cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor kgp
Occasional Contributor

FTTC: No existing Telstra lead-in

My area is due to switch to NBN in about 18 months.

The technology will be FTTC.

This uses the exisiting Telstra drop-cables/ lead-ins.

My house is not currently serviced by an Telstra copper.

Who is responsible for deploying the new lead-in, and what is the administrative process.

When asked these questions, NBNCO says I must talk to Optus.

11 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: FTTC: No existing Telstra lead-in

NBNCo will install the lead in.

However you have to go through an RSP (Optus) when dealing with the NBN. Its possibly NBNCo will arrange to install the conduit as part of their general rollout process. However much more likely your suburb will go NBN Ready in 18 months and then you call Optus and request to be connected. Optus will arrange NBN to comeout and finish the install - you will be given an appointment date (it may happen immeadiately or there may be a delay of a month or two before they come out). I believe the install should be free however NBNCo can charge up to $250 (no more) for difficult installs etc. (but again its almost certain to be free.)

In a nutshell you don't need to do anything except contact Optus when your area goes NBN READY (You'll get plenty of letters about it when it happens) 

Note if possible, be on a month to month plan (current contract done) when the NBN rolls around to give you maximum flexibility of who you choose as a provider (i.e. you could request any RSP to initiate the NBN install)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Thanks.

Given my area has airial drop cables.

Will a new drop cable be installed or do they have to go under ground like new power installs?

Do you know where the demarc point is (How far into my house will run the cable)?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Can't say sorry. Essentially the choice is up to NBN when they pop into your area. 

You'll have some say on the install point on your house but its up to the tech to decide what they'll do on the day.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

According to your posts in another thread, you are presently on Optus cable. If there is Telstra cable in your street, you will be connected to that; Telstra cable becomes NBN cable.

For FTTC, you may be looking at a complex situation. Normally, Telstra copper is connected to a 'box' on an external wall of your house. You are then responsible for connecting that box to phone outlet(s) inside the house. If you don't have Telstra copper connected and/or you don't have existing wiring/phone outlets, you may have to pay for the necessary work. I recommend that you contact Optus to clarify your situation (assuming that you are an existing Optus customer).

Occasional Contributor

Thanks

No Telstra cable here.

It will be FTTC.

Do you know the best way to contact someone who knows what they talking about at Optus?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Might be hard to find someone at Optus as the entire installation will be handled by the NBN.

It might be an option to ring Telstra and request a landline be installed at your house now? That way when the FTTC hits you've got everything good to go.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Write to them. No point if you are not RFS.

Peter's suggestion is VG and star. Get in early - request copper from T$.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

By chance, Telstra cable isn't underground in your area?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

No chance at all.

There is no Telstra HFC, and Telstra twisted pair is aerial drop cable.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors