Searching...
Highlighted

FTTN - unreliable service

Davo19

Hi Team

I have moved to NBN but the only available option was FTTN.

Since I went on this service, it is far worst than my previous adsl2+ in terms of the number of dropouts occuring in a day (3) and download rate. With my previous service, I had no dropout and the download rate was as expected. Since the FTTN service can only do 60/30 Mbps at the moment, I went on the 50/20 speed tier. At times the download rate is around 3M - 5M as opposed to assumed 45 M - 55 M. The download rate is never consistent and it can be so slow for even a small video (60 MB) taking more than 10 mins to complete.

The only thing that the operators know is to reset the modem.

The first time I had some dropouts occurring during the day, the operator created an incident and escalated to an engineer.

I received a call from the operator telling me that it is synchronisation issue between NBN and Optus. Some days later, I received a call telling me that all is fixed and receive confirmation that no more issue at the node.  Today, dropouts happened again.

Is there a map covering NBN issue?

Re: FTTN - unreliable service

AlexRH

Hey there @Davo19, I'm really sorry that your service hasn't been running as it should be Smiley Sad 

It sounds like it would either be an issue with your modem or the line itself, we'd need to isolate though, did you have a fault ref # there that we can follow up on? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Davo19

@AlexRH I'm currently waiting for an update from the case manager Ref #15812394

AlexRH

Thanks for sending that through, I can see that your modem is offline right now, you're modem is also frequently losing connection with us Smiley Sad 

Our Case Management team till be in touch to go over this with you further, can you please confirm if you've switched your modem off or you've lost connection? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Davo19

@AlexRH Alright. The modem is switched off as a recommendation from the technical support team to save power and turn on when needed.

joneda1

Modems (even those as crappy as the Sagemcom) rarely fail, don't let Optus lead you down this path for days on end. Unreliable service on FTTN is usually either cable issues or congestion and you can generally eliminate congestion based on time of day.

Optus techs are generally just following prompt screens and swapping the modem seems to be the first line of responce from their NBN masters (who actually own the infrastructure). NBN owns 99% of the system up to the POI so 99% of the time the fault should be in the NBN infrastructure.

[ Edited ]
Davo19

@AlexRH  After my last chat with case manager (Manisha), it's been more than a week that I should be getting a call back from her or another case manager but so far nothing. During that time, I experienced 4 drop outs on different days and time.The download rate is really poor. I wonder whether in my area, there is congestion and lack of CVC capacity due to new customers getting on the service and underestimation of CVC capacity from Optus.

Another thing is when doing a speed test using optus link, what is the size of the data being uploaded and downloaded?

As suggested by joneda1, NBN is responsible up to the POI, thus it is Optus fault if user cannot get the service as promised by Optus. Please Optus upgrade your network capacity and get x1000000 more cvc capacity from NBN.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
101 Kudos
63 Kudos
26 Kudos
25 Kudos
18 Kudos