cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Faulty F@ST3864AC modem-router

The 3864 is only fit for purpose if you have or require a landline. I suspect that, if you don't, there are many superior modem-routers that are better suited to the NBN. The 3864 is probably an adequate ADSL2+ device.

Reading between the lines results in the impression that Optus are attempting to clear the warehouse of the wireless-N 3864s (the white ones). My problem is that I have all wireless-AC devices, including the Fetch TV Mighty, connected to my AC version and now have an Ethernet printer that I cannot connect to the 3864AC because its (the 3864's) Ethernet ports are dead. The 3864OP, that was provided as a replacement, is totally and utterly unacceptable.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Deleted - previous post corrected.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor qprsludger
Occasional Contributor

As I posted earlier I have reinstalled my iinet router

The thing needed no password it connected straight away AND the voip works
I have had no drop oouts as described earlier and the speeds are great

The saggybum routers are NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Newline, if your original device was the 3864ac then I would push Optus to replace it with the ac model. That is your original contract with them, I would also push for some kind of credit for not providing the product as promised, isn't there some consumer laws about that?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Oh no, I am reading so many bad experiences with the sagem mode, mine only one week old, hope it last. That impressive that the iiNet modem just works, especially the VoIP.  Just a matter of interest, are the ip range for both modems the same? Is Optus replacing your sagem modem?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor qprsludger
Occasional Contributor

I dont know about the ip range

To be fair I dont want another Optus modem I've already got two black ones and a white one that are not fit for purpose

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Fair enough, that's a lot of modems. Since you have a solution that works, but is bad that the supplied device is not able to deliver. 

Newline: did you ever got your printer connected? Another option is get one of those printer with build in wifi. I have one of those brother printer few years ago and it works great over wifi.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Problem solved; and, I'm embarassed. The 3864AC is OK - the LAN ports are operational. Owing to the layout of my network devices, I was using a single device - a notebook PC - as it was my only portable device that could be connected to the 3864. The notebook came with Windows 7 and, of course, it was subsequently upgraded to Windows 10. My best guess is that the NIC driver for the notebook is incompatible with Win 10; its wifi card works fine.

Question for a moderator: I received a 3864OP after my initial complain. Its only use for me is as doorstop. How can I return it; it's still in a sealed carton. Local Optus shop?

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Glad to hear that you've got it sorted. Dam windows 10, who would thought Microsoft could stuff up the driver.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

The issue with my notebook is, apparently, common. It affects several interfaces, not just LAN. There are many reports of the issue. The M$ response has been underwhelming. Common reason is upgrade of Win7 to Win10. Fortunately, my notebook is not my primary connection, and its wireless works fine.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors