching. I would just bite the bullet and do it, and if there are any issues contact Optus to sort them out.

petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Al,

I understand completely the worry. The good news is its not quite as bad as you'd think and in fact you do get some major benefitsfrom joining the NBN. The advantages however are not quite as much as most of the nation as you have been lucky enough to have access for high speed broadband for many years. The NBN is about spreading that speed to everyone else in the nation who is still stuck on 12Mbps or less (which is the lowest possible speed to buy on the NBN) 

First up to answer your question, you can't delay the transition. With Optus cable customers the timeline is actually very tight. All other households transfering to the NBN would have 18 months from arrival in the suburb to transition. Optus Cable users generally only have three months. This is because Optus has decided to shut there network down fast after the NBN alternative arrives. So you will have three months.

On the plus side, one of the biggest benefits of the NBN is choice. It used to be if you wanted cable internet you chose between Optus and Telstra. Now any ISP can provide high speed broadband to your home and there are a lot of good deals out there (Optus among them). You may be on contract still, but as it is Optus who are shutting down their network (i.e. cancelling the contract) you are free to select them or another provider without penalty.

As to the NBN itself, yes it has teething issues (its a huge project) but as you now join a lot of those have been sorted. Most ISPs (including Optus) didn't buy enough bandwidth from NBNCo to provide their customers the speeds promised (i.e. the dreaded peak hour slowdown). This has largely been stopped after intervention from the ACCC. All ISPs now publish expectewd peak hour speeds (Usually ~75% of the off peak plan speeds). Most ISPs (including Optus) spruiked bad "unlimited" 12Mbps plans but again most users are now picking the sweet spot 50Mbps plans that would suit the majority of internet households.  The FTTN technology has hit (widely predicted) issues and many homes can't get more than 50Mbps however as you are on cable that's not your problem. The NBN HFC rollout has also hit a hurdle (causing a rollout puase for 9 months as NBNCo got back on top of that). They appear to have and you should generally expect 100Mbps speeds on any NBN cable plan.

Finally as a quick list of spome of the benefits of the NBN:

1) Upload speeds now 40Mbps (great for dropbox / cloud computing)

2) ISP choice (pick an ISP, any ISP)

3) Ubiquity - Everyone now has (or soon will) have access to 100Mbps - suddenly websites and services are gearing up to take advantage of 100Mbps instead of assuming the lowest common denominator speeds.

4) Future Proofing. Although not FTTP the current NBN does allow for some expansion and for HFC the NBNCo is already installing 1000Mbps capable technology.

IMO though decide if you want to stick with OPtus and it will be the easiest way to swap over. If not the its still very straight forward but I'd also highly recommend going an RSP that offers true month to month plans. That way if you are not happy switch to another (or back to Optus) any time you want.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

Panda157
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I too fear NBN. Optus migrated me to NBN without my permission and they changed my home phone number as well. They had to restore my service and I am now back to cable getting 100mbs.

I want to keep the cable internet as long as I can but can you tell me when Optus will force me to the NBN. I know my street is NBN ready

0 Kudos
SteveGee
Contributor
Contributor

Go with a company that will talk to you and resolve problems.

I was loyal to optus due to mobile phone service but sadly the pointy end of nbn is not optus .

I have after five weeks if complaining been told we dont guarantee any speeds.

If you have a wifi congestion problem you will probably have to solve it

so my advice as a loyal optus customer trapped now for two years is DONT

Try aussie or some one else cos these pages will tell you what you fear.

I am qualified engineer running a tv site and they have totally spun me out.

white modem black modem too higher expectations  what a total waste of time even talking to them for past four weeks.

dont forget your name dob and id you will be asked about fifty times.  

Steve Gregory
0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

HI @Panda157,

What street and postcode are you in?

What you're describing sounds a bit strange. Transferring to the NBN requires a whole new contract so getting accidentally migrated is not usual. Getting migrated back is even more so (until recently it was illegal to reconnect customers to the old network once an area was NBN ready. Did you actually have working NBN at one point?

Are you sure you are not actually still on the NBN? From Optus point of view the NBN and non NBN plans tend to look the same.

FWIW Optus are aggressively shutting down their cable network at the first possibility. This is done on an area basis, not a household basis so they won't keep it running just for you. Generally you have three months from being RTC.

What NBN technology is in your street? 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos