cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Everyone with Slow NBN Read this before moving forward

I also have another RSP connected Aussie Broadband who have their own backhaul from the POI I'm connected too and the speeds are consistent with what I am paying for.  The best part is they are upgrading their bandwidth at the CVC in my area and let you know when it is going to happen via email.  This is all Optus have to do a little information goes a long way to appeasing the publics perception of their actions.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the reply Hollie.

Unfortunately, OK fortunately, mine is generally quite the reverse.  Assuming we don't all crowd around the Sagemcom like it is the old valve radio in the lounge room in the 50's the WiFi is bad.  I have CAT 6 cabled directly to a WiFI hot spot I have set up using the Netgear CG3000 beccause the signal is atrocious using the new WiFi Router - no matter what Sales and you suggest though to your credit you added a caveate.  Now, even with this setup, we are continually getting dropouts, don't even have to ask .... teenagers or the spouse!, and both iPads have to reconnect a few times each  session so I can ony conclude that it is the Sagemcom that is the issue.  Given the speeds and pings I am getting using speed test, unless Optus is positively shaping those!, it can ony be the Sagemcom.  Can I test this?  No, as I don't have access to the router log files which should tell me about errors that are occurring and when.  Can I replace it completely?  Yes but then I lose my landline.  Can I ask support ..... maybe ...... though the call will be cut short when they tell me to restart the Sagemcom router.  Can Optus suggest tests that I can do on the Sagemcom to test the drop out theory - or maybe I ring and ask for a replacement and see how that one goes.

I will stress that I understand that your are trying to help and I appreciate that but this is like trying to diagnose a problem with a black box - you know what is entered but not what it does or what the outputs are just what they should be.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@wannabeastar

what sort of speeds are you geting during the day compared to night?  pings etc

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi @TezzaP,

I can't say what the pings are during the day as I'm at work but this is what I got tonight at 8:12pm.  I will attempt to run a few over the weekend and see how the results.

Speedtest - 201604122012.PNG

The highest ping I've had since it was connected was 13ms and the lowest has been 2ms.

This is the best result so far and it was done at 6:24pm.

Speedtest - Quicktest.PNG

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

Still the same problem:

and this is also a 100/40 plan.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@wannabeastar

and that myfriend, is what your internet experience should be minimum 24/7 with your connection or any connection capable of doing it .   

Aussie broadband obviously has its cvc's provisioned fully

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@TezzaP

Here are some ping times and DL and UL speeds as well.  All mostly fantastic ...... until WiFi issues which are still ongoing as I still get better coverage with the Netgear WiFI Modem Router than the Sagemcrap WiFi Router.

Date                                                                                                              Ping       Down    Upload

07-04-17Friday34:00 pm - 6:00 pm16:05Optus Sydney1247.9418.74 
07-04-17Friday46:00 pm - 8:00 pm18:40Optus Sydney1447.6418.72 
07-04-17Friday5after 9:00:00 PM21:02Optus Sydney1234.4418.99 
08-04-17Saturday5after 9:00:00 PM23:14Optus Sydney1331.9218.89 
09-04-17Sunday210:00 am - 1:00 pm13:16Optus Btown181818.8 
09-04-17Sunday210:00 am - 1:00 pm14:32Optus Btown1047.6718.83 
09-04-17Sunday34:00 pm - 6:00 pm15:42Optus Btown1047.5518.71 
11-04-17Tuesday210:00 am - 1:00 pm10:15Optus Btown847.8618.77 
11-04-17Tuesday34:00 pm - 6:00 pm16:15Optus Btown1147.518.81 
11-04-17Tuesday46:00 pm - 8:00 pm19:49Optus Btown1047.3618.77 
15-04-17Saturday34:00 pm - 6:00 pm15:33Optus Btown945.6918.74 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I used to have Optus cable, and due to its nature (shared medium), I thought I will get crap speed in peak hours, and I was wrong (lucky not many cable customers on my street). Then I moved to NBN (forced to), and thought I will never get crap speed (FTTN), and guess what? I was wrong again. Since I started my plan with Optus, I asked for 100/40, and I was getting 60/30 in good days, although I'm only 100m from the node. Then they said there is something wrong internal, they send a technician, it was the issue in the node. They dropped my speed to 50/20 (couldn't figure out what the issue is), and below is my speed test in 2 different days.

Test1 Test2

I a network engineer myself and not gonna bother calling optus support, as they will start asking me to turn the modem on and off, really sick of the script they read from,

I used to have ADSL1 around 4 years ago, and being 900m from the exchange, my speed was 10 times better.

No matter arguing with Optus, everyone should take the matter to TIO.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

@Mr_PT Before you go to the TIO I strongly recommend that you lodge a Complaint with your RSP and ask for a Case Manager to be assigned. Otherwise the TIO won't take your case seriously as you need to supply supporting evidence that you've attempted to resolve the issue with your RSP and that they have attempted (or not) to resolve your Complaint within their published resolution period, which can be up to 28 days.

The TIO receives many complaints, but the ones that are investigated need to have submitted evidence that resolution has been attempted.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Good to know @GKarklins. Thanks for sharing the information.

I will get onto this after Easter.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors