Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Faulty F@ST3864AC modem-router

Been with Optus for around 20 years. Switched from ADSL to FTTN NBN in October 2016. Received a F@ST3864AC device and Fetch Mighty. Location of phone outlets dictated that everything needed to be connected wirelessly; did so and everything has been working flawlessly - no complains. However, have never been able to connect to LAN ports of the device: tried several times since October without result. So, need to to do so, so contacted live chat today to determine if Optus would replace what is definitely a faulty device. The result was absolutely hopeless - name was Robert and English appeared to be the second language.

If I connect PC wirelessly to 3864AC, get IP address and Internet connection. If I conect PC by Optus-supplied cable to any LAN port of the 3864AC, I get no IP address and no Internet connection. If I connect PC by same (Optus) cable to my old ADSL routers, I get an IP address. Dittto to all the above with any other cable.

All I want is replacement of a faulty device which, I assume, was covered by warranty. Not according to Robert. Lesson learned - live chat sux. My next step is TIO, after phoning Optus to see if I can get a more literate response to my initial request.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Re: Faulty F@ST3864AC modem-router

Hey there @newline, if your modem is faulty we would absolutely organise a replacement for you! Can you please PM me with your account number, full name and DOB? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Done. Thanks for quick response.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Made a huge mistake in closing and giving kudos. Early replies were encouraging but latest are asking for personal details for which I am unwilling to disclose. Present opinion - Optus is no help for genuine problems. Go elsewhere.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Have to apologise. My frustration should have been directed at the bureaucrats at NBNCo rather than the good moderators trying to assist in resolving (my) issues. Optus has a poor reputation in forums such as this one and whingepool. Optus needs to hire a better PR person than whatever they use at present; perhaps they don't care.

Lessons learned: live chat is totally and absolutely f.....g useless, phone calls are a waste of my and your time (after waiting, resolution is by chance); visiting your local Optus retailer has random a success rate (they are mostly interested in getting you to sign up for maximum dollars - for them).

Moderators in this forum are largely succesful in resolving issues, thankfully.

I am on FTTN (thankfully close to the node) in rural NSW with immaculate service, apart from a dud Sagemcom 3864AC (Ethernet ports - wirelessly it has been fantastic). I am becoming more and more convinced that a lot of complains against RSPs (Optus et al) and NBN speeds are the result of two issues - NBNCo (FTTN distance) and wifi (congested locations, sub-standard routers). I am happy to blame our PM and his (ex-Optus) buddy for the mess that is the MTM.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

I tried and appear to have failed. My 3864AC modem has been flawless (WiFi) but its LAN/Ethernet ports are unusable. I now wish to connect a LAN printer to one of the LAN ports. Hence, my original post.

Thanks to a good moderator, I was promptly sent a replacement modem; great service. Problem is that the replacement modem is a F@ST 3864OP NBN. The delivery note also states that it is an NBN FTTP gateway. I suspected that it wasn't a replacement for my AC modem which was provided for my 'deluxe' NBN contract/account. The defective device was provided in October 2016 and, I assume, should be covered by warranty. I advised the said moderator about the replacement and have been greeted by silence.

All I want is a one-for-one replacement of a defective device and one that is fit-for-purpose. I doubt that the OP modem is either. The 'replacement' remains in its sealed carton and will do until I get a believable explanation of all the above or I request out. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

PS: Forgot to mention that I'm on FTTN (and not FTTP).

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor qprsludger
Occasional Contributor

I am on my third router in as many months

The third one they sent me is one of the old white single band routers.

This seemed to work okay for a few days but I am back to resettting the router 3 or 4 times a day to connect all my devices.

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Sounds like you are in a string of bad luck. Maybe the devices was damaged in transit, the delivery truck keeps on running over the same pot hole each time. Strange that your latest replacement works for a few days then having problems. Is there any device on your network that has static IP address that could cause a conflict? Maybe try to connect one device at a time and see which one breaks the modem/router, 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor qprsludger
Occasional Contributor

Not bad luck or static ips at all just bad routers

Read all the threads re these routers

I have replaced mine and have not had to reset the router once.

Had NBN with iinet previously and had no problems

THESE ROUTERS ARE NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE

0 Kudos