cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Everyone with Slow NBN Read this before moving forward

If Ookla Speed test shows a FASTER upload speed than your download speed then this is a "throttling issue" where your ISP (eg Optus) is artificially limiting your download speed presumably due to the reasons already stated. If both upload and download speeds are lousy then it's usually due to a fault - probably with your copper wire which is why we should never have gone down the road of FTTN.

Another issue that I haven't seen covered in these posts that may affect some people's speed ...

If you have a "real" NBN connection of fibre to the premises and you pay for a 100Mbps service then you should GET a 100Mbps service as the technology is all in place for your actual download speed to be what you've paid for.

If you have a "fake news" NBN of fibre to the node then you should get 100Mbps to the node but the actual speed that you get at your premises will depend on the length of the twisted pair copper cable from the node to your premises. I live around 700m from my node and my maximum speed is around 38Mbps at that distance (I worked this out using information from a UK ISP who publishes expected download speeds vs distance for their version of the "fake news" NBN. None of the Australian ISPs seem to want to tell you what speed you SHOULD be getting at what dstance as that would mean that they had to "lift their game" to make sure that you got that speed. This information is actually freely available in the specs from the manufacturers of the IC chips that are used in the modems.

In any event, in my case, even if I paid for a 100Mbps service or a 50Mbps service I would only get a 38Mbps service due to the crappy technology and distance. So I pay for a 25Mbps service and that's pretty much what I get - all the time.

There was a week a while ago when my download speed was down around 5Mbps and my upload speed around 0.5Mbps but Optus acknowledged that they had a fault in the area that they subsequently fixed. The fault MAY have been that they paid for inadequate bandwidth but I don't know that and I suspect a cable fault.

Just as an aside, I was told by NBN techs that the devices that are used for the REAL NBN are actually capable of supplying 1Gbps download speeds but that the government has just decided to limit the speeds to 100Gb for now. However I also heard that you can pay extra to actually GET the 1Gbps speed. Now, only business with lots of users would really need 1Gbps speed but it's nice to know that it can be supplied. With the upgrade of the devices at each end of your fibre connection to the NBN you can actually get even faster speeds (eg 10Gbps ) over the same fibre and possibly even 1000Gbps which is real speed.

The thing is that while there are not really that many reasons for most people to go above 25Mbps speeds at the moment - the NBN is supposed to be the network for the future and in 10 years time 100Mbps will be woefully inadequate and so it will have to be upgraded AGAIN at an even greater cost. That is not Optuis or Telstra's fault - it's Tony Abbott and Malcolm Tyurnbull's fault - because TOny Abbott doesn't believe in the internet or climate change or serving the interests of the public.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi @GlynR, when you say:

"If you have a "real" NBN connection of fibre to the premises and you pay for a 100Mbps service then you should GET a 100Mbps service as the technology is all in place for your actual download speed to be what you've paid for."

I totally agree with you. The thing, at least in my case, is that the CVC is an actual bottleneck and, in that case, it's indeed RSP's fault.

Thanks for the info about FTTN. Very clarifying.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If Ookla Speed test shows a FASTER upload speed than your download speed then this is a "throttling issue" where your ISP (eg Optus) is artificially limiting your download speed presumably due to the reasons already stated. If both upload and download speeds are lousy then it's usually due to a fault - probably with your copper wire which is why we should never have gone down the road of FTTN.

Another issue that I haven't seen covered in these posts that may affect some people's speed ...

If you have a "real" NBN connection of fibre to the premises and you pay for a 100Mbps service then you should GET a 100Mbps service as the technology is all in place for your actual download speed to be what you've paid for.

If you have a "fake news" NBN of fibre to the node then you should get 100Mbps to the node but the actual speed that you get at your premises will depend on the length of the twisted pair copper cable from the node to your premises. I live around 700m from my node and my maximum speed is around 38Mbps at that distance (I worked this out using information from a UK ISP who publishes expected download speeds vs distance for their version of the "fake news" NBN. None of the Australian ISPs seem to want to tell you what speed you SHOULD be getting at what distance as that would mean that they had to "lift their game" to make sure that you got that speed. This information is actually freely available in the specs from the manufacturers of the IC chips that are used in the modems.

