Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
KRM
New Contributor
New Contributor

FTTN Compatible Modems -- Optus Modem Dispatched

Hey, everyone. Apologies if this type of question has been posted here before. 

After a few weeks of pain trying to get my service active with actual updates, I was told last night that my service is good to go. However, it's taken Optus close to 3 weeks to even dispatch my modem and I was just told via online chat that it may take 4 - 7 business days for it to arrive. When attempting to get my TP-Link TD-WD8980 Modem Router connected with tech support last night, I was told that this may not be compatible with Optus NBN and told to either wait until the supplied modem arrives.

Is it true that I may need to use the Optus modem when setting up for the first time on FTTN as I read early in another post? If I'm not happy with the performance of the Optus supplied modem, am I able to swap back out to either my TP-Link or another modem router of my choosing? I have no interest in using landline services. 

Thanks a lot, guys. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: FTTN Compatible Modems -- Optus Modem Dispatched

I can't speak to your model but many other modems work with the NBN router. It needs to have a seperate WAN ethernet plug in the back. It also needs to handle VDSL2 usually.

Here's a NBN setup guide for a similar model.

Actually this seems a better guide for your specific model.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

it's true that you need the Optus supplied modem for your first connection unfortunately "You must plug your Optus supplied modem in first to activate your new connection, once your service is activated and working, then you can swap the connection over to your own device."

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/Can-I-use-my-BYO-MODEM-on-the-NBN/ta-p/202224

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
KRM
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks a lot for the info! 

Once this has been setup, do any third party modem routers work with Optus FTTN or just a select few? I'm just anticipating not being happy with the supplied modem and thinking ahead for alternatives. 

0 Kudos
SamSam
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

They have to be NBN compatible, specifically FTTN which I'm sure Peter can confirm but is called VDSL for most modems. Otherwise, you can use any as long as you're happy going without the landline which you already said you were

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
newline
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

0 Kudos