Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Everyone with Slow NBN Read this before moving forward

Yep, visually looks familiar to me in Riverview 4303.

Visiting Telstra next week. Sales at Telstra Redbank advised that I would be on Level 3 service, what ever that means, but they did say no problem with NBN speed.

Any advice appreciated.

Very frustrated Optus customer.

Regards, KH

Optus-Speed-10062017.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

well i am done with this company .. so sick of crap service crap product and crap in general.   

Aussie broadband connected and in peak time 

Result:
Download Speed: 94469 kbps (11808.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 37306 kbps (4663.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 7 ms
‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2017‎ ‎9‎:‎31‎:‎00‎ ‎PM

compared to optus which is rather good tonight for my 100/40 connection

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

If your using the supplied optus modem guess what unplug it grab a hammer and go to town. I swear ISP modem should be illegal ISP should actually get a proper brand like D-link or netgear to build their modems my parents wouldn't get past 47/37Mbps speeds I plugged my D-link taipan and constantly they were getting 94Mbps down and 37mbps up or in real speeds 12.7 megabytes and 4.8 megabytes upload alot better than 200 kilobytes adsl+2 but unfortunately they can't use a modem like mine because they have a home phone.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Register a complaint with Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman.. Optus team are all liers. I use an app to record all conversations with Optus so I have a reference for myself and every customer service person has lied to me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

In the screenshot you are not showing the download speed that you claim to have.

You are showing a download speed SLOWER than your upload speed.

That would indicate that your connection to the NBN is pretty good but your local node cannot deliver data to you as fast as you can download it. So the ISP in this case has chosen to not purchase sufficient data allowance to service the node properly. Either that or the node was unusually overloaded at the time you did your test.

In any event the speedtest shows that you have a pretty good connection but the ISP is the weak link.

I often get high speedtest results but may get  much slower download speeds than the speedtest would indicate but this is just the nature of the internet and probably not an ISP fault. The slowness could be caused by a logjam anywhere on the internet but most likely in the international link (or I'm downloading from a slow server).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I'm that is your speed when connected to the NBN then you probably have a cable fault between the node and your house.

If that is an ADSL speed then you just have the same problem that I used to have - I was a long way from the exchange.

I now have NBN and my house is approx 0.7km from the node. My maximum download speed is around 34Mbps. and rarely varies from this (when using speedtest.net).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@-Sven-

I tossed the Sagecrap when i first joined 18 months ago as ive got to have decent port forwarding for a web server.

@GlynR

Mate i dont want to be rude but do you really know what your talking about?  have you read the rest of this thread?

lets get some things right .. 

Im on FTTH.    I have no issues between myself and the switch up the street, this is one of the first things i had checked with NBN who came plugged in and "wiresharked" my line

This is my optus connection tonight On port 1 of my NTD.   looks pretty good apart from the ping. but it will drop dramaticly after 7 when everyone settles in for a night of fetch and netflix.   

Below is my Aussie broadband taken just after the optus one on NTD port 2 huge performance difference

Last Result:
Download Speed: 94758 kbps (11844.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 38547 kbps (4818.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 7 ms
‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2017‎ ‎5‎:‎55‎:‎51‎ ‎PM

I have had these slowness issues with optus for the past 8 months.   I have already raised a case with the TIO, that occured after the first 5 min on the phone with the service desk when the guy told me there is an upgrade to NBN in my area and being a Sysadmin with CCNA i called his crap and called the TIO.   Ive raised a case with ACCC for bad business practice and Im also in contact with Senator Stirling Griff who is member of the Parliamentary Joint Standing Committee on the NBN.

Optus has been giving me a discount for the past 3 months until this issue either is resolved or i move after they acknowledged that I am congested at the CVC.  POI is fine.  

Decent internet is a requirement for me becuase night time during peak periods is when i need to log into work and conduct my changes when there is little impact to the company.    

I started this thread with a view to letting everyone who does not understand have a basic understanding of what the problems are because informed people become a collective that can lobby this bad business practice with a known bad contention rate but still happy to sign up new punters .. .. 

its just wrong!!!

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@TezzaPI have just lodged a complaint with the TIO as I have oficcially given up waiting for Optus to do anything at all really.  As far as I can tell they or Sagemcom won't or cannot understand how bad their hardware is so it is the only way tmake them understand.  At the end of the day I really only want what I had before a reliable internet connection, a decent WiFi signal, and a decent landline serice.  I would not have thought this was a big ask.  I may even send Malcolm Turnbull a letter about this too as it has been a massive time investment for little or no resolution.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

By the way, for those interested in volunteering for the ACCC program to monitor their internet speed, go sign up here: https://consultation.accc.gov.au/regulated-infrastructure/broadband-performance-and-monitoring-progr...

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Well I was not excpecting much after lodging the TIO complaint but was pleasantly surprised.  I was able to get some technical details for the SIP data but now have to find a VIOP WiFi Router that has a decent WiFi signal and I will be cooking with gas ... er microwaves ... While the person I dealt with was not an Optus Tech, he contacted me early last week, and appeared to want to help and was pretty efficient in getting some information I was after.  So I now have some work to do - finding a router with voip and decent WiFi.  Wish me luck and interested in what others are using for VIOP if they moved on from Optus.

0 Kudos