In any event, in my case, even if I paid for a 100Mbps service or a 50Mbps service I would only get a 38Mbps service due to the crappy technology and distance. So I pay for a 25Mbps service and that's pretty much what I get - all the time.

There was a week a while ago when my download speed was down around 5Mbps and my upload speed around 0.5Mbps but Optus acknowledged that they had a fault in the area that they subsequently fixed. The fault MAY have been that they paid for inadequate bandwidth but I don't know that and I suspect a cable fault.

Just as an aside, I was told by NBN techs that the devices that are used for the REAL NBN are actually capable of supplying 1Gbps download speeds but that the government has just decided to limit the speeds to 100Gb for now. However I also heard that you can pay extra to actually GET the 1Gbps speed. Now, only business with lots of users would really need 1Gbps speed but it's nice to know that it can be supplied. With the upgrade of the devices at each end of your fibre connection to the NBN you can actually get even faster speeds (eg 10Gbps ) over the same fibre and possibly even 1000Gbps which is real speed.

The thing is that while there are not really that many reasons for most people to go above 25Mbps speeds at the moment - the NBN is supposed to be the network for the future and in 10 years time 100Mbps will be woefully inadequate and so it will have to be upgraded AGAIN at an even greater cost. That is not Optuis or Telstra's fault - it's Tony Abbott and Malcolm Tyurnbull's fault - because TOny Abbott doesn't believe in the internet or climate change or serving the interests of the public.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I understand all the differences between FTTP and FTTN and not to expect 50mb/s, however I would still expect FTTN to have lower latency and higher download speeds than an ADSL2 connection during peak periods. With the Optus supplied modem, it shows on the homepage a handshake or connection link at 34mb/s. I can't remember the exact term it uses.

If I can get 10ms ping with 25mb/s download (constantly) during business hours, yet 82ms and 8mb/s between 6pm and 12am, then there is a major congestion problem here.

What's the best way to find a cabinet? I know of one which would be less than 1km in a straight line from my house, but it is entirely possible there is one closer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@rcarde

Are u planning to tell us about ur new provider?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Just keep you posted, that I had another conversation with the retentions team, after an upgrade from 25/5 to 100/40 without an extra charge to see if it's help, after I stated that there is nothing changed, well from 0.18 to 0.38mpbs during the peak hours, they wanted me to talk with the tech support again 🙂 I told that I already know what's they going to say, I was told that there is nothing more they can do for me. As I can see if OPTUS cannot resolve the issue and I lodge a complaint with TIO it will be classified as a level 2 and Optus have to pay 300$ for it, so why they don't refund money and avoid another record with TIO? By following their strange policy they will pay 300$ for TIO, have an angry customer and another complaint with ACCC for their business practice, as I have almost everything recorded. Is it really reasonable?

Just giving you an exact time frame: 

1) night 3 of march live chat with tech support, usual stuff, the congection, no time frame, can opt out without penalty (I'm on month by month plan), offering to pay extra 10$ for speed pack 3 to test if it's help. This silly offer was srejected. 

For those who is want to knoe the reason "As huge customer are opting for the NBN, it is main cause for congestion" that was said by tech support.

2) evening 3 of march from another tech support member "upgrading the speed pack usually doesnt work since its the network that's congested"

3) 14 of march "Based from the notes on the account, there's no timeframe of when the issue with the congestion can
be fixed, hence you have been permitted to cancel the service if needed". "If that is the case , the next step is to contact the retentions team" 

4) 15 of march by retentions team was told that they will upgrade my speed pack to 100/40 and "in many cases it helps". 

5) 16 of march no updates, call them again and been told that they done something wrong and speed pack wasn't updated. So waited another day. 

6) 21 of March call to retentions team again "we have millions of satisfied customers and in some individual cases ...". I wanted to opt out and have a refund (connection fee and last bill), been told that in 3 days will be contacted by credit case managemet team with the offer. As I read from the yes crowd no one from Optus gets back to them, I said that if no on contacted me I will lodge a complaint with TIO, answer "As a customer it is you right and you can do whatever you want", so they don't really care. Will see tmr it's a due date. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

When this NBN thing would be fix?
It's so annoying

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The issue with your cabinet is not "where is the closest cabinet" as you will be connected to the cabinet that your copper cables go past. To locate the cabinets near you all you can do is drive the neighbourhood and look for them but your ISP SHOULD be able to tell you the location of the cabinet that you ARE connected to.

