cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Everyone with Slow NBN Read this before moving forward

Helped me enormously, in more ways than 1, thank you.

1: I learned stuff about internet speeds hobbling/throttle that I didn't know before reading your comments. (I am one of those "mum & dad punters") & have confirmed it is true from other sources (the internet service infrastructure that is owned & maintained by Optus in our area is virtually prehistoric,in my opinion, & it's capacity has definitely been oversold!)

2: I didn't know there was a dedicated Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman.

3: I used some of your words when I contacted Optus tech support & they moved faster than ever before to "fix" the problem (which was only a temporary "fix" for us, we're waiting to see what happens at the beginning of our next billing cycle to be sure)

4: I joined this forum to post you a reply & am very pleased I did. (I don't do "social media").

5: I've started looking for other providers in our area to do comparisons (our contract is nearly up).

P.S.: don't know why this spell checker does not recognise "internet"as a word ...  Smiley Surprised

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

@lissof ... the reason the spell  checker didn't work on the word "internet" was possibky because you're vtyping directly into the YesCrowd portal which as inbuilt editing.

Possibly the combination of Optus NBN and internet in their background editing/validation results in "Customer +Complaint+NBN+internet" criteria results in "Computer says NO"....LOL.

At least that's how the Customer Support agents are programmed 😊

Glad the forum hepled you.

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@lissof

Thanks for your reply.   I am a believer that they only way optus can be forced into fixing this issue is to be outed for bad business practice .. to do that we need to all do our part

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Interestingly enough, speedtest on non-Optus 4G shows results as high as 146Mb down.

Turned off wi-fi and then ran speedtest over 4G on my mobile phone.

Anyone know whether that method of speed testing is valid?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Well an update from Optus Case Management that I finally got last week from off shore person not Christian that I had previously dealt with.

Sorry but the CVC we were planning on switching to back in February was also congested so we didn't move your service.  Thanks for nothing I said and I was told that they were looking into upgrading but wouldn't give me a timeframe.  He told me I was getting my 100/40 speed for no additional dollars who cares just give me a service that I can use during the peak periods.  He kindly reminded me that I had performed a speedtest after 11:00pm and I was getting 92mbps, well no s@#t sherlock everybody had probably gone to bed in the neighbourhood as they were cheesed off with putting up with the poor internet speed that you provide.

Well today I logged a ticket with the TIO I don't expect to get a resolution out of it so I'm not holding my breathe.  Next is the ACCC for clearly selling a serivce that they cannot clearly provide.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

I feel your pain @wannabeastar ...

I needed to download a bunch of hi-res pics from Dropbox to prepare a sales brochure to go to the printer in the morning, so thought I'd get up early around 4.00 am when many in the area would still be in bed. Ohhh so slow getting the first pic down, so after it finally finished I closed everything else down and did a speed test.

Would you believe, at 4.00 am in Modbury SA area, Ookla returned a download speed to Optus Regency Park node at.... wait for it... 2.48 Mbps !!

On a 100/40 service....!!!

Don't think it's a case of CVC congestion alone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

it is very interesting reading this. I have just spent the last 2 years moving 3 phones our internet over to optus. One thing we enjoy is being able to watch streaming movies over the NBN.  During the last few months however we have had a lot of buffering,  so much that we cannot watch a movie properly. Sometimes we completely download a movie to fetch, but the frame rate is so bad there is a jerking during action scenes. Sometimes we watch bigpond movies straight to the tv but there is also buffering.  

I am so sick of it I think we will go back to hiring dvds from blockbuster or maybe look at getting another internet provider

Thank you

Mark

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@Mark64

unfortunatly the grass is similar on alot of other isp patches.    ive asked in the telstra crowd what their congestion is like and their reply was about 50-75 percent speeds so thats not bad.   I have a second connection with nuskope and that is not bad although im now having line issues where im getting high speeds but lots of packet loss during peak times.   All very frustrating

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I finally had the conversation with my optus case officer.   Nice bloke,   he didnt try to fluff up the situation with BS.     He acknowledged what i have been saying as being correct and also the fact that they dont know when upgrades to cvc's will occur is pretty much a finanical issue with cost.

I got an outcome that is suitable for me which i appreciate but most of all i appreciate that i was not lied too.   Now if Optus call center people were educated or even had their scripts changed to reflect what is occuring there would be less rage and the ability for people to make informed decisions.      Lets be honest here .. if people knew about the bandwidth issues before they comitted they wouldnt come and that would mean the people already here wouldnt be as impacted.  

I still implore people to raise the issue with the TIO and ACCC as people power need to push for regulation in this industry to stop these bad business practices

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Although I am one of those parents who don't fully understand the speed lingo, I think I need to act and lodge Complaint. Usually loading a 'rented movie' through fetch takes a couple of seconds to be ready to watch. Last Week we sat down to watch a movie only to be shocked 'movie is ready to watch in 2.59 HOURS!!! After and hour and a half of waiting I rang up optus. Fobbed from person to person, eventually to be told 'there is no time frame on a fix' ' many people are online and it is congested' I went on to say 'this isn't dial up anymore optus! I'm paying good dollars for a service I am not being provided with. Since then each time I've tried to ring and complain further I keep getting sent to Tech Support!! The fellow I spoke to said 'do not worry about your hard earned dollar, he was so rude. Thanks for the info here 👌🏼

Tags (1)
0 Kudos