Searching...

Extremely slow Wifi

shorty1

Hi all,

Currently on NBN with Optus and using one of their white NBN modem/routers. When I hook the ethernet cable in I get 70+Mbps speed but disconnect cable and only get 3 - 5Mbps. And that's with laptop right nect to modem.

Have made numerous calls and spent hour after hour on support to try to fix this with promises of follow up calls but they seem to have dropped it and it all seems too hard.

I have been with Optus for 10 - 15 years but seriously thinking the next step will be to change ISP's and see if I can get better service.

Any suggestions or anyone have experienced this and found a fix?

Thanks

Re: Extremely slow Wifi

shorty1

Just did a check.

It's a Sagemcom modem and current speed test on Optus speedtest.net is:

Ping  80 ms      Download  2.31 Mbps      Upload  1.47 Mbps

Highlighted

Tris

Hi @shorty1, did the Tech Support team go through the normal WiFi troubleshooting such as changing the WiFi channel? It's strange to be so different to the cabled speed. There could be some type of interference. Have you been offered any fault reference numbers that I can look into? 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

SillyGogo

how is the notebook wifi speed with other wifi access point? My friend's notebook have the same issue, great speed with cable and very poor via wifi. Did a few reset of the modem resolved it but the issue returns after a few days. Eventualy, the wifi connection died. He brought a TPlink usb wifi adaptor and getting great speed and range. So for him, it is a faulty wifi card from his Asus notebook that caused the problem. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy

ScottEso

Hi, Is there a fix to this? I've the same problem for MONTHS with optus. I used to be connected with Dodo NBN and wifi was so fast. Connected all my wireless devices including NBA games and netflix at the same time. Since coming over to Optus and the OPtus modem.... It's so slow., streams are ALWAYS buffering and taking long to load. SO frustrating. I'm ready to go back to dodo if there's no fix.  I called optus, she made me plug in the cable and confirmed a high speed. - Which does absolutely nothing for me!  

SillyGogo

@ScottEso seems the problem is between the Optus wifi radio and your notebook's wifi radio as you are getting high speed with a wired connections. 

here are some options:

1. look for a better wifi channel, use app like wifi analysis and seek for a better wifi channel.

2. check if your notebook's wifi is working properly at other site like at work etc, check other device's wifi speed at home. It could be the wifi radio on your notebook is not working or configured to the correct region or time for a new wifi radio.

3. get a new modem from Optus, could be a faulty wifi radio

4. get a new usb wifi adaptor for your notebook

5. use your old Dodo modem as an Access point.

6. buy a better wireless router. 

7. get a new services provider, that will only get you a new modem. as the issue isn't whats coming into the home. It is from the modem to your notebook.

Depending on the age of your notebook, I would make sure that the wifi radio is working properly in the first place. Then buy a new wifi router. You will get much better performace and stability. There are plenty of good value one on Gumtree.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
111 Kudos
41 Kudos
31 Kudos
17 Kudos
16 Kudos