Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Extremely slow download speed (NBN cable/modem)

Hi,

for the last few days, I've an extremely slow download speed (~50kb/s) in comparison to ~4500kb/s. I've contacted Optus several times but I only get the 'usual' reply (might be your router, modem, computer etc).   I had a computer expert to check router, modem, connection etc, but all good. We came to the conclusion it is certainly Optus's fault (congestions/repairs in our area?). There are times during the day) when I have nearly my normal speed back ,but only for a very short period of time. At the moment (10 am) the speed is down to a pathetic speed of 70kb/s.  The whole frustrating experience started few days ago, coinciding with the repairs of NBN  on the other side of our street. Anyone here who has a similar experience (Brisbane/Paddington area)?

Contacting Optus seems to be useless, always get the same reply (no fault reported, must be you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Extremely slow download speed (NBN cable/modem)

Optus can see the speed on your line realtime. They should be able to confirm the issue on the spot. I'd you've done the usual tests and it's a persistent issue then just request the NBN tech be sent out. That's Optus job here.

One other test you might try. If you have an NBN NCD box (tiny modem) disconnect the iris modem and plug a PC direct into it and reboot. See what speeds you get directly.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply:

I've: "disconnect the iris modem and plug a PC direct into it and reboot" but no change re the download speed. Still extremely slow. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That rules out a faulty modem. Need to get an NBN tech out to test your line from the street. Optus will arrange that.
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, thought so.  Not looking forward to go through the 'agony'  of explaining it again to Optus .