Searching...

F@ST3864V3AC What AC Speeds are this modem?

[ Edited ]
aaseymour

I am about to connect to the NBN, and want to know what speeds this modem that will be supplied with is.

Is it a decent modem?

Is it fast nough for a modern household?

How old is the technology inside theF@ST3864V3AC modem?

Is it an

802.11 AC 4000

802.11 AC 3200

802.11 AC 2600

802.11 AC 2300

802.11 AC 1600

802.11 AC 1200

802.11 AC 1000

802.11 AC 750

I can not find any specs for this device the F@ST3864V3AC

Re: F@ST3864V3AC What AC Speeds are this modem?

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

There are limited specs on the links below (might be a different model)  and by all reports the modem will do the job but does lack WiFi range. If you search Optus and F@ST3864V3AC on Google you will see many comments about this modem.

http://devicehelp.optus.com.au/sagemcom/gateway-f-st-3864-windows-10/

http://devicehelp.optus.com.au/sagemcom/f-st-3864ac-windows-10/

[ Edited ]
newline

It's 1200/1300. That is for the 3864AC (V3). It's a bog-standard, low-cost consumer product. Technology age is irrelevant.

BTW: Depending on your method of connection to the NBN, any compatible modem/router will do - if you don't require an Optus VOIP line (home phone).

petergdownload

Suggest you try it and find out. Wifi performance is different in every household.

Generally AC is plenty fast enough for most household use. Streaming Netflix, Surfing the net, multiple users, printing, etc.

Its only really if you want to transfer large files around that extra speed is needed. In general the speed is much less important than reception to all rooms. Check it out and if not good enough get a better model.

Peter Gillespie

[ Edited ]
aaseymour

I have searched and all of the comments are this is a total piece of crap.  Just wanting to find out the specs, as per NBN Guides 

https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/learn/optimisation/in-home-optimisation

a person should "Choose a Wi-Fi router/modem based on your specific needs."

So a crap modem is not to my specific needs

if Optus can not give me these details I will terminate them and go with a provider that is able to supply to my specific needs.

PS currently use a Netgear Nighthawk R8000 in AP mode for in house networking

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

FWIW Optus provide the modem as a bonus to the contract. Its sufficient for most households. If you have extra requirements then as the NBN says, find one to replace it with that matches your needs. As mention, you can likely just use your current modem still for WIFI.

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
newline

It's not a crock. My (just now) speed test 

on desktop connected by 5 GHz to the Sagemcom. FTTN 50/20 plan, and this result is typical over a 24-hour period.

aaseymour

Peter Gillespie Stated "Optus provide the modem as a bonus to the contract"

I am not sure why you would make such a false claim the modem is a required and necessary part in the connection to the NBN.  That is the reason that on the NBN website they state 

https://www.nbnco.com.au/residential/learn/optimisation/in-home-optimisation

a person should "Choose a Wi-Fi router/modem based on your specific needs."

And In fact You can not use Telephony on the Optus NBN connection unless you use their provided moden (FTP excluded)

This thread is asking what is the seed of the AC chipset?  Why is it so hard to get an answer?

Is optus Hiding the Information

newline

I stand corrected from my earlier post. According to Whirlpool, it is AC1600 https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/fttn_registered_modem_router.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

I agree the modem is a necessary part of the connection. What I meant was that Optus provide the modem to fulfil the basic requirements of their offering. It connects to the NBN, has phone capability and built in wifi. Optus have made no attempt to offer something more than this minimum. 

The wifi specs you're asking for aren't generally available as you've found so no one has been able to give you answer. Glad you found one on whirlpool.

But you specifically asked Is it a decent modem? Is it fast nough for a modern household?

I've tried to explain that the rated wifi speed of the modem has little to do with whether it will work well in your home and meet your specific needs. Likely the answer is yes based on what you've told us. But ultimately it either will or won't, I'd suggest looking into alternative modems if it doesn't.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
90 Kudos
54 Kudos
28 Kudos
21 Kudos
19 Kudos