Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
zingerina
Contributor
Contributor

FTTP provided by other ISP

I'm considering a move to an estate which has FTTP and is totally serviced by one ISP (one I'm not particularly fond of).

The FTTP NTD is in the garage and they have their own device (won't tell me what it is) connected to it which then connects via three of the LAN ports to three data points in the unit.

Theoretically, if I remove their device and plug in my existing Sagemcom modem, would I be able to continue to use Optus as my ISP after advising of a change of address.

Would I be able to keep my existing landline phone number?

Thanks in advance

Mick

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Kyri_YC

Re: FTTP provided by other ISP

Hey there @zingerina. When organising the re-location of your Optus service, you will be able to have your existing landline number moved across with you as well. I recommend checking out our Relocations page to find some more information on this matter and you can also look to start the process from there via our webform.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

What you are describing doesn't sound like its NBN FTTP. If its not, and they exclucivity with another ISP then I don't see how you can keep Optus.

0 Kudos
zingerina
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that.

I'll have a closer look at what I thought was an NBN NTD.

Haven't had any luck in using NBNCO address checker.

0 Kudos
AndS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

@zingerinaAsk the real estate agent that is advertising the property who the ISP is for the estate.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"would I be able to continue to use Optus as my ISP after advising of a change of address."

No. For new estates the developer often enters into a side deal with a internet provider. In return for essentially a kickback the RSP gets exclusive control over the internet (and also what they charge). The only way to get another provider in is via say Optus 4G or 5G home internet.

As for the landline. This is probably transferable but I'd suggest you take the opportunity to ditch the landline as modern communications don't need it and its usually just limits options and raises costs these days.
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@petergdownload wrote:
For new estates the developer often enters into a side deal with a internet provider. 

That should only be true if the developer is supplying the last mile (either by themselves or via the like of Velocity or Opticomm etc.). 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors