Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Sporaxis
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

F@ST3864V3 modem, FTTN, WAN setting and a Ubiqity UniFiSecurity Gateway

Hi All,

Hoping someone out there has tried to configure the Ubiqity Unifi Security Gateway (USG) with th eoptus supplied mode, the F@ST3864V3. My intent is to have internet pass into the network behind the USG (leveraging of an access point), where the USG gives me a much more granular control on my network than the FA@ST3864V# modem.

Note: I use term modem, to describe the optus supplied box (lets not get caught up to much on language). I know i does a heap more, router, basic firewall etc..

and I am a Optus customer with a Optus NBN offering.

My physcial set up is pretty standard and follows the recommended guidelines for hooking all this up.

MODEM (192.168.0.1) WAN -> USG WAN1 PORT

USG (192.168.1.1) -> Unifi Switch (USW) 192.168.1.9

USW -> Unifi Controller Key (UCK) (192.168.1.6)

USW -> Unifi Wireless Access Point (UAP) (192.168.1.10)

So, I can't get the internet working, or the WAN port to actually pass data. DHCP is set for both, which is evident from the Ip addresses being assigned to he bits hanging off the USG.

So my questions are:

1. Has anyone got this combination working for FTTN. Basically the modem plugs into a phone point, because heck the goverenemtn didnt see the point of providing decent fibre connectivity.

2. Any suggested settings I can explore or use?

3. If you wish pics etc, I am happy to throw up here or in a bucket somewhere.

Thanks

Sporaxis

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Nathans250
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: F@ST3864V3 modem, FTTN, WAN setting and a Ubiqity UniFiSecurity Gateway

Hi,

Have you checked to see if there is a conflicting DHCP on the Optus router ie IPV6?

Have you confirmed on the Ubiquity the correct Default gateway?

Regards, 

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Nathans250 wrote:

Have you confirmed on the Ubiquity the correct Default gateway?

And also the devices connected to the switch. The USG should have MODEM as gateway and all devices connected USG (i.e. via the switch) should have USG as gateway.

0 Kudos
snowcrash01
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I'm interested in the same setup, but I think the WAN port can't be used in this design?

I think the WAN port on the Sagemcom is only for FTTP (NBN Uplink) customers?

So I suspect I will have to have the following setup:

FTTN ( NBN wall port via RJ11 cable) into -> Sagemcom DSL port 

Eth0 port to connect USG -> USG WAN Port

USG WAN port -> EdgeRouter/Switch

Switch ->CloudKey

Switch ->Unifi AP

I am yet to set this up yet! 

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@snowcrash01 wrote:

I think the WAN port on the Sagemcom is only for FTTP (NBN Uplink) customers?

Nope. The WAN port is just a straight network uplink. It does not know or care what type network service is there.

I'm on FTTC and my 3864v3HP worked just fine when I plugged it into my NBN FTTC connection box. 

It also worked fine when I only used it for phone, and plugged it into my ASUS router via the WAN port.

0 Kudos
snowcrash01
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So are you saying I could wire it the other way around and have the Sagemcom plugged in at the end of the device chain acting purely as a VOIP phone adapter?

i.e.

FTTN -> USG -> Switch -> Sagemcom ??

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@snowcrash01 wrote:

FTTN -> USG -> Switch -> Sagemcom ??

Only if USG has a DSL modem and is not just a router. The FTTN wall socket is a DSL port so it requires a modem to convert it to WAN.

0 Kudos
snowcrash01
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Unfortunately USG is ethernet only (no modem)

Sporaxis
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi All,

Apologies been awol due to the crisis of life etc. I worked out that I had the wrong port plugged in as stated above; should have been a Lan from Modem to Wan of USG. Rookie mistake, but mistakes are how we learn.

It has lead me to other issues though, in that I also run an old school gaming server for Never Winter Nights which is not visible when plugged into the USG (case of Double NAT) and also not visbilbe when plugged directly into the modem LAN or dropped into the DMZ. I have set up a variety of port forwarding etc, however I would like to just turn the modem to 'Bridge Mode' and let the USG handle the firewall and DHCP.

Is this possible with the current firmware, research says nope as the optus release is effectively Nerfware. I understand the why, however not allowing power users to sort stuff is a real pain.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Sporaxis wrote:

I would like to just turn the modem to 'Bridge Mode' ...

Is this possible with the current firmware, research says nope as the optus release is effectively Nerfware. .

There are posts on whirlpool on how to get in bridge mode, its involved and messy, but people have reported success.

0 Kudos