Searching...
Highlighted

Extra Phone point

linuts

My Phone point is in my Kitchen....I am going to connect to the NBN...Can i put an extra phone point in my Lounge room so i can use the NBN router there instead of in the Kitchen.

Thanks

Re: Extra Phone point

petergdownload

What NBN technology are you getting? What you need to do will depend on that maybe.

Check here

Are you wanting to move the data to the new point or is it more to have a phone connection at the new point?

linuts

We are Getting FTTN  and the Optus supplied Sagecom Modem/Router which has to be connected to the phone line (which is in the kitchen).So ideally i want a phone socket in the Loung Room where my devices are.

Jeneral__Pain

You can put your modem anywhere because it's wifi signal will reach through your home. Unless you want to physically cable devices into the router in which case, you'd need to have the phone port moved to where you want it.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

petergdownload

No problem running the phone line to a second outlet in your house if you want (NBN FTTN will plug into any of them). You could also just wait and see if wifi works for you in the original spot. Or perhaps look to a Mesh Wifi system like Gogle Wifi.

Peter Gillespie

linuts

Thanks for the replies, I thought the Modem (F@st 3864v3) had to be connected to the Primary Phone point.If thats not the case then i will get an extra point installed in the Lounge room. Does the Google Mesh system simply connect to the Sagecom by ethernet cable...? and if so do i leave the WiFi on the modem still connected or do i turn it off.

Thanks

petergdownload

There is no such thing as a primary phone point. They are all just branches from the street. Each is equal to the other.

If you used Google WiFi then it does just plug in via wired (first unit). Any other units you add just connect via wifi to each other. 

Yes you would turn off the Optus WiFi if you installed another WiFi unit (like Googles). 

But see how the Optus unit goes before you add in other solutions (you may not need)

Peter Gillespie

Jeneral__Pain

It's really important to note, that FTTN often DOES NOT like multiple phone sockets on the connection. Often they introduce noise and FTTN with noise will see your speed drop dramatically. 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Something to account for then. An unused phone socket will likely have less of an issue than having several phone sockets in use around the home. @linuts you could still try a second outlet (its not a certainty adding a socket will cause an issue). However you might like to get the person doing the intall to just make it a single line to the new spot and disconnect the old one. Up to you.

If you're not wanting nore than 50Mbps plans it my also be a moot point.

Peter Gillespie

linuts

I thought the phone plugged into the Sagecom, So the phone point in the Kitchen would not be used.

Thanks

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
104 Kudos
39 Kudos
31 Kudos
12 Kudos
12 Kudos