Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
GlynR
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Everyone with Slow NBN Read this before moving forward

When you were getting the 60Mbps download speed what was the CONNECTION speed in the modem?

If that was 100Mbps then your slower speed is probably due to congestion on that node - you could have tried at 5:00am to see if it was any faster.

If your connection speed was only 60Mbps then it's possibly the copper cable to your premises causing the issue.

How do you know that you're 200m from the node? My daughter has a node directly across the street from her house - 15 metres away but she is connected to a DIFFERENT node which is about 1km away because that is just how the copper cables are routed. In your case the cable may be going around the block a few times before they get to you and you may be further from the node than you think. VDSL speeds drop off with the length of the copper cable and if this is the issue then you can either ...

(1) pay to get fibre to the home (this is available at an extra cost and you can share that cost with a neighbour if they also want fibre to he home.

(2) You change down to a cheaper plan where you can actually get what you're paying for. If you could download at 60Mbps on a 100Mbps plan then you will be able to download at 50Mbps on a 50Mbps plan.

0 Kudos
GlynR
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

There are a number of posts on this forum about connecting a second router's WAN port to an ethernet port on the SAGEMCOM modem.

Then you can turn OFF the wireless on the SAGEMCOM and use the wireless in your new router instead.

You can set your new modem up as a DMZ for the SAGEMCOM modem so that almost everything other than the VOIP settings are controlled from the second router.

It's stupid that you have to have TWO routers - but it is a way to get around the frustrations that most people are having and it costs you no more than just replacing the SAGEMCOM with a new modem as the SAGEMCOM was "free" anyway.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
GlynR
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

With those speeds you should change down to the 25Mbps plan as you will still get virtually the same download speed but it's cheaper.

0 Kudos
Albus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@GlynR@  I am going to try your suggestion of turning off the WiFi for the Sagemcrap tomorrow and see how the Netgear goes with the Wifi as it cannot be worse.  May also look to change the channel from Auto to maybe 6 later in the week if no better to see how I go.

I have used WiFi Analyzer to check signal strength and in each position the Netgear WiFI Router is the best signal unless I am in the room with the Sagemcom.  This speaks volumes anout the Sagemcom WiFi signal.

0 Kudos
kpc32
Contributor
Contributor

Just to update everyone on my TIO case, after complaning to the mods that no one had contacted me even after the cut off date someone finally called me.

They gave me two options leave without penalty or $25 off a month for the next 6 months.

Again they don't know when the improvements will take place, i can't believe a company this size does not know when upgrades will take place. I said honestly just say June the 1st it's close enough to the date now.

I've taken option 2 for now but i can still leave when i want, so will be waiting until June 1st to make a decision.

Hope this helps everyone who's made a complaint to the TIO.

0 Kudos
Albus
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@GlynRI have been running the Netgear as the only WiFi connection and while it worked Ok, as in fantastic WiFi signal, I still had issues with dropouts - that is continually having to reconnect the wireless devices to be able to get internet access.  Optus have replaced the Sagemcom router and i have just installed it today and I will see how it goes.  Unfortunately I am not expecting anything much to change given the build quality of the original.

0 Kudos
wannabeastar
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Well it has been a while since I posted anything on this thread as there was no need to as I thought my issue had been resolved.  I was in conversations with a Customer Relations Executive (CRE) about exiting my contract without penalty which I was happy with what was discussed, however it has all gone down hill since then.  I have since been invoiced for another month of internet service I no longer need and the CRE was to organise disconnection of my service and collection of the Fetch TV box.  I had my suspicions something wasn't correct as the Internet bundle was still on my account and active so I rang the CRE and left a voice mail message on Tuesday, sent an email on the Wednesday and all I've heard is crickets.  Well I won't be paying the outstanding amount on the invoice, I want my credit back that was on my account and I want the service disconnected like it was supposed to be.  Not good enough looks like I will have to open another ticket with the TIO to get action on this once again.

0 Kudos
Scott_M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @wannabeastar, just checked the notes from the CRG rep. He was expecting an email from you when you were ready to disconnect the service it seems. If you've sent the email yesterday he should get back to you shortly. I'll shoot him a message to as a reminder for you. 

0 Kudos
wannabeastar
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Scott_M,

I sent the CRE an email on th 30/04/2017 at 9:05am to start the ball rolling to deactivate the service.  I subsequently sent him another email on the 01/05/2017 with a new email address that he could communicate with as I had disconnected the Optus equipment at my premise.  If you could follow up with him it would be greatly appreciated.  I also rang on Tuesday and sent another email on Wednesday this week as detailed in previous post.

0 Kudos
tyler_spackman
Contributor
Contributor

Im glab im not the only one who got that BS script about doing upgrades to their network. but oddly they were more vauge on what they were even doing. They told me I was being put on a list of people with complants of slow internet, and that they would text me when they had an update on when they were updating their stuff. she said this it sent alarmrs off, meaning that it may take a long time. So I asked when was the first person to put on that list, she told me around 4 months ago. I asked if their problem had been fixed or not, which she said as long as they are still on the list their problem has not been worked.

I asked what othet alternatives could she offer me, as I was only getting a whooping max 600kb download speed and a out of this world download speed of Failed.

She offered me nothing, saying there is nothing that they can do. I asked for a discount on my bill as I was not getting my full service. Her reply was to bassicly use my internet outside of peak hours, my response to that was is optus going to sent someone down to do my job so I can use what I pay for. Cause you know Im usually at work, working when everyone isnt using their internet. Other then that I was offered absolutly nothing, not even a sorry about how im wasting my money.

I honestly can not wait for the goverment to pass new laws that protect people from shady businesses like optus from providing what they call fast super reliable internet, that is slower then dialup.

P.S It took me around 50min to get this far into the fourms, login and type the message. something that if I sent a carrier pegion to optus with this message could of done faster.

0 Kudos