My daughter has an NBN cabinet right across the road from her house but she is NOT connected to that cabinet. She's connected to a different cabinet which is about 1km away from her. Her connection speed (as shown in the modem) is less than the 25MBps that she is paying for but more than the 12Mbps so she's best off staying on the 25Mbps plan. Originally she signed up for a100Mbps plan but when she only got 18Mbps she changed down to the 25Mbps plan.

Why isn't she connected to the closest cabinet? That's just the way the existing copper wires run.

If she wants to dig up the road, lay her own cable across the road and then repair the road then she could connect to the cabinet across the road - but that ain't gonna happen!

Now, if you log onto your Optus crapware modem and look at the CONNECTION speed that will tell you what the FASTEST download speed is that you can achieve. So, if you are on a 25Mbps plan then the connection speed may be a bit above 25Mbsp as the maximum connection speed is artificially limited to 25Mbps at the cabinet. If your connection speed is significantly LESS than that then either you have a copper cable fault or you are too far away from the cabinet. The same goes for the 50Mbsp and 100Mbps plans. Unless you are pretty close to the cabinet you are connected to then you won't get the full 100Mbps because of limitations in the way VDSL works (similar to ADSL just higher speeds).

If your modem's connection speed is less than half of the speed that you are paying for then you probably just need to drop to a lower speed plan (you can try complaining but may not get anywhere) unless you are sure that it's a cable fault -which is often accompanied by dropouts and disconnections.

Now with regard to congestion. If the CONNECTION speed shown in your modem is 25Mbps then the download speed from the cabinet to your premises SHOULD BE close to 25Mbps. If it's not then that is a congestion issue at the cabinet - there isn't enough data getting to the cabinet from the internet to give you the maximum speed of your connection. If this happens then this is NOT your problem - it's not YOUR connection - it's a fault with the connection between the cabinet and the internet and THAT is definitely an ISP problem which they CAN fix if they choose to do so. I would doubt that this is an NBN problem as the cabinet is connected via high-speed fibre.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If your download speed is significantly slower than your connection speed then there is no benefit to going to a faster plan as you already have the capability to download at the connection speed - but can't.

If you are on a 25Mbps plan and your connection speed (as shown in the modem) is 25Mbps and your download speed is around 25Mbps (as measured by Speedtest.net) then going onto a higher speed plan should get you a faster download speed.

If you are on a 25Mbps plan and your modem connection speed is 18Mbps then either ...

• you are too far away from the cabinet to achieve a 25Mbps connection speed
  • your modem is faulty and unable to connect at the full speed
  • the copper cable between the cabinet and your premises has a fault that has limited the speed.

Under any of these conditions changing the maximum connection speed at the cabinet won't affect the connection speed of your modem - even if the cabinet was set to 1Gbps download limit.

To put it another way - if you have a 25Mbps plan and your download speed is 15Mbps then changing to a 50Mbps plan WON'T make your download speed 30Mbps - it will still be 15Mbps because that is limited by either your copper cable connection or congestion on the connection from the internet to the cabinet.

Yet another way to put it.

Let's assume that, due to the way that VDSL works, your maximum possible connection speed is 40Mbps caused by the distance from the cabinet to your premises.

If you are on a 100Mbps plan then your connection speed should be 40Mbps and your download speed tested by speedtest.net SHOULD be around 40Mbps.

If you are on a 50Mbps plan then your connection speed should still be 40Mbps and your download speed tested by speedtest.net SHOULD still be around 40Mbps.

If you are on a 25Mbps plan then your connection speed should now be around 25Mbps and your download speed tested by speedtest.net SHOULD also be around 25Mbps.

If you are trying to download a large file from an overseas web server then your download speed may not be as high as your connection speed due to congestion on the overseas fibre connections or high usage on the remote server.

If you use speedtest.net on the automatically selected server then your download speed SHOULD be very close to the connection speed in your modem and anything else is a fault.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@MOAX

probably never.   Optus are not required to provide anything but a basic connection to you thus they dont care if the speed is unusable during peak times 😞    time to move to a new ISP

0 Kudos
Top Contributors