Searching...

F@ST 3864V3 AC WiFi issues

Patonga_man

Hi

Ever since I received the F@ST 3864V3 AC modem/ router I have had  issues with the WiFi . Periodically devices cannot connect to the internet, even though they show as connected to WiFi. If I Turn Wifi off then back on, on the modem I can then access the internet again for a while. Devices connected to the modem via an ethernet cable do not have a problem.

It doesn't matter how close I am to the modem and it happens on 2.4GHz or 5GHz. 

I disabled the WiFi on the F@ST device and put in another WiFi router and that works fine, so the issue is definitely with the Optus supplied device.

How do I report this to get a replacement, without having to spend an eternity on the telephone

Thanks

Brian

Re: F@ST 3864V3 AC WiFi issues

Dan_C

@Patonga_man, you've found the right place.

Happy to go in and see if there's something we can do for you.

I'm not sure if it's something you've tried already, but you can go in and change the WiFi channel. 

1. Enter http://192.168.0.1/ in your webrowser
  2. If prompted, try the default username:admin and password: password
  3. Click on “Advanced Settings” on the left hand side.
  4. on the left hand side click on “Wireless” and then “Advanced”.
  5.  To start with, try channels 1, 6 and 11 and test to see if there is any improvement and then change the channel if it doesn’t.

If you've tried the above and it hasn't solved the issue, PM us with your details.

We need your full name, DOB and account number. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Patonga_man

Thnks for the respone Dan

Trying different channels was the first thing I tried, I have WiFi Analyzer on my Android phone and tried several different channels that didn't overlap with others in the area. As mentioned tried 2.4GHz & 5GHz bands.

I'll PM you

Thanks

Brian

Patonga_man

Hi Dan

OK the replacement modem arrived Monday as promised, thanks for that.

HOWEVER, just unpacked today and find that it is a F@ST 3864V3 OP (white) and not the F@ST 3864V3 AC (black) which I have now.

So the new one is only single band WiFi (2.4GHz) and not dual band like the existing one.

Realy frustrating to get the wrong modem, but I see from other posts not unique.

Optus really don't do themselves any favours by suplying these cheap and nasty modems, it must cost them more in the long run to keep sending out replacements (I now have four different Optus F@ST modems) 

I have an excellent TP-LINK NBN approved and compliant modem that I purchased and that I would happily use and gives me rock a solid VDSL connection, and excellent STABLE WiFi throughout my house, but because I want theVOIP phone service I'm paying for I have to use the Optus modem that doesn't give me decent WiFi. I know I can (and have) disable the Optus modem WiFi and use a separate router, but I don't want additional devices cluttering up the place. I just want the device provided by Optus to work as per specifications. 

I know this is a company policy and not your fault, but Optus really should provide us with the VOIP details so that we could configure our own modems. I realise this puts us outside of your upport, but I could live with that, having a service that doesn't work well I can't live with. Other ISPs allow this, so why can't Optus.

I assure you that if it wasn't for the fact that I don't want to lose my EPL & UCL coverage on my Optus FETCH TV, I would switch to another ISP in a heartbeat.

In the mean time, can you arrange for me to receive the correct modem

Many Thanks

Brian

Dan_C

I've sent you another private message @Patonga_man

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

kevy_73

Hi Brian

Did you get a replacememnt modem and did it resolve your WiFi issue?

Cheers

Highlighted

Patonga_man

Hi

yes I did get a new modem, first time Optus sent the wrong modem. Then got the right one. However, in the first five days, modem lost line sync several times and then when it reconnected it was at a much slower speed, around 15Mbps (on nbn50 plan). I then had to turn off the modem for several minutes and it would connect at a reasonable speed.

I still found wifi devices were occasionally losing internet access despite showing as connected with good wifi strength, Hard wired devices had no issues.

i ended up removing the Optus piece of junk modem and putting my own in and it works without issue. Optus really need to either give us the SIP settings so that we can use our own GOOD QUALITY modems OR give us the option to have their free POOR QUALITY or pay extra to get a good quality one. It’s not acceptable that in order to get a decent internet service, I have to forgo having the phone service I am paying for. 

In in the New Year I WILL be ditching Optus 

Cheers Brian

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
37 Kudos
31 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos