Searching...

Re: Everyone with Slow NBN Read this before moving forward

Albus

@Dan_Cthanks for that.  A couple of points though.

1) The link still does not work until you remove all of the chars after the .pdf

2) The PDF shows a firewall feature that, according to other posts in another conversation and confirmed by a moderator, that it does not work whether checked or unchecked

3) Sagemcom has a similar WiFi Router listed, with an extra feature, listed under a different product number

4) The document does not contain any info to help me troubleshoot my issue - like access to detailed log files or even tell me what the second phone port is for - apparently Sales can tell me according to the tech people???

5) Doesn't give me approximate range detaild for the different bands

NOTE: I don't blame the moderators, or the Tech Support Staff, as Optus should have this info available for those who need it or want it and are to blame for all of the reverse work flow continuing here even as I type.

Apart from that not much more that I can add.

casperchris

An update to my slow internet. Optus let me out. I'm now with Mint Telecom (Australian owned, based, and staffed!) and they are giving me 20-22mbps consistently on a 25Mbps speed plan at all times of the day. I had a bit of trouble with wifi and they helped me out which was great.

couldnt be happier. Now to wait out my phone 📱 contracts so I can be done with Optus for good.

wannabeastar

Well as expected I haven't heard from Optus regarding my TIO complaint about their pathetic NBN service.  The window where Optus had right of reply lapsed today at 5:00pm and I wasn't contacted.  This just shows the contempt this company has at present with regard to its customer base.  Well I've updated the TIO ticket to state that Optus were non compliant inaccordance with the TIO request so lets see if they get another kicking in the preverbial...  

@TezzaP I haven't had a chance to run any tests over the Easter break but I have run a couple tonight to the same server I normally use and the results with Aussie Broadband speak volumes for their service.

Speedtest - 20170418.PNG

Sam_D

Hey @wannabeastar - I've replied to your PM. 

TezzaP

@wannabeastar

they are some excellent numbers there happy interneting Smiley Happy

GlynR

I suspect that the reason why you can't see the Optus Sagemcom Modem model number on the Sagemcom website is because it is a "bastardised" version of another modem which is made specifically for Optus. Lots of manufacturers do this sort of thing for large clients.

(The FetchTV box would be another example where Optus has their own version of this box which would be identical to the version sold directly by FetchTV except that it has custom software developed ONLY for/by Optus).

Even if you could identify what model Sagemcom modem is PHYSICALLY identical to the Optus modem - the operator notes etc wouldn't help because the modem software is different for the Optus version where many features are disabled by Optus to make their support life easier (except when dealing with technically savvy people whom they just lie to and ignore anyway)

GlynR

Link doesn't seem to work as it has extra characters on the end

https://smb.optus.com.au/opfiles/Shop/Consumer/Assets/PDFs/Optus%20F3864AC%20Datasheet.pdf

Hopefully this one works!!

GlynR

I have got an an older Sagemcom Optus ADSL modem which I am using as a WIFI hotspot and the current Sagemcom Optus VDSL NBN modem which is also used for Wifi and they both have to be rebooted every week or so because the WIFI becomes unusable.

I have a Fritzbox ADSL modem (actually it does VDSL too and I did get it to work as a replacement SAGEMCOM modem - EXCEPT from the NBN VOIP phone line which won't work because Optus pig headedly will NOT release the configuration information "for security reasons"). Funny that the other ISPs release that information for their offering and don't consider it to be a "security issue"

The WIFI from the Fritzbox ALWAYS works and I have NO issues with it other than the fact that my property is large and the signal from the Fritzbox doesn't cover the whole property.

Basically the WIFI in the SAGEMCOM modems is pretty poor.

Ah, if only Optus would allow us to fully BYO modem with VOIP support - so many of THEIR problems would go away.

GlynR

Where are the random call centres getting your silent number from?

Easy

Do you ever get calls where no-one is there and which just hang up after you have answered.

This is a computer autodialler operated by someone with unlimited included calls (so it costs them nothing to ring).

These devices are programmed to ring EVERY possible landline number and see which ones answer.

If the phone call gets answered then they KNOW that the number is active and so the number is added to the list for a person to call.

So, they usually don't KNOW that it's YOUR number - they just know that someone answered the phone so it's an active number - even though it might be a silent number.

Since most of these calls originate from overseas call centres then the DO NOT CALL register is irrelevant since they are not subject to Australian law so there's no recourse to stop them other than to ASK them to stop calling and HOPE that they do.

The problem is that the same call centre may be making phone calls for 100 different companies and even if they do stop calling you from "company A" there is no guarantee that they won't call from Company B, C, D, E & F.

In any event they can just ignore you because what can you do?

GlynR

Le'ts say that the Sagemcom wireless is causing an issue but you have an extra wireless hotspot - turn OFF the WIFI in the SAGEMCOM modem and see if everything improves. If it does then you may need to purchase and install another WIFI hotspot to increase your coverage. - say install one at each end of your house or one upstairs and one downstairs etc.

My house has three wifi hotspots in order to get a good signal everywhere.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
103 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
14 Kudos
13 Kudos